Good shops near Savannah?

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by gtg947h, Oct 5, 2007.

1. gtg947h

gtg947h Member

I'm not going to give names, but I've been to a couple of gun stores around Savannah, and I wasn't very impressed. Got ripped off by one, and once I realized that, I checked on the prices of the other things I was considering buying. All of them seemed to be asking much more than the guns were running in other places.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a store with reasonable prices and helpful staff? I'm not expecting super-dirt-cheap discounts, but I don't want to pay new MSRP on a rather beat-up 10-year-old gun, either.

Thanks!

2. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

If you're willing to drive to Hinesville, Mission Essential is good.

Dean Forest isn't great, but they're not bad, either. You just have to watch the prices very carefully and really examine that "deal" they're offering.

3. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

There is The Gun Shop down around Hunter and the mall.

4. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

I have dealt with Dean Forest Pawn, recommend but watch what you are getting. The Gun Shop has a small selection and seam high. There is also something Armory out on Johnny Mercer good selection but same as anything around SAV know what the going price is prior to shopping.

5. Hawkdriver

Hawkdriver Member

Dean Forrest has a decent selection, but after buying a handgun from them and then coming in and purchasing 400 bucks worth of ammo and other stuff, it was like I was being rushed out of the store. I also refered someone to them for a handgun and he was blown off even when I know that gun came in to the shop. Hit or miss at best.

The Gun Shop in Savannah by the mall is by far the friendliest. He does reasonable FFL transfers and will work with you, but because he is small, the prices my not be the best. That said, I will always spend 10-50 dollars more somewhere I get good service. Ive only purchased ammo from there on that principle alone. If you find a smoking deal on something, it might work out to do a ffl transfer to there.

Ive gone to mission essential in Hinesville. Nice shop, good selection and prices werent that bad. They have a nice indoor range. They are just a hike for me, so I dont get there much to browse.

There are some other pawn shops here and about, but mostly they are out to make a buck and be a thug. Not willing to even stop.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I've got to find a place with reloading components. It'd probably be better to buy in person because of the shipping for bullets and shipping/hazmat for primer/powders. BTW, powdervalley's site doesn't seem to have anything other than the homepage. Is that just a weekend thing or what?

7. gsusnake

Only reason I keep pimping them is because the owner is good people, and he's a true 2A supporter.

8. tace

tace New Member

Actually, if you don't name names then others might get ripped off, too. Of course most folks around here probably can recite you prices from top of their heads.

If you are looking for good prices on Sigs, I believe ordnanceoutsellers.com can get you some of the better prices even with the FFL transfer fee. They are also very pleasant to deal with.

Other than that I have no idea about Savannah dealers. If you are ever in ATL though, be sure to check out Adventure Outdoors :)

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Dang...this thread just had to come back up when I don't have class tomorrow...

10. gtg947h

gtg947h Member

I didn't give names at first because I didn't want to bias the results... but so far I've checked out Dean Forest and the Gun Shop (by the mall). General impressions:

DF - Seemed friendly enough at first, but applied a lot of pressure even when I firmly said I didn't want something. Got ripped off on a stripped AR-15 lower. Was also hustled out after buying it, and didn't get to ask too many questions. Very high transfer fees (guy on duty at the time said $50!), but their ammo prices seemed a little better.

Gun Shop - Guys there were very friendly and patient. Prices on some of their used stuff seemed a bit high, but overall good impression. Very small selection, though.

Any experience with Thin Blue Line (Garden City area) or the Armory (the one on Johnny Mercer), or any of the little places in Hinesville?

I might check out one or two places in Atlanta next week--I'm going up there for business all of next week, and I'll be visiting my parents and going to homecoming at Tech while I'm there. May stop at that Rifleman place in Macon on my way back, too.

11. gsusnake

Mission Essential rocks!

Mention GCO or GPDO and Josh might give you a little discount, too. I'm not sure about this one but he might.

12. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

Great place! Picked up my new P226 from Josh on Friday.

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

You said you didn't want something, but you made it out with a lower? I'm confused...

14. gtg947h

gtg947h Member

I wanted just a lower; they kept pushing me to buy a complete rifle--and not even the kind I wanted.

And oops, I actually meant to ask about the little places in Richmond Hill...

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Wish you would have posted on here about wanting a rifle. You could have ordered a lower or stripper lower/LPK/upper..whatever you want. www.semperfiarms.com

cdtracing is his name on here. Great guy.

16. gtg947h

gtg947h Member

Well, I started this a month or two ago... and about two days after I bought it, things happened, and I suddenly didn't have the money to finish it. I'm slowly scraping some together right now, but it'll probably be after Christmas before I can resume building

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Ah, gotcha. So you just got a stripped lower and getting the parts kit and all that later?

18. gtg947h

gtg947h Member

Exactly... the hard part is deciding exactly what I want. And getting the money for it--I also want a pistol or two (one for carry and a .22 for plinking) and I have a wedding to pay for.

I'm not planning on using this for serious competition (if I get into that later on, I'll modify as necessary), and I don't want to go all-out tactical with all kinds of equipment hanging off. I'll probably get a flat-top in case I want optics later, but for now I'll just use an A2-style carry handle and a sling.

My biggest debate is barrel and stock. I like the look and slightly greater velocity of a 20", but the longest range around here is 100yd, and so I kinda figure I'd be better off getting a 16" midlength barrel because it's lighter. Is that reasonable?

As for a stock, I can't afford a nice adjustable one, but I'm not hot on the basic ones; they look too plasticky. I like the look of a fixed one, but want flexibility because I'll be shooting from different positions. Does anyone know if the basic M4-style ones are resilient enough, and can they be modified (butt pad and covering for the ribbed areas)?