Good Samaritan arrested for helping crash victim

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Verbal101, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/good-samaritan-arrested-trying-save-crash-victim/nRD3s/

Was there ever a time when citizens and the "authorities" worked together more cooperatively? I don't see where saving someone's life is the appropriate forum for a pissing contest.

2. RebelCowboySnB

RebelCowboySnB Opinion Taken Elsewhere.

I have had to have people removed from a scene before but never someone trying to help. I am more likely to drag onlookers in to help. If the person helping is higher trained than me he is in command anyway, no matter who work for who an you dont have time to figure that out at a scene so I work with anyone that acts like they know what they are doing.

3. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Wonder if the cop warned him first or just arrested him.
    There's some very annoying folks that seek out accidents and fires just to be a part of the story.

4. magnum

magnum Active Member

At least the Father recognized what Bragg did was being helpful and concerned even though the Officer found cause to arrest him. However, we were not there to witness what actually happened and how it ended.

Hopefully the judge or someone will justly finding it more reasonable to drop the charges due to the fact he was acting as an aid giver.

Both parties could have been somewhat in the right in this case. :2cents:

5. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

He was told to leave the scene and did not. He argued and was arrested for obstruction. Once the medics arrive, and especially when you are told your services are no longer required, it's time to shag. Ive made arrests for the same thing, although it wasnt obstruction of LEO but obstruction of EMS/firefighter. These people only get in the way. Maybe he will learn what the word "leave" means.

6. JMan

JMan New Member

I agree, but if this was a case where it was family,say( My son or Daughter) I WILL NOT LEAVE and the ones trying to make me will have a bad day.I am speaking emotionally right now. :wink:

7. JMan

JMan New Member

Just another note, If I was this guy and I did what I could until the professionals showed up,even if I am a doctor.I will leave when told and let the liability be on them now.I wouldn't want that person to die on my clock and if someone is willing to take that blame then have at it.
    I will be a good citizen and try my best to help and not let them be alone,but once the EMT or Police show up and tell me that my
    Job is done, we got it,I will leave.

8. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

I get where you are coming from and I give a lot more leeway to family members but if they are consistently interfering with the care being provided, well, my hands are tied at that point. If not a charge then at least a temporary detainment is in order.

9. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

What mesa suggested appears to be lost on a lot of law enforcement these days. There's a big difference between restraining somebody temporarily to control the situation and charging them with a crime.

10. JMan

JMan New Member

Very true, and some needs to be removed or detain, you can't let your emotions get the best of you when something like this happens.That's why EMT's would be better to handle this as they're trained not to allow their emotions get to them.

11. JMan

JMan New Member

AMEN!!!!

12. RebelCowboySnB

Actually if you were a doctor an left at the time firemen arrived you would hold all the liability. You can not turn over care to people with lesser medical training, you are liable for all there actions if you do. Once you start medical care you have to stay with it until someone you know has higher training relieves you. Does not matter who works for who. I cant turn a patient over to a cop or firemen, a EMT cant turn over a patient to me an a doctor can not turn over a patient to a EMT. Once they are yours they stay yours till someone higher up takes them, never the other way around. We run in to this allot up here where we are on 2 state lines.

What training did this guy have? Was he being told by an equal or higher trained person to leave or was he higher trained an being told by a lesser trained person to leave? This matters.

13. JMan

JMan New Member

WOW, I didn't know that...Glad I am NOT a doctor then.. :righton: :righton:

14. RebelCowboySnB

Thats why a lot of doctors will not stop a a wreck. Once they stop an help they pretty much are committed to take a ride to the ER. I stopped my training where I did for this reason too.

15. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

I know of at least two doctors who keep their training a secret in non-professional settings so they aren't asked.

16. RebelCowboySnB

I think a lot do this. I only know of one doctor around here that volunteers in the EMS system. He owns his own fire engine an everything though, he has got the bug bad....