Good samaritan arrested by police

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Thorsen, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/braun/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/118542437088410.xml&coll=1

Synopsis:

Woman passing by police is asked if she can interpret for them. She agrees. She borrows a phone from a detective to place a phone call for the woman being questioned. After about twenty minutes she asks to borrow the phone again so she call concerning her daughter who she is supposed to be picking up. The officer tells her his phone is dead (although later video evidence shows him using it). She then asks for a phone from someone in the crowd watching at which point she is arrested.

Subsequent conversations from the police caught on tape are made discussing what they can charge her with. They ended up charging her with obstruction and resisting.

An unnamed officer is quoted saying that the arrest is "all f____d up".

The police department denies the local news organizations requests for video and police reports under the Open Public Records Act. The woman's lawyer provides the news organizations with copies he has been given.

An internal investigation is ongoing.

2. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

My interpretation of that statement is that he was dispatched to the call and that someone else (possibly) more did a nice job of effing it up for him and the woman.

Here, open records does not apply to an ongoing case. It does apply to all cases once they have been adjudicated or officially closed.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I do not understand what this is about? They arrested her, but for what? I don't get it. The article really does not make any sense, so I find it hard to get worked up about it.

4. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

Maybe told the person not to cooperate or gave them advise in which would be construde as interfering instead of just interpreting? dunno? They didn't mention anything like that...

:twisted: but the doughnut shop thing coinsidence?... I think not!!!!

5. legacy38

I hate to make a WAG based on a media report and and pertaining to people I don't know, but I have a bad feeling dude has done his best to get her attention to no avail prior to this incident.

6. legacy38

Most folks like doughnuts, but we get the bad rap for it. :)

You ever been to a doughnut shop? :lol:

I do have to admit that when I was an FTO and had a rookie that had never eaten a doughnut in uniform I took a demented pleasure in driving to a bakery and treating them to a doughnut. :twisted: I have no idea why it amused me so.

7. blind_shake

that's classic legacy :lol:

8. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

:rotfl:

9. blind_shake

You think he was trying to get her alone in the car to ask for her phone number? :lol:

but seriously, what if they aren't saying what she said to the person or family on the phone is what got her in trouble. If she was talking to say an illegal alien in spanish advising not to talk or tell the police they are illegal wouldn't that pose as interfering with police right?

10. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I OC'ed into the local donut shop (the good one, not Dunkin) at 7:30 the other morning. 11 cars from various agencies parked outside.

I've never been so scared in my life. :shock:

11. blind_shake

Like Daniel in the lion's den... :bowdown:

12. legacy38

My gut is telling me that this one several ways of bad, and the bad is on the part of the officer. It's quite possible that she was being more in the way than actually helping, but if that is the case why didn't they let her keep going when she walked away or thank her for her "help" and encourage her to go pick up her daughter. The only thing that I can think of for needing her ID was for report purposes since she got involved. Maybe he was trying to get her to answer such questions and she ignored him, but that wouldn't justify slamming and arresting her.

13. blind_shake

14. legacy38

hehehe

I was out and about one night and saw several police cars from another agency blocking the driveways (sealing off the exits) to a Krispy Kreme. The hot doughnut light was on and so where the emergency lights of the cars. Those guys had better be glad I didn't have a camera with me as the picture would have made it to every area agency and been in that department's mail everyday for a month or so. I might have even posted it at GPSTC on my next trip there. :twisted: :twisted:

15. blind_shake

I have a co worker who is retired alpheretta PD that has some funny stories like that :lol:

16. fallison

fallison Guest

I think we need to take a collection to buy Legacy a camera. :p

17. merlock

merlock Active Member

:lol: