Good Ol' Fashioned Age-Shaming Thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Mrs_Esterhouse, May 17, 2017.

1. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Am I the only one here under 40? :neener:

A point of personal concern, which NPR gets giddy over when reporting on stories about the aging gun owner population, is that gun owners seem to be in danger of going extinct. The meet-ups I've attended along with gun shows lead me to believe NPR is right—gun owners are old as hell. There seem to be very few young adults to replace those nasty, old, gun-loving dinosaurs as Terry Gross would quietly think to herself while grinning in front of the microphone.

The only bright spot I can see is that gun rights have massively advanced in the U.S. since the 80s and 90s. We now have some form of carry in every state, campus carry, the death of the '94 AWB, we have Heller and McDonald and a multi-billion dollar firearms industry in our camp.

Although I think many senior gun owners would relish the idea of turning into oil and being pumped into a Ford or Chevy, I am personally concerned for the future of gun rights falling to a generation that is mostly disinterested in them.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

Forty was a very long time ago. :)

3. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Teaching my daughter to take my place. She shoots well, is safe with weapons, and doesn't take BS from any of the Bubbas that try to "show her how to shoot". Mostly she out shoots them. So, I'm good on the future.

4. phaed

phaed Active Member

younger generations face much bigger problems than not being interested in guns. a gun is just a tool. without will, morality, and the ability to think critically, it's not even a useful one.

5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Oh, those don't make it useful. They merely make its use positive or negative depending on your perceptions and bias. The gun as a tool can be very useful for those without those things - its called anarchy :)

6. frankr

frankr Active Member

I'm grateful that we've made progress in the 2nd amendment, self defense area. My main concern now is that we're losing on the Internet privacy, right to encryption front, and net neutrality fronts. As in we're in danger of loosing all in the immediate future. I'm actually meeting with my Georgia Senator this week to discuss these issues. Very grateful for GCO teaching me how to be responsibly involved in the political process.

7. Feral

Feral Active Member

There's plenty of us that are under 40. There's just not many on this forum in particular. If you socialize on other forums you'll see that there's a young generation of gun owners.

Fortunately even many on the left are leaning towards gun ownership. People on both sides need to realize the petty squabbling doesn't help. We may not all come together on some issues but when it comes to civil rights we should.

For the record I am only 24. I've met many people in my age group who are interested in firearms or are already gun owners. The problem is getting them active and fighting for gun rights.

8. tbill

tbill Member

Some of us old guys are teaching grandchildren to value liberty, hard work, personal responsibility, and freedom. Mine are extremely resistant to being indoctrinated by leftist educators.

9. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

10. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Who is your State Senator, since you live in Johns Creek?

11. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Usually about like herding cats. Owned and carried at 21 myself. Glad there are people of each generation that understand that Freedom isn't free and progressivism is actually totalitarian collectivism behind a thin facade.

12. Feral

Feral Active Member

Oddly accurate.

13. frankr

frankr Active Member

14. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Barely under 40 ;)

15. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

We did a meet and greet at Sharpshooters with Sen. Albers a couple of years ago. He seems fairly supportive of GCO.

16. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

42 here, 43 very soon. Still feel like I am 25, though.

And not directed at the OP, but is anyone else here about sick and tired of the "shaming" trend?

17. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Thanks. He seems like a descent one. Many in the State Senate have delusions of adequacy IMHO.