good intentions, bad outcome. Lucky it was a leg shot.

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sharky, May 4, 2006.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Robbery Victim Shot When He Fights Back

POSTED: 5:52 am EDT May 4, 2006
    UPDATED: 9:43 am EDT May 4, 2006

DEKALB COUNTY -- Fighting back against an armed robbery earned a DeKalb County man a bullet wound in the leg.

Police say the robber tried to hold up the victim outside the Stop N' Go convenience store at 3521 Flat Shoals Road early this morning.

Witnesses told investigators the victim began to struggle with the robber.

That's when the suspect pulled a gun and opened fire. He hit the victim once in the leg.

The robber then jumped in the victim's car and took off.

The wounded man was taken to a local hospital.

Police found his car in a nearby apartment complex.

Store employees are checking to see if the store's security cameras caught the shooting on videotape.

2. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Would anybody here try to stop this robber?

Would force be justified?

Sounds like a quick smash and grab. Would have been nice to hear what he took....

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I would not fight back if I were not armed.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Why on earth would you not be armed outside of a convenience store in DeKalb County in the early morning hours? #-o

5. Malum Prohibitum

No smash and grab. Re-read.

Robber stops patron on way to car. No weapon. Patron fights. Robber pulls weapon. Robber shoots patron.

"Would force be justified?"

:sly:

What else do you suggest? Holding a sign? :help:

I think you must mean lethal force?

In Georgia, there is a statute that allows lethal force to stop the commission of a forcible felony. Robbery qualifies.

GS1 probably even has that statute posted somewhere on this site.

6. Malum Prohibitum

"Force" is justified any time you or a third party are attacked, and sometimes even when you are not.

You just have to make sure that it is the appropriate level of force for the given situation.

:wink:

7. Sharky

Sharky New Member

figured as much, I was just sparking conversation as it has been quiet in here..

I would have helped, only I never leave home without it.

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Not yet, however I plan to add a deadly force section before Stand Your Ground goes into effect July 1st.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I have no idea. I was thinking hypothetically since I am usually asleep in the early morning, always carry a gun, and try hard to never stop in DeKalb County. :D

10. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Don't be so quick to judge the guy for fighting back. He had no idea that the perp was armed. He could have thought like I would have, that I aint letting some punk hold me up and taken action to protect his property and self and found out too late that the guy was packing. Like GS1 though, I wouldn't be out in that area at that time and not be packing myself.

11. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

16-3-21 OCGA

paraphrase:

Deadly force can be used to preven death or grave bodily harm to yourself or a third person or to prevent a forcible felony.