Good Defense Lawyer? Just in case....

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by Mojoski, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Mojoski

Mojoski New Member

Hey guys,

This is slightly off topic, but this seemed the most appropriate place to ask..

Who has recommendations on a good defense attorney in the northwest Atlanta area that is very pro-2nd amendment. I'm wondering who's card I should have in my wallet in case, God forbid, I ever have to shoot someone in self-defense.

"Yes, officer.. I'm perfectly willing to cooperate. Here is my GFL, my handgun, and I'll need to talk to my lawyer, of course."

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks!

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

You would want a good criminal defense lawyer, not a Second Amendment lawyer.

And once you hand over that card - it does not come cheap!

3. Mojoski

Mojoski New Member

I agree 100%. My point was that I'd like to find a good defense lawyer that is known to be a supporter of people's right to defend themselves. I wasn't refering to a constitutional lawyer..

And a good lawyer is always expensive, but much cheaper than being convicted.

:D

Anyone know a good defense lawyer in this area that believes in a person's right to defend themselves?

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Good Lawyer

Ditto to what Malum said. The lawyer's personal beliefs about guns, gun contol, and the correct interpretation of the Second Amendment won't really mean much to you if you are charged with murder or aggravated assault, and you wish to claim self-defense.

What will count is the lawyer's skills, experience, familiarity with the morals and attitudes of the local DA's office and the citizens in the community (your potential jurors). The lawyer should first and foremost be a CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYER, not just some attorney who normallly works drafting commercial real estate contracts, but is a friend of the family or in the same bible study group with you.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Re: Good Lawyer

Ditto to what gunsmoker said. Some of the best work in a case like this might occur when the lawyer convinces the prosecutor to either not bring charges in the first place or to drop them.

6. Mojoski

Mojoski New Member

I agree that I need a good criminal defense lawyer. You guys are preaching to the choir.

So does anyone know a good one in the Marietta, Kennesaw, Acworth area?

Thanks!

7. grayelky

grayelky New Member

I do not know his position on private ownership of firearms, but he is one of, if not the best criminal defense attorneys in the North Ga. area: Jimmy Berry in Marietta.

For what it is worth, once you ask for your lawyer, the conversation between you and the police is over. It will not cost anything to sit and listen and see what the nice policeman/detective has to say. Be very cautious of what you do say.