Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Going to Charleston

580 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  mountainman444 
#1 ·
What should we see/do? We're leaving here early Wednesday and leaving Charleston Saturday morning.

I was thinking do historic churches and Battery Park (and the Market) Wed. night, Patriot's Point and Fort Sumter Thursday, Magnolia Plantation (and possibly Drayton Hall) on Friday, and find somewhere good to eat each night.

Any must-see Revolutionary or Civil War history (other than Ft. Sumter)? It's been years since I've been to Charleston.

#2 ·
Don't miss Hyman's Restaurant! Best seafood on the east coast. Deep fried lobster tails will make ya' slobber.

#3 ·
I have to find somewhere to get some She-Crab Soup. I doubt The Ice Box (in the Market) is still open, and they had the best...

#4 ·
The historical and ghost tours are pretty cool. I went on one that they took us down into an under ground dungeon that was used to imprison pirates. Some pretty good stories.

#5 ·
ClayD said:
The historical and ghost tours are pretty cool. I went on one that they took us down into an under ground dungeon that was used to imprison pirates. Some pretty good stories.
We might have to do that. We're celebrating our third anniversary, and our first date (the one we're celebrating) we went to Savannah and took a hearse tour. I had been planning on one of the horse-drawn carriage tours but if there's a good ghost tour that'd be less romantic, but more... uh... nostalgic?

#6 ·
gsusnake said:
ClayD said:
We might have to do that. We're celebrating our third anniversary, and our first date (the one we're celebrating) we went to Savannah and took a hearse tour. I had been planning on one of the horse-drawn carriage tours but if there's a good ghost tour that'd be less romantic, but more... uh... nostalgic?
I live in Savannah and see that hearse all the time, never been on it though. Even still, in Charleston there are many different tours to take most of which are walking tours. If i am not mistaken you have to reserve a spot on a tour. There are several stands located around the historical area to pick which tour and pay the fee. Enjoy your time and be safe!

#7 ·
ClayD said:
gsusnake said:
ClayD said:
I live in Savannah and see that hearse all the time, never been on it though. Even still, in Charleston there are many different tours to take most of which are walking tours. If i am not mistaken you have to reserve a spot on a tour. There are several stands located around the historical area to pick which tour and pay the fee. Enjoy your time and be safe!
If you do take the hearse tour (and it's worth it!) ask for Nathan, and ask him about his story at the old Candler hospital, specifically the entrance to the catacombs outside it.

#8 ·
gsusnake said:
I have to find somewhere to get some She-Crab Soup. I doubt The Ice Box (in the Market) is still open, and they had the best...
I go to Chucktown at least once a year since I was 8 years old, and I used to go a whole lot more than that, maybe 5 or 6 times a year. My favorite She-Crab Soup is a A.W. Shucks right beside the Market. Its not hard to find. Its easily some of the best I've had there, I've tried 20 or so places around Charleston for their She-Crab soup. There are other goods ones there as well, though.

#9 ·
EJR914 said:
gsusnake said:
I go to Chucktown at least once a year since I was 8 years old, and I used to go a whole lot more than that, maybe 5 or 6 times a year. My favorite She-Crab Soup is a A.W. Shucks right beside the Market. Its not hard to find. Its easily some of the best I've had there, I've tried 20 or so places around Charleston for their She-Crab soup. There are other goods ones there as well, though.
Oooh yeah, I forgot about Shucks. We'll definitely be eating there.

#12 ·
CountryGun said:
Don't miss Hyman's Restaurant! Best seafood on the east coast. Deep fried lobster tails will make ya' slobber.
^^THIS^^^ It's just not a trip to Charleston without it. I also recommend taking a carriage tour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.