Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first new Glock 19 a couple weeks ago and took it to the range. I liked it however it did jam on me during my first 100 rounds which I was a little surprised since I was not used to a jam since I have had a Springfield XD 40 which has not jammed once and I put over 1000 rounds in. I am hoping it is just a fluke. I fired my buddies 19 and had no issues at all.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
3rd or 4th gen?

Did you clean it first?

Some people are reporting some issues with the 4th gen 19's. Try giving it a really good cleaning first then put a couple hundred rounds through it. Try to use something a little hotter and see if you have issues (Speer Lawman is a fairly warm range round). If you clean it and it still won't work with good ammo then call Glock and they will send you the newer model recoil spring which should fix your issues.

If it's a 3rd gen then just clean it. It should be fine. If not, send it back to Glock (or swing by the factory, you're only about 30-45 mins away from it).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 3rd Gen. I am going to go back and shoot another 100 through it and see what happens. I cleaned it after the first 100 rounds so hopefully all will be good.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Try numbering your magazines with a marker and note what mag you're using when you have problems. Could be a bad mag. Also note what kind of ammo you're using when you have problems if you're using different brands.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a good Idea. Thanks! I know that when I did have a jam I went to the next mag and no issues so I will track the mags better the next time around. I always shoot Winchester white box since I never really had issues with it before.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has been a while since I have had time to get back to posting. However for those interested I report my Glock has not jammed once since the previous post. I have to say I have put so many rounds through it and I can say I am now a Glock fan. I enjoy shooting my Glock the most out of the rest of my guns. Just for those Glock fans out there that have read this and said "Glocks do not jam" :D well at this point I will say the same. Looking forward to next GSSF in Dawsonville.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unfortunately new third generation guns are having issues too, as Glock is now using G4 parts (such as the problematic new extractor) on all guns to save money. If you want a Glock, find a used Gen 3 gun from before the first half of 2010. Since you already bought the G4, take it up to Smyrna and get them to fix it.

At the moment, there is nothing that can be trusted right out of the box IMO. I recently saw a friend's p30 FTE twice in the first hundred rounds, and some M&P's have had their problems too.

·
Romans 10:13
4,671 Posts
I have a gen 3 19 with over 4000 rounds without a single problem. Not one.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Calvin118 said:
Unfortunately new third generation guns are having issues too, as Glock is now using G4 parts (such as the problematic new extractor) on all guns to save money. If you want a Glock, find a used Gen 3 gun from before the first half of 2010. Since you already bought the G4, take it up to Smyrna and get them to fix it.

At the moment, there is nothing that can be trusted right out of the box IMO. I recently saw a friend's p30 FTE twice in the first hundred rounds, and some M&P's have had their problems too.
The extractor with LCI is not a Gen4 part. It's a newly redesigned part used in both "generations." Some people aren't having a single issue with their Gen4 Glocks, don't forget that. People tend to overlook that part. Yes, some people are experiencing problems, enough to raise an eyebrow. But not all.

And your friends P30? Two FTEs in the first 100 rounds? Say it ain't so! A firearm with a break in period?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
theduke1997 said:
I bought my first new Glock 19 a couple weeks ago and took it to the range. I liked it however it did jam on me during my first 100 rounds which I was a little surprised since I was not used to a jam since I have had a Springfield XD 40 which has not jammed once and I put over 1000 rounds in. I am hoping it is just a fluke. I fired my buddies 19 and had no issues at all.
cool story bro :shattered:

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
theduke1997 said:
I always shoot Winchester white box since I never really had issues with it before.
of every gun ive ever had, and all of my shooting as a whole, 99% of my failures were with winchester white box or remington ammo, even though i very rarely shoot that junk.

·
BANNED (not really)
3,328 Posts
theduke1997 said:
I always shoot Winchester white box since I never really had issues with it before.
This is typically my goto ammo for range days also. But... I had some severely weak ejections from my normally rock solid Glock 21 yesterday at the range. Shooting a magazine of my personal defense round calmed my fears...

I have actually been shooting the Federal Champion in my 9mm (and it's actually like $1 cheaper per 100).

Bottom-line: label your mags (I do a simply dot vs. actual numbers) and try some different ammo before you blame it all on the pistol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts