Glocks Are Super Dangerous

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Nemo, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

They fire if the trigger is pulled. Super Dangerous. Better ban them.

Seriously gents, thats part of the reported news story.

Nemo

http://www.rollcall.com/news/danger...olice-weapon-left-unattended-capitol-bathroom

Yeps, super dangerous!!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  2. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

It's possible for 1911s to fire each time the trigger is pulled also... kinda rare though.

ronakia likes this.

3. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Revolvers will also do the same thing, with the only safety being the one between your ears.

4. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Does anybody know what percent of defensive carry pistols that DO have a manual safety ARE carried with the safety "on" and thhs not quite ready to fire?

My wild ash guess is nearly all model 1911's, but only 33% of other single-action semiautos, and 5% of striker-fired "safe action" guns similar to the Glock, Ruger SR series, S&W Sigmas, Springfield XD series, etc.

Also only 5% of DA/SA autos or DAO autopistols.

But, let's not count the models that do not have a manual safety; let's only look at the firearms that allow the user that option to carry with a safety engaged, to be manually disengaged when the weapon is drawn for defensive use.

6. moe mensale

I always carried my Berettas with the safety off.

7. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I would go with all 1911s. Because of the grip safety. Its mighty difficult to remove that, if it does not have one its not a 1911, and if its disengaged its in hand.

Might still be holstered but the safety is disengaged by being in hand, making not super dangerous.

Nemo :panic:

8. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Safeties come in many forms. Grip safetys, DA, etc. Heck, just look how many people still carry a revolver with the hammer on an empty chamber.

But if you're concerned with only a thumb actuated lever type safety, I'd say your figures are probably as close as anybody else's figures.

9. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

10. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

My Lc9s is always carried with the safety on. I also practice disengaging while drawing.

11. moe mensale

All XD variants - except the XD-E - have a grip safety and thus always carried with the safety on. Draw the gun, safety is off.

12. gunsmoker

No, that's not a manual safety. Don't play stupid.
    We're talking about a safety that disables the gun until you flick it off, and you have to do this with an intentional movement. Not just picking up the gun and holding it normally like you're going to shoot it.

Passive safeties like a grip safety and a blade lever inside a gun's trigger face DO NOT do anything to make a gun less dangerous when a child finds it at a public restroom and starts playing with it, or goes to shoot his brother like he does all the time with toy guns at home.

13. moe mensale

OK. How many striker fired pistols come with a manual safety? I can't think of any with the exception of Sig's P320 military version which has a manual safety slapped on. The civilian version doesn't. None of Springfield's striker fired XD variants has a manual safety. Their XD-E is hammer fired.

So how are you coming up with that 5% figure? Isn't that really 0%?

14. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

I believe the entire M&P line, along with the Shield can be had with a manual safety from the factory, or be retrofitted.

15. moe mensale

I'm not familiar with M&Ps so perhaps that would kick up the %.

16. gunsmoker

Taurus' wildly popular PT Millennium series, both original and G2.

FN's new striker fired FNS has a manual safety... or can be ordered without one.

Walther CCP.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some others.

17. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Taurus PT111/G2Cs all come with manual safety. Ruger LC9S can be had with manual safety. Ruger American can be had with manual safety. S&W Shields and M&P 1.0 and 2.0 pistols can be had with manual safety. That's just what I can think of, at the moment.

18. gunsmoker

OK so back to my original question---
    of all the striker fired modern defense of handguns that *do* have a manual (active) safety on them, what percentage of their owners carry them with the safety engaged ?

My point was, and is, that even if law enforcement agencies chose a service weapon that did have a manual safety on it, it is unlikely that anybody would use that safety. Unless the department required it to be engaged.

So the media's criticism of the Glock design is not well-founded.

If you're going to criticize the Glock handgun design criticize it for something legitimate like how in order to disassemble it for cleaning you have to withdraw the magazine, point the barrel at your own thigh, and pull the trigger, firing the chsmbered round and making the gun totally empty!

19. moe mensale

Since I'm now aware that manual safeties are a thing on some striker fired guns, I have to ask the question. Why would you buy a striker fired gun with a manual safety when that negates a major reason, if not "the" major reason, for having a striker fired gun in the first place? I bought my XD-M for the consistent trigger pull weight and not needing to fiddle finger or think about any manual safety.

20. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

I've crossed many guns off my list because the safety works opposite of a 1911 (push up to disengage instead of down). I would have no problem with using a safety on a striker fired gun if it operated the same as a 1911 as that's what I'm use to. I do have a M&P .40c but it is without safety.