Glock Torture Test

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by glockgirl, Apr 6, 2007.

1. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

I got an idea... Why don't he hold a blow torch to the frame for a few minutes then do the same test with a steel framed pistol and compare the results.... :twisted:

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

4. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

USMC

<KISSES>

Gotta love meand my cute little plastic gun

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Sure...right after we give a 1911 a mud bath and it can run through two mags without failures. 8)

6. pro2am

pro2am New Member

These torture tests that I see on every gun forum are interesting. But in reality, it's not about how much mud or baby powder it takes to stop a gun. There aren't that many gun enthusiasts or gun-carriers that would keep a gun in that condition, especially if you expect that tool to save your life.

If your gun is in the freezer in a block of ice, you have bigger problems than wondering if it will fire after it thaws out...for gosh sakes buy a gun safe instead...everyone knows that the freezer is the first place burglars look. Besides, it's harder to conceal with all that ice melting down your pant leg.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Mud not Realistic?

In a perfect world, if a bad guy attacked you you'd see it coming, draw, and use your weapon before he got to you.

In the real world, sometimes a physical fight with punching, shoving, kicking, and wrestling precedes the use of deadly force.

You might have your gun knocked out of your hand. Or it might fall from your holster when the bad guy kicks you down a hill. Or you might find yourself standing in a muddy place when the bad guy hits you with a tree limb, sending you and your gun (still in your hand) into the muck.

Now the blowtorch thing is absurd. The only heat test should be for when you leave your gun in your parked car on a summer day in the South. Oh, and the gun should be safe to work with around campfires, too. Other than that, fire resistance is not an issue. But I think mud / sand / leaves/ pine straw can be an issue.

8. pro2am

pro2am New Member

You have a good point. Why doesn't anyone do a torture test by rolling in the mud WITH the gun, afterward they can jump in a pile of leaves, now that would be cool. Some people may even pay to see it, depending on the venue.

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'll do it

If anyone wants to organize an armed obstacle course that is guaranteed to get you and your gun filthy, with a life fire exercise after each obstacle along the course, I'll do it. There are a couple guns of mine that already have enough cosmetic imperfections on them that I don't care much about a couple more. It sounds like fun.

10. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I could barely afford the one pistol I have now. I'll have to wait until I can build up my stock before trying to torture it.

11. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Its not hard to build a 1911 that will handle that test. It will rattle like a baby rattle. It won't shoot 2" groups at 50yds. Surly you don't think the ones that were carried across Europe and the Pacific were clean all the time.

In the early 1980's a customer brought his WWII surplus 1911A1 into my friends shop. His complaint. "My gun just quit working. He had carried and shot it over 20 years and never cleaned it. It still had the original cosmoline on the inside. After soaking it long enough to get the hardned goo out, it worked like new again.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Na...But I don't expect many 1911 guys to carry one that doesn't have all the bells and whistles.

Man, how can anyone not clean the gun they carry?!

13. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I hate cleaning the house but I LOVE cleaning guns.... kinda relaxing. I just set them out and clean them while I watch TV.

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Speaking of cleaning guns....... I just got back from the GSSF indoor match at Bullseye. It's time for my favorite cologne.... Eau De Hoppes, scent #9. :D

15. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Maybe I should volunteer my XD to go through the same sort of torture test and see how it holds up. I like the "Dropping from a Plane" test, thats awesome!

16. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

I once chucked my fully loaded G19 down range as hard as I could throw to prove to a friend that Glocks will not fire when dropped, much less thrown a considerable distance. The Glock sure enough didn't fire, but ended up landing in a patch of red clay and pebbles down range. We both went down range to retrieve the pistol and found that the magazine floor plate had popped off causing the magazine spring, feeder platform, and the rounds to fall out of the magazine. I picked up the gun and put in another loaded magazine I had and unloaded the entire magazine into an aluminum soda pop about 30 feet away without even inspecting the gun. The gun performed flawlessly and all the rounds went where I put them. Afterwards I found the pieces of the original magazine and re-assembled it and loaded it into the gun and fired the entire magazine with no failures.

So yeah, the Glock passed my own little torture test. It does have one scar from the test. Near the front sight on the slide there is a scratch mark where, I assume, the gun landed on a rock and scratched the finish off. That scratch mark has never rusted, even though it looks like bare metal showing.

The only failure I have had with that gun is a stove pipe with Remington standard 115gr hollowpoint. Upon further inspection I discovered a spur on the cartidge case where the bullet is crimped which would have caused it or any other gun to stove pipe.

Atleast now on any future Glock purchases, I am now first hand witness to the reliability and wont be subjecting them to the torture test and jeopardizing the finish. :oops:

For the record I do own a Springfield 1911 A-1 that I would never subject to a torture test. The gun is too damn beautiful looking to scar it.

17. pro2am

pro2am New Member

When I was considering what to carry the XD was at the top of the list. I read a torture test that was online somewhere on the XD. It was pretty intense.

Yes, the gun passed with flying colors.

found it:

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdo ... ory11.html

18. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I'm also thinking about getting an XD-45.

My 1911 is too pretty to think about torture-testing :D

19. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

man...I can't wait to get my Hk45

20. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Stop rubbing it in! :D