Glock Gone Swimming

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by RIPNITZ, Jan 7, 2007.

1. RIPNITZ

RIPNITZ New Member

Alright, this may be a very weird question, But please bare with me.
    I just found out today while fishing at my buddys pond that his dad (who just passed away about two months ago) accidentally dropped an older model glock into the pond while fishing out of a boat. It has been 8 years since that happened, but if I get it out, would it work? Would it even be worth trying to get? Also there is a .38 Special in there from 2 years ago, And were talking about 20 feet of water.

Now I do have diving gear being with the F.D. so it wouldnt be a problem getting it out, just wondering if it could be repaired/cleaned.

Thanks in advance! :righton:

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Corrosion can be a funny thing. It depends on the chemistry of the water. But my vote would be no, it isn't worth it. More than likely the smaller metal parts, like in the trigger, springs, action, would be too far gone. The barrel might be salvagable, but I don't think I would try it.

Might be a good paperweight though.

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Hell yes!

the smaller (cheaper) parts will be shot, but the barrel and the slide are tennifer treated. And the water is not going to hurt that polymer frame.

I say go for it.

But lets put it this way....if you find it I'll give you a couple hundred for it.

4. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

Yes, it will work. Glocks parts are treated with some sort of process that makes them corrision resistant. Being in a fresh water lake, I doubt it will have much corrosion.

Best thing to do is recover it and send it to GLOCK for a look over. They'll replace the bad parts. GLOCK may even do a trade if you can document the history sexy enough. They are always doing stories about GLOCKS being abused and still working.

5. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I agree. Retreive it. Take a look at it and clean it the best you can and then send it to Glock. I have heard of such stories where Glock has replaced the bad parts at no (or a very minimun) charge and sent the firearm arm back almost new. It's worth a try. Also tell them the story of what happened.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

If you like diving, and you do if you have equipment, what is the downside to going looking for it?

You mkight be shocked at the amount of sedimentation that might have covered it.

For a late Christmas present, buy your friend a good retention holster. :lol:

7. RIPNITZ

RIPNITZ New Member

Much Thanks to all reply's, and MP, My buddy said that if I can get it out, It's mine. He doesn't want it, even though it was his dads. So the way I see it, it's a free glock. Im going diving. :lol: :righton: \:D/

8. curtdiss

curtdiss Member

Go for it!!

IF you find it, it would make a great story. Especially if it was made to shoot again.

I bet you can buy (or rent) an under water metal detector.

You might want a magnet too. Northern Tools and other places sell magnates that can pick up several pounds.

Good luck and keep us informed...we will want pictures if/when you find it

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

If you don't already have one, I would include an underwater compass as well. Most lakes around here are not the clearest sort and making straight line passes through murky water is near impossible without one. Though I would watch out if you have a magnet too... or else no matter which way you face it will always be North.

10. RIPNITZ

RIPNITZ New Member

I do have a compass but shouldnt need it. I have a really good idea of where its located, at least in a 6 foot radius anywho.

Right now im just waiting on the weather to warm up a little before my arse goes twenty feet down under. Because I also have to deal with snakes and possibly gators in there. :shock: Oh well, gators are fun to wrestle. :righton:

But i'll keep you guys updated as soon as I can get her out. :D

11. mswicord

mswicord New Member

Silt will be your real issue....after 8 years it will be well covered with silt...the only way to located it with a metal detector or by draining the pond and sifting the muck....

good luck....hope you have good location to start from....

12. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

UPDATE on this story??? I was thinking about this thread the other day driving in the car and wondered what ever happened. Did you retrieve the two guns? Have you had them checked out?

13. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

If you find the GLOCK, PLEASE post some pics.

14. zone

zone New Member

Maybe the gator got him. :shock:

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:shock: :shock:

16. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

I think you have found an excellent way to spend some time. If you enjoy diving, shooting, etc. this venture will not disappoint.

Since you mentioned that you're with the FD, I am assuming you've been professionally trained for the environment & conditions as well as making your own risk assessments. My next remarks are intended for anyone else who may be considering such an activity.

Scuba diving, much like any other sport activity, has its own inherent risks. The environment is perhaps the most hostile to human life, second only to outer space. At any given time, one is approximately 30 seconds away from death.

Before undertaking an activity like this, a survey of one's skills as well as training to add / remediate any skills lacking, is in order.

For this particular venture, I see the following skills sets needed in addition to basic or advanced open water certification:

search & recovery
    precision bouyancy control
    advanced swimming skills (to avoid stirring up sediment)
    navigation
    rescue diving

Special consideration should be giving to these risks:

shallow depth (less that 32 ft)
    low visibility
    entanglements
    cold conditions (thermocline)

It may seem odd that a depth of 0-32 feet could be more dangerous than greater than 32 feet. Bouyancy control is much more difficult at shallower depths and the risks associated with an expansion injury or arterial gas embolism are greater at shallower depths. All due to the fact that the rate of volumetric expansion of air/nitrogen (or any ideal gas) is greater above the depth of 32 feet (or 1 atm).

Other thoughts

Always have a budy
    The dive team must be trained to work together
    Make a dive plan an follow it.
    Have a surface support crew
    Have a rescue plan... the plan should accomodate retrieving at least one unconscious diver
    Have a diver on the surface on standby, preferrably a rescue diver.
    use dye packs to signal trouble to the surface

Set abort conditions and stick to it.

This board is populated by individuals who all the time engage in activities that could be considered risky: flying, diving, shooting, dating, investing, driving... everything has risks... knowing what they are, how to mitigate them, when not to push them is key to keeping any activity fun.

Be safe.

17. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

For those who have not seen this Glock torture thread before. If you haven't you will be saying holly $hit before you get halfway thru it.

Now I am a 1911 man, but if I didn't already have my Colt I would be for sure carrying a "Tupperware gun".

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

"Just a reminder, this isnt a "test" only pistol. This is my usualy IDPA, 3 Gun, Carbine class pistol, and it does not get cleaned/lubed before use."

18. Hawkdriver

Hawkdriver Member

Impressive. :shock:

It still pains me to see a neglected rusty weapon though! :wink:

19. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Any updated on this?

20. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

It's a test article. Just let it go man... you should see what we do to some perfectly good airplanes in the name of science.