Glock Gen 3 vs. Gen 4

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Phil1979, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Are Glock Gen 4's that much better than Gen 3's?

I've also heard that Gen 4's are not compatible with a lot of accessories that fit the lower generation models.

2. Tru_Dah-V

Tru_Dah-V New Member

the biggest difference is the gen4 you'll be able to change the backstraps to get a better fit for your hands and the ambidextrous mag release. If you don't need any of those things I'd go with the Gen3 and use the extra money on some night sights or something.

3. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

No, they are glocks. Plastic guns. Nothing to see, move along. Get a real metal one.

Nemo

4. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Do my CZ75B-SA and Sarsilmaz K-2 count? ;-)

I have to keep my one and only Glock 23, it was my first gun, sentimental soul that I am.

Can't say that I won't buy another Glock - the dark side is strong. :lol:

5. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

All I can tell you is that my G26 Gen4 is the best shooting small gun I've ever laid hands on. I fully believe it is due to the dual recoil springs. My mom has a LadySmith S&W, a steel 9mm that weighs twice what my G26 does, and it has harsher recoil than my G26. And being such a small gun and me having larger than average hands, the backstrap that has the beavertail at the top really saves the old hand from slide-bite.

6. CardsFan

CardsFan Member

I agree on the updated Gen4 recoil spring. It's not a huge difference, but I perceived a slight reduction in recoil when Glock replaced my Gen 3 G27 with a Gen 4 G27 a few years ago.

I have seen a lot of people over the years say they like the grip better on Gen 3 vs Gen 4, and some prefer the older Tenifer finish process. Personal preference I suppose, but I do not share that opinion. For me, I see no reason to consider Gen 3 or earlier. I have never tried the back straps included with Gen 4 as the stock grip suits me just fine.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Meh, real guns have hammers.

8. Nemo

And are made of metal, not plastic.

Nemo

9. ken grant

ken grant New Member

If I am not mistaken , the G26 & G27 has the same recoil spring setup in both G3 and G4 Glocks.

10. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I routinely laugh at the range at folks that say silly things like "real guns have hammers" and "real guns are made of metal". Of course its the same laughter as in the old days when it was "real men only carry 45s". Shoot the pistol that you can handle best and hit what you aim at, and laugh along with me when you hear others pronouncements about what is "real" and what isn't.

11. Nemo

Yeah you leave that plastic thing out in the sun, sitting right next to mine. Yours will melt into a plop of goo and I will take mine home to keep my feet warm all night long.

Nemo 8)

12. mygunstoo

mygunstoo Active Member

Due to the blackstrap design on Gen 4, firing mechanism parts of Gen 3 and lower do no fit.
    Years back Gen 4 pistols were having problems but I don't remember at the moment.

I do see more gen 4 for sale than gen 3.

I had used both and preferred Gen 3.

13. CardsFan

CardsFan Member

Yeah, I get a chuckle out of the anti-polymer elitists as well. :lol:

I suppose we all have out little hangups about certain things where we pity others who don't "see the light", myself included, but it isn't firearms related.

As far as carry weapons are concerned, a reasonably priced tool that is 100% reliable, lightweight, easy to carry and shoot, has a huge capacity, the manufacturer is located within a few minutes driving distance, and has demonstrated will fix worn out parts for free (time and time again), is the criteria that is important to me. Anything else is just senseless noise.

Just view these kinds of comments for what they are - lighthearted comedy relief. :)

14. CardsFan

CardsFan Member

Purely my personal experience with Gen 4, I now have five Gen 4 models I have obtained over several years (two G27, two G21, one G17). The only problem I had with reliability with Gen 4 G21 models was with using extended mags, and I think my grip had something to do with it as others with the exact same setups in their Gen4 models had no issues. I was probably limp wristing a bit in those days. When using stock mags there were no issues.

Other than that, all of them have been 100% reliable.

15. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I try to, but it does wear a bit after the 100th iteration. :lol:

16. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Ill be able to pick mine up and fire it long after your beloved metal will be too hot to handle. As for melting :rotfl:

17. Nemo

Just a good thing the factory is close by and fixes worn out or broken parts for free. Not necessary for a metal 1911. They don't wear out or break.

Nemo

18. CardsFan

CardsFan Member

There you have it. Metal 1911's are the only man made device in the history of the world that never has parts wear out. :lol:

Cool story, bro!

19. Nemo

Yeps, there you have it.

Nemo

20. jlw253

jlw253 Member

Confirmed Gen3 26 utilizes the double coil spring.

[​IMG]

When the Gen 4's came out there were some issues with the spring tension and FTE's. Glock recalled the springs and replaced them with different configurations.

I have a Gen 4 23 that was subject to the recall. Several FTE's before but not a single one after.

I have the Glock (-) connector on each and I prefer the trigger pull of the Gen 3's.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016