Glock for LEO: 9mm or 40?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by lasido, Dec 17, 2010.

1. lasido

lasido New Member

Greetings:

My brother is a LEO in Illinois. He's been using a Ruger P89 for 15 years but its ready to be retired. His bias again plastic guns has finally waned, and he asking his gun nut brother for advise. Department carry regs are wide open in regards to caliber and brand. Most LEO's I know carry the Glock 40, either a model 22 or 23. But my brother isn't a "gun" type guy, and only shoots to qualify as required. Would he be better served with the Glock 17/19?

Thanks.

2. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I don't think that we should be choosing a gun for him. Anyone that buys a gun should do so based on an educated and informed decision, including trying various firearm models and varying calibers to determine what is best suited to them.

3. lasido

lasido New Member

Thanks, Red. You are correct, we won't choose for him. And I did advise him to spend a few days at the rental range trying multiple brands (Glock, SIG, S&W etc) and in multiple calibers. But he's kinda settled on Glock, since his partners mostly shoot them.

However, he's been a 9mm guy for 15 years. Any reason to "upgrade" to .40?

4. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

If he is just going to punch paper, why go to .40? Also he may have some leftover 9mm ammo.

5. lasido

lasido New Member

Sorry to be unclear. His Ruger is retiring, he is not, so this will be a duty gun.

6. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

What do his partners shoot?
    The ability to share mags can be a big advantage.

7. lasido

lasido New Member

Hey Ashe,

He says about 65% shoot the Glock 22 or 23. Some shoot 3rd gen S&W auto in 9mm, 40, and 45. A few shoot Berettas. Quite surprised at the assortment.

8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

If he's settled on Glock, either the .40 or .357 Sig would be good choices. Both use the same magazines. There may be a slightly less chance of a jam with the .357 Sig, as it's a bottle-necked cartridge.

9. GooberTim

GooberTim New Member

If he's just going to shoot it the minimum amount required to qualify with it, I'm not sure how much difference it makes....

10. samman23

samman23 New Member

If he is likes 9mm and does not plan on spending much time pulling the trigger, then 9mm may be the way to go because it is easier to shoot and get back on target.

If most of his buddies carry a certain caliber glock, it may be good to carry the same so if they were in a situation where they need to borrow a mag from one another it will be interchangeable. If he plans on carrying a baby glock(26 or 27), he may want to make sure they are the same caliber for the same reason.

11. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

If hes is used to a double action like the Ruger then maybe he should look at a Sig. It would be similar in weight and if he is hesitant about polymer guns this might just fit the bill.

12. OverTork

OverTork New Member

I'm a believer in shot placement over caliber. If, when rapid shooting, he can shoot a 9mm better than a 40, go with that. If it doesn't seem to make a difference in accuracy for him, go with the 40.

If he only shoots the bare minimum, especially with lighter-weight handguns, he might be better off with the 9mm.

13. ChCx91

ChCx91 New Member

If a majority of officers on his watch carry .40, then he should get the .40, same thing if they carry 9mm, he should get 9mm. If SHTF and he is in a situation where either he or another officer is out of ammo, they can share. Many departments across the nation (I think actually a large majority of all) are using or switching over to .40, so he would probably be better off with .40, but it really depends on what the majority carry in his area and in his department.

14. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

Tell him to go with the Ruger SR9 (or 40). It is lighter than the Ruger but roughly the same size. It is comfortable and easy to shoot and he already knows Ruger. The mag/round being standard within his departtment is obviously a joke so go with lightweight and semi-familiar. The SR series is lighter, has a magazine disconnect, loaded chamber indicator, cocking indicator and an external safety. He likes Ruger, he knows Ruger and trusts them so stick with what he knows.

Just my 2 cents worth and many departments are now issuing it since it comes in 40 S&W now.

15. ZTC

ZTC Member

Glock 20 or 29! :shattered: :righton:

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:D

17. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

First time I've heard of a Ruger being used in a duty capacity. I've wondered a time or three why Ruger isn't used for official situations.

I guess Ruger's being used more than I thought.

This department sounds weird. Does everyone spend their own money for their duty guns? Does the department supply ammo? If the dept supplies money and ammo, I can't believe they'd be so "wide open" about weapon types.

I second the thought about staying with SA/DA mechanism since that's what he's used to and he doesn't sound enthusiastic about training to be particularly competent with gun workings.

But, IANAGN. I am not a gun nut.

18. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'd go with the .40 since it's going to be a full sized gun, openly carried.

If your brother were asking about a compact gun with a two-finger grip... then I'd say go with the 9mm for better recoil control during rapid fire.

The .40 makes a bigger hole and has more mass to drive the hunk of expanded metal deep into the bad guy's body.

19. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

While I like the .40 SW, not every department is in the process of switching to it. I was once issued the Glock 22 as my duty service weapon, but the department moved us to the Glock 21. If he is competent and comfortable with the 9mm after all these years, as others have suggested sticking with the 9mm is probably not a bad idea.

Having a uniform duty caliber amongst patrol officers is nice, but not nearly as useful in my eyes as having a uniform patrol duty weapon. For example, NYPD standardized on the 9mm several years ago. But they issue one of three different service weapons to their patrol recruits (recruits get to choose during the NYPD academy) and the magazines are not compatible between them.

So yeah, while NYPD patrol officers share a common caliber and can share ammo in a nasty situation, this non-uniform policy exposes them to the worst case where they may be required to strip rounds from a Glock mag and re-load them into a Sig or Smith service mag in the middle of a firefight. I'm not real comfortable with that. I like the fact that we are all using the Glock 21, and the fact that any patrol officer's service mags are usable in both my service weapon as well as my Glock 30 duty backup if I ever need to call it into action.

20. mswicord

mswicord New Member

G 23 with spare G 22 mags......