Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARE A P-I-T-A. It took all of my steadiness to be able to load the tenth round in all three magazines. Why in the world did Glock engineer these things the way that they did? Seriously? Do the springs need to be THAT strong? Also with a fully loaded 10 rounder when I try to load the mag into the receiver I can't slap the mag in like I would my 1911... I have to press on the bottom of the mag with one hand and press on the top of the slide with the other just to make the magazine lock into place. With 9 rounds in the mag it's not an issue but with the 10 rounds it just ain't happening. And I'd really like to be able to load that tenth round.

My question is.... why did Glock make the 10 round 45 mags so daggum stiff and how can I break it in to make it more usable??

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
Tell me about it! :shock:

I went and loaded all my G30SF's mags up and am letting them sit loaded. Hopefully, they will be somewhat easier to load all the way up the next time I take it to the range.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
In my experience all Glock mags are hard to load fully when brand new. Give em some time and the springs should loosen up a bit.

I believe loading/unloading them a few times would loosen the springs up more than letting them just sit there, but YMMV

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
In my experience Glock 30 mags will also put a nice dent in the top cartridge when you ram it home.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
So is there a cure for this?

How about a replacement follower, or modifying the factory one, so it's thinner and will go down a bit lower?

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2 days of keeping the mags at full capacity seemed to have lightened the tension a tad making loading that last round tolerable. Last night I loaded and unloaded each mag 10 times and tonight I can slam the mags locked in the weapon now. They just have to be used and it will get better. I'm going to take it to the range tomorrow and run a couple hundred rounds through it and see what happens. I have some pumpkins laying around from thanksgiving that need a good killing.....

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
MesaCranker said:
2 days of keeping the mags at full capacity seemed to have lightened the tension a tad making loading that last round tolerable. Last night I loaded and unloaded each mag 10 times and tonight I can slam the mags locked in the weapon now. They just have to be used and it will get better. I'm going to take it to the range tomorrow and run a couple hundred rounds through it and see what happens. I have some pumpkins laying around from thanksgiving that need a good killing.....
Glad that worked. I've got a Glock 17 mag that I still have to use the mag loader with to get the last round in there, and even then it's a fight. My older mags load and feed no problem though.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My G23 never had this issue. The mags were tight but never this bad to start off with. Now they're as broken in as my issued G22 mags. I'm glad... I was really getting buyers remorse there for a second.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Send me all your 10 round mags... that is all Hawaii allows me to have out here. There will be some happy folks out here when I sell all mine after 15 years of 2A oppression. :D

Moving to GA in early 2012.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
vooduchikn said:
after 15 years of 2A oppression. :D

:shock:

Dang! Been home-steadin' there for a while? :mrgreen:

A good friend of mine is fixin' to PCS out there in the next few months. I helped get him addicted to firearms as well as talking him into finally getting his GFL last year... then the army goes and moves him out there! :x :(

·
Registered
504 Posts
ARMT Guy said:
vooduchikn said:
after 15 years of 2A oppression. :D

:shock:

Dang! Been home-steadin' there for a while? :mrgreen:

A good friend of mine is fixin' to PCS out there in the next few months. I helped get him addicted to firearms as well as talking him into finally getting his GFL last year... then the army goes and moves him out there! :x :(
15 years....none by choice...

·
Registered
698 Posts
That's why I carry a G21 mag as a backup. I only have to load and insert the G30 mag once, reloads would be much easier.
When I go to the range, i always take the Glock mag loader.
I've gotten to where I can load it pretty well without the loader, but if I'm going to be re-loading the 10-rounder more than a couple of times, I know my thumbs and fingers are going to be getting sore, so I keep it handy.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have noticed them getting much easier simply after loading them, unloading, then loading them probably 5 times a night. Any more than that and the calluses on my fingers start to tear on the mag lip. I haven't been able to take the G30 to the range yet to fire it but I did get my 3.5# connector in the mail on Thursday which I promptly installed! That new connector makes the trigger pull so sweet and the reset is really great too. I did the same mod to my G23 which I carry on duty as a back up and had great results with it as well. I only have an extended slide release on back order with midwayusa.com and I'll be good to go. I won't be in town on my off days this week as I'm going to Augusta so my fiance can finish moving her stuff up here with me so I might have to bite the bullet (pun sorta' intended) and go to a public range... maybe Shooters? Been there in the past and they don't put up with any shenanigans.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'll loan you my Mag lula for a few days, I'm near Food Lion. Never done a G30 myself ,but it works on everything I've used it on 'cept .22 cal.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
i hate the mags for my glock 26. im probably gonna break them down today and see what can be modified on the inside. these glocks seem to be decent for a cheap gun, but they aint no 1911, thats for sure.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
270sniper said:
i hate the mags for my glock 26. im probably gonna break them down today and see what can be modified on the inside. these glocks seem to be decent for a cheap gun, but they aint no 1911, thats for sure.
Yep they're definitely not, they don't require a break in period, don't need after market $30 magazines, and will eat any sort of ammo :lol:

Had to do it

P.S. Yes, I own both and I carry a Glock.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
dcannon1 said:
270sniper said:
Yep they're definitely not, they don't require a break in period, don't need after market $30 magazines, and will eat any sort of ammo :lol:
maybe your using the wrong 1911s..... ive never had any problems out of ANY of my 1911s.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
270sniper said:
dcannon1 said:
270sniper said:
maybe your using the wrong 1911s..... ive never had any problems out of ANY of my 1911s.
Kimber Pro Carry II, Springer Mil Spec, and Taurus all required at least 300 rounds for a break in and all were picky about ammo/magazine combinations (using JHPs, all were fine with ball). I love 1911's and they are by far the most accurate pistols I own, I just really like the out of the box reliability and the light weight of my Glocks for a carry gun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts