Glock 23 Gen 4 -- 3 FTE in first 39 rounds

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by jlw253, Oct 23, 2010.

1. jlw253

jlw253 Member

Picked up a 4th Gen Glock 23 today. Love the new grip size and texture. The trigger pull is much improved -- I shot it side-by-side with a Gen 3 G23. Will drop in a (-) connector as soon as it comes in from Chris' Winning Shooting Accessories early next week.

I did have THREE FTE's (eject, I believe and not extract) in the first 39 rounds, though. The subsequent 70 rounds went off without a hitch.

Anyone have similar experience with a new Gen 4?

[​IMG]
    Glock 23 Gen4 FTE - 1 by jlw253, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Glock 23 Gen4 FTE - 2 by jlw253, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Glock 23 Gen4 FTE - 3 by jlw253, on Flickr

I will give this new Glock another several hundred rounds before I trust it to carry.

2. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

did you try feeding it any other ammo to see if that could be the prob. I dont own any glocks personally so i dont know what they like to eat but... worth a shot

3. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Heh. I wouldn't trust any firearm for carry without several hundred rounds through it.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

This.

Was the anti-sieze cleaned out and the gun lubed before using?

Where you using quality ammo or lower power economy ammo?

Same mag on all malfunctions, or different mags?

Were you using a firm or weak grip when it happened?

5. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

6. jlw253

jlw253 Member

Most anti-sieze left in place. Barrel and rails wiped and lightly lubed. Would not have considered it a good cleaning.

Was using Atlanta Arms re-loads from the range. Didn't think to check the stamps on the casings from the FTE's to see if they matched. Haven't had trouble with Atlanta Arms re-loads in a Gen 3 G23. Could be combination of less-than-perfect rounds and a brand new recoil spring.

2 failures w/ one mag and 1 failure with another. Third mag had zero failures.

Relatively firm, normal grip.

Agreed.

7. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Ooof... Atlanta Arms reloads.

8. ber950

ber950 Active Member

The recoil spring in the Gen 4 is stiffer than the previous Glock recoil springs. It is definitely designed for full power loads. Glock has gone to supplying a different spring for the 19's but I don't know about the 23's The latest recoil assembly for the 19 is marked with an 03.

I wouldn't really sweat it unless you have at least 200 rounds through the gun and it does it with full power defensive ammo. New guns can have a few small burrs that polish out with time and range reloads can be a little on the weak side.

One trick to help a new spring is to lock the slide back for a week or so. It will help the spring take a set.

9. vr6glidriver

vr6glidriver New Member

I've never had a FTE or FTF with my Glocks (both are 10mm), even with Atlanta Ammo...

Assuming it's not being limp wristed - I'd take it by Glock and have them examine it, my buddy had weird scratches on his casings on his G30 (posted a thread awhile back) and Glock took it in, ran some test rounds, and found it was the springs in his mags were still pretty new (only one mag had been shot - and only a handful of times) in combination with him loading the mag with the slide closed, then chambering, vs. open and locked slide then chambering - that was leaving the etchings on the cases. They even threw on some night sights at no cost :righton:

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

In the first box of ammo is too soon to take it to Glock.

11. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

Perfection in tupperware, riiight... [​IMG] :shattered: