Glock 22 Gen 3 or 4

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by a_springfield, Sep 26, 2010.

1. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I have just got a new job(well all that is left is to sign the paper work and start hopefully Oct. 4th will be my first day) :D . And I was going to surprise myself with a new gun. I love how my buddy's glock 23 shoots but I would rather have a full size. Does anyone have a preference to the gen 3 or 4 in the 22. I like the way the 3rd gen fills so I dont think that the back straps would be worth anything to me, plus I can get a police trade in for around $400 verses the $500 for a new one. Is there any other differences than the frame that I should look into (that make much difference).
    Thanks
    a_springfield

2. Ty D

Ty D New Member

The updates to the Gen 4 include: modular backstraps, the Rough Textured Frame, a dual recoil spring, and an oversized ambidextrous magazine release. If the grip size and texture feel right to you, if you aren't left handed, and if you never intend to put a rail mounted light on the gun... then a GLOCK 22 Gen 3 is for you!

However, there are known reliability issues with the Gen 3 induced by WMLs. These issues have been resolved in the Gen 4 due to the dual recoil spring (which is not interchangeable with the Gen 3). The dual recoil spring also takes some of the snap out of the "snappy" .40 for a reduced perceived recoil. And as a bonus, buying them new, you get three mags with the Gen 4 as opposed to two with the Gen 3.

3. Ty D

Ty D New Member

Also, have you handled the Gen 4 yet? A lot of people who have liked the way the standard GLOCK felt have changed their minds when presented with options.

ETA:
    The reliability issues with WMLs is ONLY in the G22, and the benefits of the dual recoil spring in the G17/19 is therefore very minimal and the only significant differences then are the grip and ambi mag release.

So if it isn't already clear, my preference in the G22/23 is for the Gen 4.

4. brianh

brianh New Member

+1 for the Gen4 model. I've had one now for a few months and think it is a significant improvement over the Gen3 version. Don't get me wrong - there is/was not much wrong with the Gen3 models, it is just that the grip improvements on the Gen4 models makes them better.

5. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

are companies making conversion barrels to go to .357sig for the 4th gen?

6. Ty D

Ty D New Member

There is no difference in barrels from Gen 3 to Gen 4. They are interchangeable. A conversion barrel made for the Gen 3 will fit a Gen 4.

7. Galahad

Galahad New Member

I have a Gen 4 G19 and really like the new, smaller grip (sans backstrap) and the updated texture.
    You're not going to get the wrong gun either way, but I would go for the 4th generation gun if the price difference is reasonable,

8. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

I have a Gen. 4 17 and 19. The double recoil spring DOES make a quantifiable time difference on reducing my split times between shots. The reversable enlarged safety (not ambi like the Picatinny railed version of the G-21SF) and the improved frame texture are significant improvements over the Gen. 3 guns IMHO.

Some folks have had trouble with the Gen. 4 nine mm guns because Glock shipped the original batch with the same recoil springs as the .40. These people had cycling issues especially with cheap underpowered practice ammo. There are two fixes for this; 1. call Glock and they'll send you a new spring unit that ain't as strong. 2. lock the slide back for about a week or just shoot the crap out of the gun to break in the spring.

The second issue I've heard of is that the backstraps can come loose from the heel of the grip under certain conditions like dropping the pistol or smaking it into walls, furniture, etc...