glock 17 ccw

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by glockguy, Jul 18, 2007.

1. glockguy

glockguy New Member

Has anyone ccw a glock 17? If so, with what type of holster. Just wanted to know. I like the feel of the full size and didn't want the 19. :D

2. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

no but i've tried with my G22 (same size).. its pretty tough for a little guy like me. i'm 5'7" and 155 lbs and i felt like i was printing everywhere.

this was with a, crap, what is it... bianchi? I dunno, but its a leather IWB rig.

i doubt a G17 will fit in many rigs for CCW other than IWB, but i might be wrong depending on the size of the person and the holster setup.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

1st :welcome: to GPDO!

I used to carry a Glock 17 all the time. It concealed nicely IWB with a Comp-Tac Shirt Tucker holster. If I had it to again, I would probably spend the few extra dollars on the Comp-Tac C-tac for Kydex. I have been more into leather holsters lately though. Check out http://www.southernholsters.ecrater.com. Tom is a member of this site and a member of GCO. He also does great work for a decent price. Last I checked, his "custom" goods section was still going to be down for another week or two, while he updates the site and takes a vacation. I have one of holsters for my PPK/S and a belt of his. I also have a holster on order from him for my S&W M&P9.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I carried a Glock 22 OWB for years. Bianchi Black Widow holster.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Tom at Southern Holsters is a great guy to do business with. When I wanted a 'Memphis' IWB holster fo rmy Walther PPK/S he didn't have the 'dummy gun' to make one, so he ordered it to make my holster, then added the PPK/S to the list of holsters that he can make. He did the same thing with my M&P. He doesn't currently make that one or have the 'dummy gun', so he has ordered a 'dummy gun' and will make my holster when it comes in. Alot of holster makers may be tempted to say "sorry, we don't make a holster for that".

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Looks like Tom views it as a business expansion opportunity. :righton:

7. Malum Prohibitum

And he is a GCO member. Here is more information.

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I've carried a 17 in a belly band with good results. I usually carry a 19 or 27 though.

9. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

I CC a G17 all day while the sun is up in a "thunderwear" holster... and I'm a 6'6" 200lb guy (which some people consider "freakishly skinny")... honestly, I forget it is there quite often.

I rotate it where the slide is directly behind my left pocket and the bottom of the grip is behind my zipper... which makes people think I have B.C.S... otherwise know as Bulging Crotch Syndrome.

10. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

i use my boyfriends blackhawk cqc that is for a 17. i use it with my 19 but it works fine just covers more of the barrel. If you have an untucked shirt it is pretty well covered up.

11. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

Really?!?! Dang it... is that the only CC holster you use, glockgirl?

The reason I ask is because my wife says she won't carry her Glock 26 because she wants to CC (not OC) and there is no where for her to hide it. Yesterday, I contemplated PMing you and asking how you carried your G19 concealed, but never got around to it. She refuses to carry a purse and will not change her wardrobe to something baggy enough to carry. Her line of work demands she wear exercise clothing too tight to hide anything under.

Any suggestions? It looks hopeless to me. :(

12. Blackadder

Blackadder New Member

It's not the length of the slide that adds to "printing", but the grip. I made some new leather struts for the C-TAC that allows me to carry my G32 with an extreme forward cant. This helps put the grip more parallell to my body and keeps the slide out of my hip.

I'd rather have a full size grip myself, but for a ccw you sometimes have to make some compromises. I never thought I'd be able to carry a subcompact, but with a little range time I'm just as confident shooting my G33 as my G20 at 25 ft.

13. Malum Prohibitum

A modest, and slightly oversized T-shirt covering both her charms and the pistol works well! :D

And still looks like "work out" gear. :wink:

14. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

:lol: That's what I said...

She won't do it... Hence the "(not OC)" in my other post.

I also suggested she wear JNCOs... :D

True, that's why I cut my G17 grip down to accept the G19 mags... so technically I don't carry a G17 everyday... I carry a hybrid.

15. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

She dresses very modestly, but her clothing is still right against the skin and she doesn't want to wear bigger clothes.

I can't see her hiding a mousegun, much less a G26.

16. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

This kind of clothing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

18. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

:lol: I'll try to sell her on it...