Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 of the drop-free 13-rnd mags a while back for my Glock 23, and on purpose only kept 12 rounds in them to save the spring. I now figure, springs are cheap, just fully pack them. They've been loaded with 12 for at least a year.

I've got strong hands and thumbs, and have good loading technique, and never use one of those plastic loading helpers (though I've got one). For the life of my I haven't been able to load the last round in either magazine. Even tried the helper tool yesterday, but it wouldn't budge it.

Finally, after 2 days of seriously trying, I got it in - and without using the helper tool!

Now get this, I then slam the mag into the gun, and it doesn't seat. I slam it again hard, and nada. So, I did the chest press with a hand on either side, and forced it in.

Will there be any functioning problem with the round so tight up against the slide?

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
I've seen the same issue with fully loaded, full capacity Glock magazines. Some eventually get easier, others don't. I remember having a devil of a time getting the last round to seat in some new Glock mags and usually did pretty much what you did; load them to capacity (except I would load and reload them.)

If you're worried about function, then use the G23 as a 12+1 shooter, not a 13+1, at least until the issue is resolved.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I usually load them to full capacity and let them sit for a couple days. I have not had any issues so far with it. My G23 was hard too load with full mags but it gets easier over time. Running about 50-75 round through them usually helps also.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
I used to have 2 G23s. I've had times when I was loading mags, I'd loose count and think I had 12 in the mag and tried to force #13 in when it was already there. The little round windows are not exact and in some mags #13 shows in the #12 window, or maybe just at the top of #13. Just a possibility.....

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GooberTim said:
I used to have 2 G23s. I've had times when I was loading mags, I'd loose count and think I had 12 in the mag and tried to force #13 in when it was already there. The little round windows are not exact and in some mags #13 shows in the #12 window, or maybe just at the top of #13. Just a possibility.....
I double-counted.

My 15-round mags don't have this issue, only the 13-rounders.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Phil1979 said:
GooberTim said:
I double-counted.

My 15-round mags don't have this issue, only the 13-rounders.
Well, I had this problem a time or two. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself I'm not the only one who ever did this... #-o

·
Registered
477 Posts
Load them and shoot them. Springs wear from being compressed and decompressed. The .40s have stronger springs to cope with hot ammo, weapon mounted lights and slide velocity issues.

The strong pressure when seated with slide forward is common with most pistols and full mags (usually 10+ rds for max capacity).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts