Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May of 2009, President Obama said the current deficit spending was “unsustainable,†and went on to say:

We can’t keep on just borrowing from China. We have to pay interest on that debt, and that means we are mortgaging our children’s future with more and more debt.
Source

He went on to propose a tiny budget cut in some programs while pushing for massive increases in others, and was ridiculed by the republicans for doing so. Personally, I think the republicans should have used the platform of his statements to challenge the POTUS to lead by example, but that is hindsight.

But POTUS Obama did do one thing. He did what all politicians do when they don't want to make a decision, he punted to a debt committee, the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform, commonly called the President's Debt Commission. And what did they say today in their report? They said:

If we don't make enormous cuts the reckoning will be sure and the devastation severe
They went on to call for severe cuts in both military and social spending, the two primary areas of our budgetary expenses.

And because of this commission's report combined with this latest election, we are now having leaders call for "adult conversations" regarding our annual deficit spending and total national debt load. So, while you may or may not agree with all the sections of this commission's report (I don't), I think we have to give credit where credit is due.

So from me, thank you POTUS Obama. Even though you did not lead by example, and punted an issue you knew was probably the greatest long-term threat to our nation to a committee. Thank you at least for appointing that committee. And thank you for allowing their report to be published.

See, I can give credit where credit is due.

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
NOT!!!!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
When I was in the Corps, I saw an order form for some supplies, and on that form was an invoice for a $200 hammer. The government spends rediculously.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
COMMANDER1911 said:
When I was in the Corps, I saw an order form for some supplies, and on that form was an invoice for a $200 hammer. The government spends [s:1kzyzs2o]rediculously[/s:1kzyzs2o] ridiculously.
Some people spell ridiculously. :lol: Just kidding man. Thought it would be funny. :righton:

There are a few things to give Obama credit for, and this is not really one of them.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Whose idea was it to let the government spend more money than it has? Going into debt shouldn't even be possible because those lunkheads shouldn't be able to budget more than they actively have.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Hack Causality said:
Whose idea was it to let the government spend more money than it has? Going into debt shouldn't even be possible because those lunkheads shouldn't be able to budget more than they actively have.
The country does need to be able to take on debt in a pinch.

·
Registered
865 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
Hack Causality said:
I disagree. The government should budget a percentage under the total tax collected each year and save it. The only situation in which the government should EVER be allowed to spend more than it has is a declared war.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Hack Causality said:
GAGunOwner said:
[quote="Hack Causality":1uhjwqgr]Whose idea was it to let the government spend more money than it has? Going into debt shouldn't even be possible because those lunkheads shouldn't be able to budget more than they actively have.
I disagree. The government should budget a percentage under the total tax collected each year and save it. The only situation in which the government should EVER be allowed to spend more than it has is a declared war.[/quote:1uhjwqgr]

Wouldn't a "declared war" be "in a pinch?"

·
Registered
865 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
Hack Causality said:
GAGunOwner said:
[quote="Hack Causality":3bdyizmg]Whose idea was it to let the government spend more money than it has? Going into debt shouldn't even be possible because those lunkheads shouldn't be able to budget more than they actively have.
I disagree. The government should budget a percentage under the total tax collected each year and save it. The only situation in which the government should EVER be allowed to spend more than it has is a declared war.
Wouldn't a "declared war" be "in a pinch?"[/quote:3bdyizmg]

Depends on your definition of pinch. Considering the last declared war was sixty-five years ago, I felt clarification was in order.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts