Gilmer County GWCL Renewal - Couple of Issues

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by mb90535im, Feb 1, 2019.

1. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

1 - Refused to issue temporary. Said it wasn't required by law and that they are being taught in "probate class" that they are not required to issue a temporary, nor do they have the means to do so on their system.

Note to self - Next time try to refrain from uttering the term, "Mandamus". that word seems to trigger a very negative response from Probate Court folks.

2 - Officer at Sheriff's office absolutely insisted I had to provide my ssn or she would not run the background check.

Another note to self - Law enforcement folks really don't appreciate being told that something they are doing is not only not required, but illegal. xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx( edited due to an inappropriate comment by me) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx..

Overall, I'd consider it a negative experience compared to Whitfield County and somewhat surprising up here in Ralston/Col Poolr red state land. There were GCO pamphlets in Probate Court lobby area. Maybe they should be enhanced to note and quote the applicable GA Code as to what the Probate Court's legal obligations are with regard to these and other items.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  2. mb90535im

Follow-up - I received a call from the Gilmer County Probate Judge, Scott Chastain. We had a brief cordial conversation. He said that when he learned of my post here he checked into the matter and that I was correct, I should have been able to obtain a temporary permit in my case. He apologized and told me he was new in the office and used it as a training opportunity with his staff. Apology accepted and he seemed like a honorable person.

I also decided to edit my previous comments re the SO employee. I know she was doing her job as she understood it. I also realize the ssn is going to probably be a big time saver with possibilities of many duplicate names.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Good result, and it sounds like a good probate judge. Anybody can be wrong. Very few persons can admit it and change their ways to be correct. It sounds like you have a good probate judge there in Gilmer County.

cbp0229 likes this.
  4. A. McClure

A. McClure Well-Known Member

Scott is a personal friend and a Baptist minister. He and I have been friends since we were kids. He's the right man for that job, hands down. He was very concerned when he learned of this and insisted in making it right.

cbp0229, Adam5, mb90535im and 2 others like this.
  5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Andy, anybody who is a friend of yours is probably "good people," so thanks for adding to the assessment.

tmoore912 and A. McClure like this.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Looking at the timing of this and the first post, 12:39 today and the second, 3:59 today shows someone in that office pays attention to this place.

3 hours, 20 minutes between them and the original being discovered, judge learning of it (if not his own discovery) doing what research he needed (little or alot) and acting on it. I am impressed.

Other commentary on the judge I am double impressed. Seems a good guy won the election there.

Nemo

7. A. McClure

"Looking at the timing of this and the first post, 12:39 today and the second, 3:59 today shows someone in that office pays attention to this place"

Or someone who knows him does..

timbrubaker and TimBob like this.
  8. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I figured that might be a factor but with the time frame and all necessary in it, I am still impressed.

Nemo

A. McClure likes this.
  9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

So what about this supposed “training” that Probate Court staff are given that says not to issue temp renewal licenses
    Was that a LIE, a fabrication, or is there a flaw in the training that makes trainees THINK this is the message?

10. mb90535im

It was quick and a great move by the judge. The type of service I'd like to expect from all elected officials. It will earn him a future vote and I haven't known him prior to today. First impressions are important.

11. A. McClure

Just so you know, Scott was one of the very first pastors to get his church to "opt-in" to the HB60 law, not only the church he currently pastors, but his home church where his membership lies as well. He also accompanied me on a lunch with Rep. Jason Ridley 2 years ago to try to get some traction going on a 130 exemption for license holders. He's one of the good guys.

timbrubaker and TimBob like this.
  12. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

It sounds like a great outcome. I'm sure it was frustrating at first, but it turned out well. And it sounds like the Probate staff will actually learn what they should have been doing all along. It was a very quick correction by the judge.

Like gunsmoker, I also wondered about the "training" where they learned this. If this did really come from a probate class, what else have they learned incorrectly. But it sounds like they now have a great Probate judge who looks to do the right thing.

A. McClure likes this.
  13. cbp0229

cbp0229 Member

Does anyone know which church he pastors? I am looking for a new one and would like to visit.