GFL without a GA drivers license

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by publius, Oct 23, 2007.

1. publius

publius Guest

I have a rather strange question. In the event I ever need to prove to a LEO that I am legally entitled to carry a firearm, what other ID is necessary beyond my GFL (which sadly, IMO, lacks a photo)?

The reason I ask is that I maintain dual residency. I lived for over a decade in Texas and came to Georgia for college (5 years ago). After I had been here a couple months, I canceled my Texas voter registration and became a GA registered voter. I have been a legal resident of this state for 5 years. However, I have legally maintained my Texas drivers license because as a legal dependent of my father, that is allowed. When I applied for my GFL I used my GA voter registration card and my passport, which is completely legal even though many people had told me I HAD to have a GA drivers license.

So, cop shows up, I respectfully inform him that I am carrying, show my GFL and he will probably ask to see my drivers license. He is most likely unaware of the legality of dual residency afforded to those actively pursuing a higher level education. What then? Should I carry around my voter registration as further proof? Has anyone ever had the authenticity of their very unofficial looking GFL questioned?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Just show the GFL if necessary. No other i.d. is required.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Nope. You must have a Georgia driver's license within 30 days of estblishing residency here, regardless of what Texas says. THis has nothing to do with domicile. Just residency.

4. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

MP - I agree with your assessment for the average Joe. However, if he is still a college student he should be able to maintain his TX license, even though he currently resides in GA. All the other college students do. Like he stated, he is still a legal dependant of his father (a TX resident). The poster is living here but wouldn't that just be considered a temp resident. The wrinkle in the scenario is the voter registration. I thought most college kids voted absentee from their home state.

5. Malum Prohibitum

From O.C.G.A. 40-5-21(b)
    (b) Notwithstanding any contrary provisions of Code Section 40-5-20 or subsection (a) of this Code section, a nonresident of this state who is attending a school in this state shall be exempt from the driver's licensing requirements of this chapter if and only if:

(1) He or she is at least 16 years of age and has in his or her immediate possession a valid license issued to him or her in his or her home state or country; provided, however, that any restrictions which would apply to a Georgia driver's license as a matter of law would apply to the privilege afforded to the out-of-state license; and

(2) He or she is currently enrolled in a school in this state, has paid for the current period of enrollment the tuition charged by the school to nonresidents of Georgia, and has in his or her possession proof of payment of such tuition for such current period of enrollment.

6. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

That is only if this is your primary residence. When I moved down here from up north, I maintained my primary residence as my home up north and since I was working here on a contractor basis, and collecting per diem, I couldn't legally claim this state as my primary residence and was able to keep my license from up north.

7. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

You should be fine, though a State ID will be useful (especially if you want to buy guns while you're here!). I just finished doing the opposite of you (Grew up in GA, went to TX for school) and didn't have any problems. I didn't have a TX CHL, though I could have gotten one.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

You can buy guns with an out-of-state license... it just might be a problem with FTF.

9. budder

Only long guns.

10. publius

publius Guest

I am an out of state student paying out of state tuition. According to the state of Georgia (unlike some states like Colorado) you cannot establish residency for the purposes of tuition while attending school. You can, however, establish residency. And I did. I did not change my DL because I am also a resident of Texas. You can't have 2 DLs so I had to pick one and why not stick with the one I already have since I'm sure Ga DMVs suck just as bad as Texas. They made a point to differentiate between immediate possesion and possesion, and I have at my home (in my non-immediate possesion) proof of out of state payment.

To the point about absentee voting, sure, I could have done that, but I care about what happens here where I spend the majority of my time so I wanted to vote here.

And I have purchased several guns here. The first time I tried they said you MUST have a Ga DL. The dealer said nothing else would suffice. But I took a copy of the paperwork and read it. Turns out a voter registration card, plus some other goverment issued photo ID is sufficient. And I have purchased hand guns with my voter card and my passport. The store double and triple checked that this was valid because they didn't want to have the ATF getting pissed at them. But now that I have a GFL, that isn't an issue.

All that to say, glad to hear that no other ID is required to carry.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

So if I wanted to buy a handgun from someone out of state, they'd have to come to my state. I know there was another thread about this and someone said (I though) it could work either way (in either the buyer's or seller's state).

12. Malum Prohibitum

Can we get away with that on the GFL? :D

13. Malum Prohibitum

You have a PM.

14. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

+1

15. GACop

GACop Member

I would think technically you would need a Georgia driver's license. Student or not, you have established your permanent residence here. Once you establish your residence here, you are required to have your Georgia driver's license in 30 days.

The reason I say this is because you have become a registered voter here. The requirements from the Secretary of State for a registered voter say:

To register to vote in the state of Georgia, you must be:

A citizen of the United States
    A legal resident of Georgia and of the county in which you wish to vote
    At least 18 years of age by election day

I do not believe the student exemption would apply to you anymore. If you had not registered to vote here and were a student, I think you'd be ok.

If you read the code section posted above by another poster, it says that the exemptions are for NON-RESIDENTS. You clearly are not a non-resident.

Oh and since Georgia only issues a GFL to Georgia residents, I would think that would be another nail in the non-resident student exemption.

Of course, I am not a lawyer obviously and am just offering my friendly opinion. :)

16. Malum Prohibitum

His friendly opinion does come with a tow truck, though. :wink:

17. Axeman

Axeman New Member

I don't know what would be required IF you had to show your GFL, but I would suggest not telling the LEO that you are packing unless he/she asks specifically. :wink:

I used to volunteer the info but after reading many posts here I won't do it again, atleast in GA. I realize in Texas you have to tell them, but not here.

18. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

This sucks. We got pinched by this in Virginia. I moved there nearly a year before my wife did. We were not married at the time I moved but were before she moved. We tried to get residency for her for graduate school but they said "No in-state for you!!!" Our argument was that she moved due to the marriage, not to establish residency for tuition purposes. They didn't care. Dang liberal arts colleges. Cost me about $25K extra.

19. budder

No, the handgun would have to go through an FFL in your state. He could bring it to them or he could have a local (to him) FFL ship it to your FFL.

20. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

I may be missing something in the post or in the current GFL but don't you have to be a resident of Georgia to get a GFL since we do not have a non-resident GFL. If you do not have a GA driver’s license what would you use to with the Probate Court as proof of residency, a utility bill? Does that make you a resident to get a GFL?