GFL in lieu of NICS?

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by pro2am, Oct 19, 2006.

1. pro2am

pro2am New Member

So...with the July 2006 effective change in Georgia's laws, does the GFL replace the NICS check when purchasing a gun? Just making sure somebody doesn't try charging me a little extra...not that that would happen.

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

You still have to fill out the form, but the actual check is not done if you have a GFL. Also, if you have not bought a handgun in 2 years, the session before last got rid of the $5 for handgun purchases if you did not have a GFL.

Other than a FFL transfer fee (if you buy a gun somewhere else and have the gun shipped to a local FFL, they charge a fee) there should be no charge for a NICS check with or without a GFL.

3. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Speaking from recent experience(s) :p yes, it does take the place of the NICS check. As Gunstar stated, you still have to fill out the 4473. They will check your drivers license against your GFL as well as what you put on the form and they all must match. They will not call the NICS. They also will not charge you anything extra, the same as before... but yes, my shop charges 25$ if you buy a gun online or otherwise have it shipped to them first.

Go get a gun and report back :twisted:

4. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Thanks for the info. I'm getting close. Already have the GFL that's what prompted the question.

As I said in another post, I'm in the Goldilocks phase....trying them all out to find one that's just right.

5. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

So, I will still have to get NICS-ed since my GFL address is no longer correct?

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Probably not, most gun stores know that a change of address update is not required for GFL's, so they will often just ignore the incorrect address as long as all the other stuff on the GFL matches (name spelled the same and you have not died your hair or shrunk several inches in height).

7. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I purchased a Glock 26 on July 1st, the day the new law went into effect. My gun dealer just made a copy of my GFL. I still had to fill out the form, but I was in and out of there in less than 15 minutes.

8. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Sorry, I meant to say that they compared the license and the 4473... they did a cursory check of the permit.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

:up: That is typical of what all the dealers I have bought guns from have done. But in my case it is pretty hard to fake being 6'-3" tall.