GFL also Concealment??

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by GunCrazed, Jun 10, 2007.

1. GunCrazed

GunCrazed New Member

This may have been answered before, I'm not sure.

I have been told that it is legal to conceal your firearm if you have the GFL. I have also been told that I need a different type of permit to conceal, not just a GFL.

Can someone help me out and let me know what is right and what isn't?

Thank ya,
    -GC-

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

There is only one thing, a GFL. The GFL allows you to carry open or concealed. Basically, anywhere you can conceal, you can open carry. Anybody should correct me if I'm wrong or what have you.

3. GunCrazed

GunCrazed New Member

Thats what I've been told - I was just double checking to make sure.

4. Axeman

Axeman New Member

For the longest time I thought the GFL was only allowed concealment.

It wasn't till reading some of the info here that I realized that it ALSO allowed for open carry as well.

Hope that clears it up.

5. GunCrazed

GunCrazed New Member

Awesome! Yes it does, I have been checking in different parts of the GFL information listed on here and found out some pretty good stuff. Info that I had been misinformed about.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, there is good info here...Have you considered joining GCO? There's a link if you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the site. :righton:

7. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the law actually states that GFL allows you to carry concealed, but if you want to carry open, you must have a GFL. While it probably doesn't matter, I think some of you have your causation wrong.

8. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

:ianal:

What?

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I think he means there are two different charges, 16-11-126 and 128, and that a license is needed to avoid each criminal charge.

128 - must have a license to carry.

126 - may conceal with license.

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Strictly speaking, the license code itself 16-11-129(a) says:
    "... which license or renewal license shall authorize that person to carry any pistol or revolver in any county of this state..."

So the license itself says it is to "carry" a pistol. The license code does not restict it to open or concealed.

The wording difference is from what the 2 different laws are regarding, 126 is you must open carry any/all weapons (firearms, kives, baton, etc.), except the concealed carry of a pistol is allowed if you have a license.
    128 is only about carry (on your person) of a pistol, which is not allowed unless you have a license.

If you open carry outside of your home, car or place of business WITHOUT a License, you can be charged with one crime, 16-11-128.

If you conceal carry (on your person) outside of your home or place of business WITHOUT a license, you can be charged with 2 crimes, 16-11-126 and 16-11-128.

When taking the 2 together, regarding carry of pistols/handguns, whether open or concealed carry, you must have a license. However when concealing, it may only be carried in a holster, clip, or similar device.

11. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

It could mean carry in the hand.

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Goss v. State, 165 Ga. App. 488 (1983) A pistol carried in the pocket with the handle protruding is not concealed.
    Courtesy of GPDO's own Caselaw section

13. GunCrazed

GunCrazed New Member

Mexican carry!? haha - I've never heard of that before. What's it mean? :-k

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Firearm stuffed in the waistband/behind the belt, without the use of a holster or clip.

History of the term http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_n8591504

15. GunCrazed

GunCrazed New Member

Man! You get the info quick! You may set the new world record for fastest forum response in Georgia.

Thank ya for the info, much appreciated :)

-GC-

16. shamalama

shamalama New Member

That's what I thought as well.

But I can MUCH MORE EASILY see myself carrying concealed in the mall and exiting the place unscathed as opposed to OPEN CARRYING in the mall and only making it 20 feet before the Rent-A-Cops and the Off Duty's had me up against a wall - GFL or not.

Are there many of you that openly carry (where possible) during your normal daily activities?

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'm pretty sure USMC-R and Ramm do.