Getting ready to apply for GFL, but have questions about CC!

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by MCM&P, Sep 5, 2007.

1. MCM&P

MCM&P Guest

With so many on/off limit places to carry. How do you guys that CC plan your day. I mean, say you go into work, you leave it in your vehicle. Lunch time comes...you head to Arby's so no problem so far. Well after work you head home, wife says stop by the store pick up some odd and end things. Then you head home, the wife say's lets go to this dept. store. Then after walking around stores for a couple of hours, both of you decide to get to dinner at say a Chili's or Outback something like that. So now your day has brought you to places that are okay, and not okay to CC or even have in your vehicle. So what do you do? Do you drive all the way home after going to the stores, leave your sidearm at home, then go to dinner. If I had to do that, I'd probably just stay home and eat :D Just wondered if a few of you could step me thru your average day or not so average day. You don't have to be all detailed, but just a rough idea. I mean surely it has to take some time before you think conciously about oh yeah I'm CC and we are heading to dinner right?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Open carry at all of those but work and Chili's. :wink:

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I'm not saying that I would conceal at an off-limits place, but I will tell you that the law is stupid and no one should know you have it* unless you use it. If you have to use it, I doubt you'll sweat the misdemeanor, since there will be far more important issues to worry about.

*With a good belt/holster combo and a little luck (not having to reach real high or bend over real far at the waist), no one should be able to tell you're carrying.

4. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I plan on CCing at work as my company has no policy banning it once I get an ankle holster and a G27. Based on our dress code, it will be easy for me to pull this off.

For right now, it gets locked in the car in a secure location and I openly carry when running out to lunch, etc so long as the place doesn't serve alcohol.

5. Malum Prohibitum

I posted on here about going to lunch and finding out they serve alcohol and then the cops approached . . . luckily I was concealed.

6. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I currently have an IWB holster that is easy on/off so I can leave the gun in the car if I am at a restricted place. The gun is never left at home.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Here it is

8. MCM&P

MCM&P Guest

Well sounds as though most people I have talked too, and those who have responded so far...pretty much carry most of the time, even when they shouldn't. They just do a good job of concealing it well...which is the way it is suppose to be anyway. My biggest thing is making sure I do my best to abide by the law, being the sole bread maker, the last thing I need is to miss work. :D I'm a good honest person, but with the work I do, and the wife, 2 kids and 1 on the way, I want to protect them if I need to. I do my best to avoid situations, sometimes we can't. My wife had stated too many times that she has been watched at a grocery store parking lot to many times for my liking. I grew up with guns, still have my shot guns that I grew up with. My wifes family hated guns (someone in their family years ago shot themselves, not sure if on accident or not. It was a distant family member). None the less they are not comfy around them. I have talked my wife into shooting my .22 rifle once, and a friends 9mm. She thought she was in the movie...it was almost kinda funny. I had to tell her to slow down...she thought she was Miami Vice or something and emptied the clip so fast I thought she was going to cause it to jam. She liked it but said okay that's enough. Which I think she liked it but didn't want me to think she did...she's like that. So part of her feeling comfy about me CC is knowing that I am comfy with what I am doing. Make sense? :lol:

9. Malum Prohibitum

Nope! :whistle: Not on here. :-$

10. MCM&P

MCM&P Guest

:D Nah...surely not. 8) I will just have to learn to make a concious effort to pay more attention to where I am going and to whether or not I am carrying. :D Part of the responsibility of having such a contract.

11. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

The way it is supposed to be?

12. MCM&P

MCM&P Guest

Well the definition of conceal: is to hide :D

13. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

In my mind, it all boils down to a decision you have to make weighing your beliefs and safety versus the laws of the land.

Keep in mind that some places that are off limits are only misdemeanor infractions (although those infractions can cause you to lose your GFL) and others are felony crimes (like for example being a college student and carrying your weapon onto the university grounds).

I make a conscious decision each and every day, as I think most of the people on this board do, about which will take precedence.

And no, I'm not telling you which one I choose. 8)

14. MCM&P

MCM&P Guest

I hear ya, and totally agree with what your saying. Personally, I have a problem with not being able to bring my weapon into a place that serves alcohol. Just because it says they serve it don't mean I will be drinking it. So what happens when a drunk brushes into me, and I say nothing to him, but he thinks it was my fault and decides to be a typical drunk. First off I would do my best to talk my way out of it, but sometimes that's just not going to be enough. So now I am without my weapon, to back him down, and it escalades into a fight. Now I take just as much of a chance to injure him as I would if I was with my weapon. For me, if I have to fight it's the same concept...it's him or me! So I have a problem with that law, but hey to abide by, to each their own to do what they feel...whether it's right or wrong. I am sure this subject has been beat to death concerning the alcohol law.

15. 1911packer

1911packer Guest

I agree 100 percent that off-limits in places that serve alcohol is wrong. I don't like the idea of disarming just to go to Longhorns.

You raise a couple of issues in your last post, however. Getting into a fist fight while you are armed created all kinds of problems.

Using armed force against an unarmed drunk could create some escalation of force issues.

It is a good thing that you are thinking and planning your carry scenarios. I try to spend a little time each day going over how I would respond to a given situation.

16. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

1911 made a great point. I would never draw a weapon over a simple fist fight. So long as I could retain my weapon and not have it taken away from me, I would rather get my @$$ kicked than deal with the legal issues which would come from drawing down on someone for a bump, shove, or sucker punch. As long as they didn't arm themselves, then I wouldn't do so either.

If I thought the situation might come to blows while I was carrying, I would avoid at all costs the ensuing altercation. I would walk away from something I would not walk away from if not carrying.

This was not meant to be a lecture. Just me stating that I personally would be really careful when carrying.

17. Taler

Taler New Member

It strikes me that we have several generations of people (or at least two) making observations. I admit that I'm older.

While some may be able to just walk away, as from a fight, some can't.

It has been years since I engaged in fisticuffs, and likewise years since I knowingly put myself in a situation where my safety might be compromised, (on Marta for instance.) Yes, I know how to de-fuse a situation, and how to "back down".

On the other hand, I doubt that I would undergo a voluntary "butt-kicking" because someone wanted to pick a fight with a senior citizen, or saw me as an easy target (mistake).

You mention "avoid at all costs"... But what if you can't? Then what? I reckon "if you can't" is the reason I carry.

18. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I hope I never have to make this decision. To clarify what I meant; I would not draw my CC weapon just because the guy "picking on me" is bigger than me or likely to be able to best me in a fight. Heck, everyone is bigger than me. I stand 5'6" and approximately 160 lbs. I would also not subject myself to a beating if avoidable.

I also would not myself instigate trouble while carrying. I am a known smartass and don't put up with crap. However, I would temper myself while carrying so as not to be the aggressor should a situation escalate to violence.

As far as the generation thing - I am in my mid-thirties. I think I am in that mid-life stage where I am starting to mellow out some. I must be going through "the change". :lol:

19. MCM&P

MCM&P Guest

I agree with you, I would rather talk my way or walk away from a fight if I can no matter if I am armed or not. Most people who pick a fight, don't know who they are picking a fight with. That person might be trained to deal with someone like him, totally take him by suprise. I have not had to deal with this too often, in most cases I just give them an ego boost and say, look I don't want to fight...I'm just out to have a good time! However, there are times where guys are out just to bump into someone with the sole purpose of getting into a fight, these guys are usually in a group who are wanting to do the same thing. So now you don't have to worry about just one guy, but maybe his buddy and the other guy with them. SO at this point this is where I would rather have a sidearm to even the count. I don't mind fighting one guy, but you put two or more in the mix now you could end up seriously hurt before others step in. So too, me that is where I'd rather try to make it outside...usually guys like this are wanting that very thing. So now you get the fight away from the crowd...hopefully. I can totally understand why it is a law, for the very reasons you gave. If in a fist fight and the other person is able to obtain your weapon (say your shirt was ripped off exposing your sidearm etc.) Then that person possibly very drunk and not in their right mind could pose a serious issue where as if the gun was not in the establishment, then we are dealing with most likely just a fist fight. I'm not a club hopping person, and don't deal well with large crowds of people packed into a small place. I really don't think an altercation at the local Texas Roadhouse, or Outback is likely to happen. Those types of places are not typical drink, dance, and get all roudy at, so I don't see a problem with carrying into an establishment such as those. Now a bar...ehh then we are in the first discussion situation.

My main or first post...was looking mainly for do you take your pistol with you everywhere...whether you leave it in your vehicle or CC. I don't post an opinion on anyone based of their answers, as I will be likely to do the same. It just seems as though, the laws make it difficult to function if your constantly having to say...oops forgot can't go in there...I have my firearm on me. For example the post on this site where the guy walked into a lunchin place with his wife, hadn't been there before, ordered but at that point noticed they served beer & wine. Sucks but by law, we would have to either cancel our order, or one person leave the scene to place the sidearm in a locked vehicle and then return. Well thats a good thing to have happen when your down town Atlanta huh :D

20. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I'll answer this question when my attorney is present.

You're not going to get a straight answer out of this group on this, and for good reason.