Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuesday morning I left the house around 7:00am and drove to work. The Gentle Brideâ„¢ attempted to leave at her normal 7:30am.

As she left the house she noticed two cars stopped in our driveway, with one of the passengers out of the car and approaching the house. She froze, house keys in one hand and the other reaching for the pocket 9mm in her purse. The intruder noticed her, scrambled back into one of the cars, and both sped away quickly. She was able to get a partial description of both the intruder, the two cars, and partial tag numbers. She remained at the house for a while.

After getting to work, she called the Sheriff's Office and talked with an Investigator. After her story the Investigator said they didn't sound like someone just turning around, or someone with car trouble, and that it sounded very suspicious. He advised us to be on our guard for the next several weeks and make notes of anything out of the ordinary.

Now I'm on pins and needles. I have a daughter and new granddaughter in the house most of the day. Daughter has a G23 (compact .40) that she knows how to use, and there's a pump 12 gauge nearby that she will learn how to use this weekend.

No one is snickering anymore because I carry while at home, while walking the dogs, while watching TV, while getting the mail. But none of that does any good when no one is home.

I don't have a gun safe, so I'll have to put all my toys completely away other than the handguns that are actually on my person.

Maybe I'm being paranoid. Maybe I'm over-reacting. And maybe I'll be a victim in a few weeks. Either way I'm angry enough to chew 10-penny nails. At the moment something happens there will be no cops around, no elected officials giving speeches in my back yard, no community organizers leading protests in the front yard, no good friends talking trash on my front porch ... it will be just me and the intruders, or just the intruders and my indoor dogs (and God help them if they touch my dogs). The law says I can use deadly force if I am in fear of imminent lethal threat ... well, 'fear' and 'threat' are already present. To the cops, elected officials, community organizers, and good friends reading this post, the shadow of crime may have found my tiny abode.

I need to get some Zen in me and calm down while also staying tight as a guitar string. Condition Yellow, OODA loop, whatever. But it's un-nerving as heck. How dare a stranger think they have a right to the products of my labor?

"Shop Rockdale" does not include items in my home. Anyone know how to mount a minigun on the front porch?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I come home last night and find two cars parked half on the road, half on the grass, in front of my house. +4 older teens, in stereotypical urban gangsta clothing, milling about. It was my day to bring the grandchildren home from school, so I quickly got them in my house, grabbed my .357 and a digital camera, and left the house leaving grandkids with daughter, locking the door behind me. I still had my .38 snubbie (from work at a NPE) with two reloads in my front pocket. While I was securing the grandkids The Gentle Brideâ„¢ came home, grabbed her pocket 9 and her cell phone, and sat in her car until I came out of the house.

By then one of the cars left and another took its place. Some teens left, some new ones took their place. My wife and I walked slowly towards the crowd. She was loudly talking to the Sheriff on her phone, enough for the teens to hear, I was busy taking pictures. Several of the teens started watching us, and then they all left quickly in car #3, leaving car #1 on the side of the road. We were able to get the tag # on car #3.

A deputy arrived within 5 minutes, one with a dog. He ran the numbers on the abandoned car and found out it was from out of town and had no insurance. Since at least one tire was still on the asphalt of the road the deputy called for the wrecker. Come to find out the deputy dated one of my daughters in high school, we all chatted about old times, he brought out the dog for us to run and play with while we waited for the wrecker. The entire time I was 50' from the road with a very visible 6" .357 hanging on my hip, and not a word was said about it ... the way it should be.

About an hour later two men came to my front door. Considering everything that's been happening this week I was not about to open the door. I went out the back door and circled around, meeting them in my driveway. At first one of them seemed agitated in that "I" had his son's car towed, but after explaining that no one said a word to me, not identified themselves, not asked for help, ran off without explanation, I called the Sheriff. The Deputy discovered that the car was from out of town, had no insurance, and was abandoned on the road, requiring him to secure the car. I then put my hand on my hip a few inches away from my handgun, without touching it. The conversation stopped for a moment, he thanked me, and quickly left.

As you might imagine, I got very little sleep last night. My oldest daughter, who lives next to us, asked me to take her to the store this weekend and help her buy her first shotgun (she doesn't have a Georgia license yet to allow handgun carry). Another neighbor came over last night explaining how their doorbell went off at 5:00am one morning this week and yet nobody was there, so they're nervous too. We're all watching everyone's homes.

Yesterday's incident was probably nothing. A crowd of high school boys leaving school, one of the cars break down, and they don't know what to do. But it's just way too coincidental given what happened the other day. And just as it could have been completely innocent, it could have been something more dangerous. The deputy told me that there have been more "home incidents" lately than the newspaper has reported, and said we did right by calling them.

I hope this is an event-less weekend. As always, prayers and advice are welcome. A free Coca-Cola, cold beer, or glass of single malt scotch to any GCO members that stop by.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,727 Posts
The first incident looked at least like casing, or about to break in. The second looked like just a bunch of kids, but they might try messing with you now.

Whenever pulling in or out of your driveway, have you weapon within easy reach, and be very observant.

And neighbors watching out for each other is a very good thing. Hope that keeps up.

I would suggest motion lights that light up your front and back yards, and also make sure your doors, hinges, and frames are reinforced with 3" screws, and get some steel bars that slide up under the door knob. Make them break their foot if they try to kick it in.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Shamalama, do you have a monitored alarm system? Or big dogs outside your home? Alarm systems are good deterrents.

And no, you are not getting paranoid.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
mygunstoo said:
Shamalama, do you have a monitored alarm system? Or big dogs outside your home? Alarm systems are good deterrents.

And no, you are not getting paranoid.
+1 on the alarm system and dogs.

Someone would have to be pretty determined to do you harm to continue a break in with a couple mid size+ dogs barking at them and a deafening alarm blaring.

I consider my deadbolts, dogs, and alarm system my first lines of home defense. My firearms are a last resort.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Nope, you're not being paranoid at all.

+1 again on the alarm system at the very least. You can even go real cheap--just put out a "Alarm monitored by..." sign that you can pick up or order online, if its small time criminals, the sign alone will be deterrant enough.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
shamalama said:
About an hour later two men came to my front door. Considering everything that's been happening this week I was not about to open the door. I went out the back door and circled around, meeting them in my driveway. At first one of them seemed agitated in that "I" had his son's car towed, but after explaining that no one said a word to me, not identified themselves, not asked for help, ran off without explanation, I called the Sheriff. The Deputy discovered that the car was from out of town, had no insurance, and was abandoned on the road, requiring him to secure the car. I then put my hand on my hip a few inches away from my handgun, without touching it. The conversation stopped for a moment, he thanked me, and quickly left.
Shamalama, I would be careful about this incident. It shows very suspicious in my radar. Why would it take two men, one of them agitated, to go to your house to find out why their "son?" abandoned "his?" car in front of your house?

·
Registered
139 Posts
martin_j001 said:
+1 again on the alarm system at the very least. You can even go real cheap--just put out a "Alarm monitored by..." sign that you can pick up or order online, if its small time criminals, the sign alone will be deterrant enough.
a lot of alarm companies will give these to you for free if you use their service.

You're definately not being paranoid! There is no better defense than to be prepared! Maybe we should have some patrols from the GCO folks going to the gun show down there this weekend to keep a lookout! lol
Above all else, stay safe! :righton:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No monitored alarm system, don't have the money right now, but I'll have some fake window stickers very soon.

Going to Lowes/Home Depot this weekend to price motion/IR outside floodlights. Also getting doorknob bars.

I have three lab mix dogs indoors, all +60lbs. Not good for bloodletting, but great for radar/sniffing.

I'm leaving all outdoor lights on at night for a while.

All firearms will get a good cleaning this weekend.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
mygunstoo said:
shamalama said:
Shamalama, I would be careful about this incident. It shows very suspicious in my radar. Why would it take two men, one of them agitated, to go to your house to find out why their "son?" abandoned "his?" car in front of your house?
+1000. I would definitely be on high alert after both instances, more so after a visit to the homestead by any persons associated with the suspicious parties. Seeing as how you don't know where they live but they know where you rest would be enough for me to assume a very light and short sleep cycle outside for the next few weeks. Please take care and let's hope nothing comes of any of this. BTW, I would have done everything *exactly* as you have and think you made all the right moves when they should have been taken.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Be safe Shamalama. If I were you, a long gun would be close by (in addition to my sidearm) anytime I was to be at home for any length of time.

You're not being paranoid. You're just taking the proper precautions to defend your life and the lives of your family members. Good on ya for letting the LEA know that there's a situation before anything serious occurs.

·
Registered
238 Posts
No one is snickering anymore because I carry while at home, while walking the dogs, while watching TV
I always carry at home too. When something does happen, having your gun in a drawer or safe somewhere is not going to help when an intruder is between you and your weapon.

·
Registered
404 Posts
We always have a firearm at arms length when we are at home. We also carry when we are walking the dogs. We have had a couple of break-ins in our neighborhood over the last couple of years. Just recently a neighbor was assaulted while trying to unlock their door. Luckily the neighbor hit one of the intruders hard enough that they fled. Stuff like this is happening in neighborhoods that most people consider "safe". I don't think being safe is being paranoid.

Corey

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
No paranoia there - you are observant and because you are you are less likely to be a victim. Whether the two incidents (or three really) are connected is hard to say but I'll tell you one thing, in each incident you and your wife showed whoever they were that you aren't the types to let things happen.....that goes a long way. Someone who is looking for a victim is typically looking for the path of least resistance - an easy target. A guy w/ a .357 on his hip is not that target.

Let your dogs roam the house at night (if you don't already) and look into the alarm system further - a lot of companies will install for very little just to get the monitoring which is usually less than $20 a month.

I also like the way you went out the side and came around front when someone was at the front door you didn't know. Smart. Meet the unknown person on your terms. I like it.

Good luck. Stay Safe. Keep your head on a swivel. :)

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
xdpacking said:
No one is snickering anymore because I carry while at home, while walking the dogs, while watching TV
I always carry at home too. When something does happen, having your gun in a drawer or safe somewhere is not going to help when an intruder is between you and your weapon.
The reason why I carry at home.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Holy crap, Shamalama! You are certainly not being paranoid, because they are after you.

Goodness gracious. PM incoming. :evil:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
With everything that has happened in Rockdale recently paranoia is completely justified. I've been called paranoid for years but not anymore after the Ingles incident. Just picked up my new carry piece today, a S&W SD40 with some Federal 180 gr HSTs on order. Been thinking about getting a shotgun for my apartment as well

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
A guy that used to post here regularly had a signature that read -

"You can call me paranoid at my funeral; until then, call me prepared."

Keep your head on a swivel, Sham. You're family sounds like they're prepared better than most! :shoot:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts