Getting a title for a build motorcycle

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Ankhadia, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Ankhadia

Ankhadia Member

Wanted to see if anyone here can clue me in in this. So my dad past recently and we were working on building a shovel head bobber before he got sick. I would love to finish it up. From what I have been told is I have to register the frame and the motor. Not worried about the motor but the frame I know he traded some tools to a guy he used to run with in his club days. Might be all good, might not. Anyone have any experience with this or getting a frame title with no information on it?

2. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

does it have a vin?? if it has a vin then you can have it inspected by a LEO iirc or if the vin is clean you could go thru vermont if its 17 years old then use that to get GA registration

3. Ankhadia

Ankhadia Member

It does have a vin. Do you mean Vermont the state or something else?

4. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

5. Ankhadia

Ankhadia Member

Ok cool. Do you happen to know how to look up the age of the frame? I know the motor is from the 80s but not much about the frame.

6. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

try inputting the vin on the ga dept of revenue site and see if it pops up?

7. Ankhadia

Ankhadia Member

I have put it in everything I could. Looks like its from 2004 so that's not going to work

8. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

not for a few more years...you can possibly see about getting a bonded title thru an insurance company

9. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

Yes - that's what I've always read about people doing to get a normally "offroad only" motorcycle street-legal in GA. Or one that may not be "offroad only" and just never had a tag on it.

The best place to ask for specifics on this would be a motorcycle forum, instead of a gun forum, though. :)

10. Ankhadia

Ankhadia Member

Yeah I figured it would be worth a shot here before I sign up on some motorcycle forum

11. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

No harm in that, plus additional experiences can be helpful.