Getting a little more ballsy...

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by higabyte, Oct 11, 2010.

1. higabyte

higabyte New Member

Starting to come out of my shell. I've been OC'ing to the IGA or a gas station for some quick shopping to get used to the idea of OC.

Today, I dropped my wife and daughter off at the doctor and my son and I hit up Sam's in Augusta. Spent about 15-20 min there getting some water and then headed to the gas station to get something cold for the wife to drink. Went back and grabbed her and then off to Target we went.

OC'd in Target for about an hour or so while waiting for the prescription to be filled.

Didn't notice any looks or comments, except from my son lol...

Then we went to the corn maze and I was going to open carry there, but they weren't open today, so we're gonna go back Friday for that.

I get my new holster Friday, had one custom ordered. I'll definitely be carrying OC alot more when I get that.

2. Good job, don't hesitate. I became a little more hesitant of open carrying after my encounter with the local police, but I've pretty much gone back to how I normally do. If I'm in a place that is known to be against guns or open carrying (malls, Wal-Mart, H-Mart, movie theaters) then I just put my shirt over it. If I'm going to be some place where there's a large gathering and people will be very close to me, I'll put my shirt over it as well.

It is your right, please exercise it.

3. jlcnuke

jlcnuke New Member

I generally concealed carry (not deep concealed, obvious print if someone knows what to look for) and was kinda surprised this morning when the old man who got on the hotel elevator seemed to notice. He didn't say anything but I glanced back and he was checking for a print I'm pretty sure after I left the elevator before him. Of course, the hotel I'm in has had police staying here every time I've stayed here (30k rewards points this year) so he may have been an older LEO. One exit over is a GHP station so I guess they frequently have something going on in Forsyth. (maybe one of our LEO's can confirm that, some class or something in the area regularly).

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

What's ballsy about exercising your God given, constitutionally protected, state approved right?

5. higabyte

higabyte New Member

Just feels awkward to me still ...

I've never been one to pick a fight, usually try to stay low key and go unnoticed. I feel like this draws attention to me and I'm out of my comfort zone completely.

I'm getting there though.

6. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle New Member

Good for you brother!
    I'm in Augusta as well and I've never seen anyone OC-ing, but I don't go off-post very often. Once I get my new rig from TT Gun Leather I'm sure I will start to OC more.

7. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

At seven foot tall, and all muscle, what else can make you feel awkward? :lol:

It get's much easier, and then at some point becomes awkward to not OC. Hang tough! It just happens, and when it does, it's one of the most liberating feelings you'll ever experience.

8. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

We obviously need an OC outing soon. Golden Corral is worth hitting for lunch one day. In November, I'll be organizing our next trash collection for GCO. We have an Adopt A Highway stretch on Riverwatch Pkwy. Watch for posts.

9. higabyte

higabyte New Member

all muscle? surely you noticed i have man boobs, aka moobs... lol

but yea, i'll hang tough. i've been doing it more and more.

That sounds great. I'll hit up Golden Corral for some lunch. I have to agree with Sgt Calle, I haven't ever seen anyone OC in Augusta until I met you Don, and got involved with GCO.

As for road cleanup, I'll def help with that.

10. krmbigmac

krmbigmac Active Member

Trust me...you will love the TT!!! I love mine!

Great job OP. Keep it up.

11. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I remember the feeling that you're talking about. I used to get it too while Open Carrying. The feeling resides and eventually goes away.

I think we've just been conditioned to feel this way about open carrying, and the fact that we do read horror stories and seen videos where open carrying has gone horribly wrong.

But everything should go alright, as long as the local community and law enforcement do not over react with a MWAG call, and see you as a crazy active shooter scenario.

I've been open carrier in my area for way over a year now, and have had no bad comments or bad LEO encounters yet. I am not expecting one, but I still carry a recording device with me just in case. I suggest you do the same.

I feel very lucky to live in an area that is very pro-citizen carry, that is citizens and law enforcement.

It appears your local area in Augusta might be very much the same. Enjoy open carrying, and never feel ashamed of it like you're doing something wrong.

Its your right. Enjoy it. :D :righton: The strange feelings will pass with time and experience.

Also, know your rights, and no if you are going to decide to flex them or not as well.

12. livesounder

livesounder New Member

GPSTC is in Forsyth and the former Tift College campus is nearing the end of a lengthy renovation whereupon it will be the centralized offices of the GA DoC. Lot's and lots of both trainees and various flavors state corrections officers running about.