getaway car equipped with non-deflatable tires???

Discussion in 'In the News' started by moga, Jun 28, 2007.

1. moga

moga New Member

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/227251/

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Tire deflation after shooting it does not work the way it does in the movies. It deflates very slowly (the rubber closes behind the bullet). You can keep driving for a long time after a bullet goes into the tire.

Oh, I am just guessing, of course. :wink:

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Could have been run-flats too. Can drive on those for 30 miles at 55mph if I remember correctly.

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Especially if it was one of those .9mm guns the media is always talking about

5. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

That's what 00 buck is for.

:wink:

6. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

is there no agreement to remove freedom of speech also?

7. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

It's quite possible that he hit the wheel and not the tire.

More importantly, did anyone notice that he was shooting at fleeing perps of a misdemeanor (or NON-forceable felony at best)?

Can't you go to jail for that?

8. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

That's not been my experience. When you take the valve stem out of a tire (which is about 3/16" across) the tire will be FLAT in about 15 seconds. A 9mm hollow point should leave nearly twice as big a hole in the tire as the valve stem, perhaps two holes if it makes it out the other side. I would imagine a shot tire would go down in less than five seconds. That being said, you can drive a surprising distance at substantial speed on a flat, (maybe a few miles if you're running scared)

9. maddog

maddog New Member

Hmm 2 miles in 5 sec .... 24 miles in a min .... 1440 mph ... don't think so... lol

10. zone

zone New Member

I would think so. The 2 gentleman did think that out well enough.

11. moga

moga New Member

UTAH CODE Section 76-2-406

76-2-406. Force in defense of property.
    A person is justified in using force, other than deadly force, against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that force is necessary to prevent or terminate criminal interference with real property or personal property:
    (1) Lawfully in his possession; or
    (2) Lawfully in the possession of a member of his immediate family; or
    (3) Belonging to a person whose property he has a legal duty to protect.
    Enacted by Chapter 196, 1973 General Session

Maybe the explanation of why the roommates shot at the vehicle's tires instead of into the passenger compartment, and why he wasn't arrested after the shoot, are contained in this UT statute?

Those boys may have been been better versed in the laws of their land than it initially seemed.

12. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

But, the way the article reads, the perps had already stopped the "criminal interference with real property or personal property" and were just getting the heck out of there.
    Secondly, it has been my understanding that discharge of a firearm IS deadly force and that the law makes no distinction about whether you were going for a head-shot, a foot-shot, or a tire-shot.

13. moga

moga New Member

Your first point may have merit; but I'm not so sure about the second.

Above all else, it doesn't appear the boys were arrested, which is good. After all, no matter what the letter says, the law is only as strong as the will of those that enforce it.