Get your pitchforks..NOW!!!

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by kestak, Dec 17, 2010.

1. kestak

kestak New Member

Dear J&G Customer,
    This is a special notice to warn you of impending new gun regulation. The ATF has proposed to require gun dealers to provide directly to the ATF the names, addresses, and serial numbers for every purchase of two or more semi auto, mag fed rifles within a five day period!! They are trying to force this in by January 5th, without any approval from Congress, calling it a needed "emergency" regulation. This is backdoor registration of guns and gunowners.

Here is a quote from the notice by the NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) regarding this burdensome and illegal move:

"The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is moving to require federally licensed firearms retailers to report multiple sales of modern sporting rifles beginning January 5, 2011. Specifically, the ATF requirement calls for firearms retailers to report multiple sales, or other dispositions, of two or more .22 caliber or larger semi-automatic rifles that are capable of accepting a detachable magazine and are purchased by the same individual within five consecutive business days."

We are encouraging everyone to contact the relevant officials to protest this move. The office that approves regulation changes like this that bypass Congress is the Office of Information and Regulation affairs of the DOJ and they can be reached at 202-395-6466. You can call your Senator and Representative at the US Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121.

The NSSF offers the following points to make when calling

1. "Multiple sales reporting of long guns will actually make it more difficult for licensed retailers to help law enforcement as traffickers modify their illegal schemes to circumvent the reporting requirement. Traffickers will go further underground, hiring more people to buy their firearms. This will make it much harder for retailers to identify and report suspicious behavior to law enforcement."
    2. "Long guns are rarely used in crime (Bureau of Justice Statistics)."
    3. "Imposing multiple sales-reporting requirements for long guns would further add to the already extensive paperwork and record-keeping requirements burdening America’s retailers – where a single mistake could cost them their license and even land them in jail."
    4. "Last year, ATF inspected 2,000 retailers in border states and only two licenses were revoked (0.1%). These revocations were for reasons unknown and could have had nothing to do with illicit trafficking of guns; furthermore, no dealers were charged with any criminal wrongdoing."
    5. "According to ATF, the average age of a firearm recovered in the United States is 11 years old. In Mexico it’s more than 14 years old. This demonstrates that criminals are not using new guns bought from retailers in the states."
    6. "Congress, when it enacted multiple sales reporting for handguns, could have required multiple sales of long guns – it specifically chose not to."

Read the full notice by the NSSF here:
    http://www.nssfblog.com/atf-to-require-multiple-sales-reports-for-long-guns/

Read the full ATF document proposing this illegal move here: (PDF)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/documents/atf.pdf

2. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Last week I bought two handguns and my FFL has informed me that a special form is required because I'm transferring two within 5 days of each other. Are we already doing this for handguns?

Hmm...maybe I'll go ahead and buy that AR15 tomorrow at the gun show.

3. three se7ens

three se7ens New Member

Handguns have been in effect for a while. This adds magazine fed long guns to that same reporting requirement.

4. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Here is what I sent to both Isakson and Chambliss on behalf of myself and my wife.

feel free to use it

5. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

unfortunately the Congress universally allows agencies (under the executive branch) to make the rules (with the force of law) - the President has tremendous power in this country to make law via regulatory actions.

sometimes Congress will pass a law telling the agency what to do on some specific issue of interest to their lobbyists.

6. Hack Causality

Hack Causality New Member

I truly admire anyone willing to be a gun dealer. It must take the patience and self-control of a god to interact with the ATF without trying to murder the contemptuous :cantsay: .

7. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Well, my $10 per handgun FFL will be doubling his price this coming year. Guess he's getting tired of all of the crap.

8. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

I wrote to both Chambliss and Isakson. I didn't get a response from either. Anyone else?

9. JMan

JMan New Member

I haven't heard anything either maybe they're ignoring us?

10. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

Theres many reason why I dispise the ATF. It cost TRA mllions to fight because of illegal regulations put in place by them.

11. bdee

bdee انا باتمان