Get Your Children's Teeth Cleaned or Else!

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by GlockGary, Mar 24, 2018.

1. GlockGary

GlockGary Glock Block Supporter

http://wnep.com/2018/03/23/16-investigates-smiles-4-keeps-letter/

"SCRANTON, Pa. -- Most people don't like going to the dentist to begin with but this letter dated nine days ago appears to warn parents that if they don't make a dental appointment for their children soon, they could get a visit from a Children and Youth investigator.

In a letter addressed to 'Dear Parent' Smiles 4 Keeps writes, "Failure to bring your child for dental care is considered neglect. Smiles 4 Keeps has not reported your child's outstanding dental treatment as of yet.""

2. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

Wow! What a marketing idea. Mrs. Awanatech is a Dental Hygienist for a pediatric dentist. Maybe they could get an advertising program like this in place. That should cut down on the no-shows & last minute cancellations.

3. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

4. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

"...According to law (what law?) failure to bring your child for dental care is considered neglect..."
    Hmmm.. what does Pennsylvania define as 'child neglect'?
    § 3490.4. Definitions
    WNEP, an ABC affiliate doesn't seem too thrilled about the letter either.

5. Fallschirmjäger

6. Squid

Squid Gun pecan

"It would be a shame if someone happened to report you."

7. onenil

onenil Member

I'm pretty sure abuse/neglect is not protected by HIPPA.

Why anyone wouldn't take their child to the dentist is beyond me but I supposed one could argue religious reasons.

8. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Perhaps the parents decided that the dentist at Smiles4Keeps was an asshole and went to a different dentist? Do they then have to prove to the former dentist they went? Hmmmm.....

9. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

According to the letter (which I read in full elsewhere) Smiles4Keeps believes they are the responsible practitioner until you request the records be sent to another dentist. So yes, you have to PROVE you took the kid somewhere.

10. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

http://wnep.com/2018/03/23/16-investigates-smiles-4-keeps-letter/

"Smiles 4 Keeps spokesperson says she does not know how many of these letters were sent but that it reported 17 cases of neglect last year. She adds that the company plans to rewrite the letter because of feedback from around the country.

People who received the letter and feel it was threatening can file a complaint with the State Attorney General Consumer Protection Bureau."

Seems a report to the Board overseeing dentists is in order for these clowns.

11. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Oversight boards are merely guild halls intended to keep outsiders OUT. They do nothing to police members.

12. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

It sounds like a lot of people need to stop using that dentist. Take the money elsewhere and put them out of business.

13. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

If you read the reviews already on Yelp, etc. this practice looks like a Medicaid mill. One former parent alleges that they were told that their child needed 8 fillings but only after they moved from BCBS to CHIP (government child health plan). When they went for a 2nd opinion that dentist said 2 cavities that needed to be "monitored" but none needed filling. Several other posts like that in reviews before this all his the fan.

14. awanatech

Just because Smiles4Keeps believes it to be so does not make it so.

Fallschirmjäger likes this.
  15. awanatech

I don't know the type of area that they are located in, but if it like it is in GA, there may not be many offices around who accept Medicaid. Sometimes the offices that do accept Medicaid seem to almost have a monopoly in their geopgraphic area.

16. Fallschirmjäger

Smiles4Keeps can believe anything it wants (I know people who adamantly believe people regularly used to live for 300-600 years a long time ago), but what are they gonna do, refuse to treat patients who have moved on to other practitioners?

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I am not sure about "regularly," but I think some certainly did, and nine lived longer than the upper number on your range. Do you "know" me? Starting around Genesis 11, Shem lives to be 600, and it is a steady decline from there, down to Abraham who lives only to 175. By the time of Moses, his 120 years is an unusual advanced old age, as he wrote, 70 years is a lifetime.
    As for the days of our life, they contain seventy years,
    Or if due to strength, eighty years,
    Yet their pride is labor and sorrow;
    For soon it is gone and we fly away.
    As for not taking your child to the dentist, yes, child neglect.

18. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

they didn't say take them to the dentist. They said have their teeth cleaned by them regularly or they will report your. This is a dental hygienist that sent out the letters and not a dentist. Just read the last few lines of the letter. If you don't bring your child to Smiles For Keeps within the next 30 days we will report you. I did not use the dental hygienist at my dentist office. I used another dental hygienist at a different office because I did not like the one at my dentist. No need to transfer dental records for this.

19. Fallschirmjäger

Well that was back in Biblical times, so I guess it's always possible. Just like Shantinatha lived for 800,000 years.
    Or, for that matter that Kunthunatha lived 200,000, Aranatha lived 84,000, Mallinatha lived 56,000, or that Munisuvrata lived 30,000 years before their deaths.

It was a marvelous time back then... before small pox, cow pox, polio, cancer, measels, dysentery, anthrax, cholera........