Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
68,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?
— Patrick Henry, 3 J. Elliot, Debates in the Several State Conventions 45, 2d ed. Philadelphia, 1836

1836 is pretty late. What was going on? Or is that simply the date the book was printed? (he died in 1799 :wink: )

Still what motivated the comment?

·
Romans 10:13
4,638 Posts
1799 huh. Was it Gunny? Am I close? I know MP you thought I actually posted something serious. I don't have a clue.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
MP,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, I can not download since it is large (20M) and I am on a super slow connection. The year was 1787, place Philadelphia. Note sure what motivaed since I have not read but will try and download.

Vol. 5 has title: Debates on the adoption of the federal Constitution in the convention held at Philadelphia. 1787; with a diary of the debates of the Congress of the confederation; as reported by James Madison ... Rev. and newly arranged by Jonathan Elliot. Vol v. Supplementary to Elliot's Debates ... 1845.
http://books.google.com/books?id=4jgOAA ... 45#PPP1,M1

·
68,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who was proposing the "humiliating and debasing degradation?"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts