Georgia's Unemployment Chaos

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by Deepocean, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Deepocean

Deepocean Member

Fortunately I'm still getting a paycheck but I'm hearing from some of my co-workers that aren't so fortunate that Georgia's DOL is in total disarray from the flood of unemployment claims.
    Talked to one person this morning, it's been over a week and he still doesn't have a PIN number and no idea when his claim may be processed. Was told by someone at the DOL that their staff was down by over 50%. I'm concerned that we are going to lose most of these folks, judging from the calls I've had there seems to be plenty of demand for "side jobs". If they have to find another job or line of work they aren't coming back.
    I guess all this cheery talk about taking care of these folks is all a bunch of bullshit.

2. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Member

I just checked the DOL website trying to help a self employed family member get benefits started. From the info there it appears they're not allowed to begin taking or dispersing the enhanced benefits package. They're waiting on the feds for some reason...

3. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

In addition to unemployeement they're also saying it may take up to 20 weeks to get a stimulus check.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

"They" being the IRS.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/politics/stimulus-20-weeks-irs/index.html

Initially, the IRS will make about 60 million payments, likely in the week of April 13, for taxpayers who provided their direct deposit information through their 2018 or 2019 tax returns, the memo from the House Ways and Means Committee says.
    Three weeks later, on the week of May 4, the IRS expects to start issuing paper checks to individuals whose bank information isn't already on file, a process that will take much longer.
    [​IMG]

When will you get your stimulus cash, and how?

According to the committee, the paper checks will be issued at a rate of about 5 million per week, and that it could take up to 20 weeks to issue all the checks. Individuals with the lowest income, based on adjusted gross income, will receive their checks first.​

5. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Mnuchen was on TV live yesterday saying it should be in your account within 2 weeks. He specfically cut it back from 3 weeks.

Nemo

6. Deepocean

Deepocean Member

I have faith that the IRS can manage to get the stimulus checks out in time. I'm not so confident that GDOL can get the unemployment checks out in a timely manner.

7. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

https://www.wtoc.com/2020/04/09/unemployment-claims-skyrocket-georgia/