GeorgiaPacking.Org Membership cards.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Ashe, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

I was thinking today, that it would be a great Idea if there were a number that GP.O members could call in case of an emergency. And by emergency I mean that if for some reason a member was arrested for open carry in a local park, or because the officer decided he was the law in his area. ect...

I know that today I was OCing in my front yard while cleaning up some wood from the new front steps I put in this weekend, and while I normally never see an officer at all , today I saw two different officers slowly drive by 4 times while I was out there. I was waiting for one of them to stop and say something but they just drove by like they were keeping an eye on me or something.

Then I thought that this number could be on a business card that each member got that included his membership ID #. That way if someone were to go to jail they could have a number to call for assistance. I know if I had been arrested today I would have been stuck in jail until they decided to give me some sort of bail. I don't have too many people that I can think of to call in that situation.

Perhaps we could talk some gun related businesses into giving a discount to members that show their cards...

2. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I'd like to have one.

3. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

I've thought about GCO cards too. I thought to keep costs to a minimum we could do them on a regular business card with the attourney’s phone numbers, maybe a statement on what to say to police when confronted, and two lines where the member could print his/her name and member number. The member could then laminate the card themselves.

Any other input.

Chris

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

removed by poster

5. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

+1. I was thinking the same thing. I already printed his contact info and put it in my wallet.

6. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I'm sure he'll bring plenty of cards. :lol:

If I were him, I know I would.

7. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I think the idea of a business card with what to say, attorney contact info, etc. is a great idea. I plan on getting some of Mr. King's cards at the luncheon. Having said that.....

I don't think GCO is the appropriate point of contact if someone "gets in trouble". Their purpose is not to be a legal defense team, defense fund, or bail bond company. Once you get bailed out of jail, I am sure there will be plenty of members (maybe even GCO admin types) willing to "help out". However, if I understand it correctly GCO is a 2A advocacy group fighting to protect our gun rights by addressing bad gun laws, etc.

Imagine if a GCO member did actually get in trouble (and actually did something wrong) and the first thing they did was call GCO for help. I would imagine GCO would want to distance themselves from the event in any way possible. That is what defense lawyers are for.

MP or someone please chime in here on this one. If you disagree with me I will gladly EDIT my post.

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

You make a good a point and I agree with you.

I was thinking along the lines of this as opposed to calling GCO. If you were to get arrested you would need the help of a criminal defense atty more than that of GCO. IF arrested for something that is clearly legal, I'm sure that GCO would want to get involved and could be helpful. If you did something wrong and got arrested or or got arrested for some thing that is a gray area of the law, it would likely be best for GCO to stay on the sidelines.

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm going to get a couple of DKings cards on the 17th to keep in my car/wallet/home should the need ever arise. I also want to talk to him about if a retainer is needed, or if I can just call in case of emergency and go from there.

10. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

Apparently some people don't understand what I was talking about.

If someone breaks a law and does something that they know is wrong thats all them. I have no tolerance for criminals of any sort. anyone who thinks that if they do something wrong they are going to get an ounce of sympathy from me is disillusioned.

However, if someone gets arrested because the police do not know the law or think that the law is whatever they make it then I think that having someone to call to at least let others know what is going on is important. I know that If I were arrested for say open carry in my front yard there is noone that I would be able to really call, and I cannot afford a lawyer right now. I've already got too much money tied up in a custody case.

I am pretty sure I'm correct that if a person brings a civil rights suit against the government at any level and wins the government has to pay for all legal fees etc. thats why the ACLU keeps bringing up these stupid separation of church and state cases, because they make money off of them.

11. VolGrad

I do understand what you are saying. However, right or wrong, it still is not GCO's responsibility to act as a defense team or bail bond company. As far as "letting people know what is going on". I think that can be done after the fact if relevant to the group and it doesn't impact your pending civil/criminal case. I feel for you. I can't afford an attorney either, but that still isn't GCO's responsibility. I am sure there would be many folks on the forum (which is not GCO, just GCO members who post here) that would be willing to chip in to help out. Just ask ASBRAND.[/i]

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm still in agreement with Volgrad.

If you were wrongfully arrested and charged you would need a good criminal defense atty to fight the charges and defend you. As nice as it would be to be able to just call GCO, that's not what GCO is about. I'm sure that GCO would be interested in what's going on, but to the best of my knowledge, no board members are criminal defense attys, and that is what you would need. After sucessfully (hopefully) defending yourself, you will need a civil rights atty to sue the pants off the dept, city, or county that falsely arrested you.

13. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

It would be nice to know local attys who are well versed in the law like DKing so if something did happen they would be close.

14. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I just think it would be nice to have a card like the NRA's card. So that when I spread the word about GCO, I can show them my card, you know.

15. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

And possibly use it to get a discount from merchants that sponsor GCO...

16. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I don't know...

If a member of GCO should be arrested for doing something that is, or should be, legal, shouldn't the rest of us want to come to that individual's defense?

One of the advantages of belonging to an organized group is knowing the group is behind you and will support you should you find yourself in trouble.

Every member, and former member, of the French Foreign Legion has a card with a number on it to call no matter what the problem, no matter where in the world it occurs. If a Legionnaire needs help, the legion will help him. No matter what and no matter where it happens!!!

OK, this isn't the Legion, but I think it would be nice to have a similar card for GCO members.

As a group, we are law abiding and pretty much low profile. If one of us has a gun-related legal problem, chances are it's bogus! Therefore, I think all of us would want to do something to help that member. A 24-hour number would be a great place to start. Having all of us chip in to pay the legal fees of a member who's being screwed around on a gun-related charge would be a good thing. I know I'd pay my share of any such costs.

I'm not talking about drunk driving or spouse abuse or shop lifting or anything other than gun related charges. Bogus gun related charges.

Well, that's my opinion. So, what do the rest of you think?

:-k

17. VolGrad

It would be nice to know someone has your back. I know the individual members of GCO would be willing to help out. However, wouldn't this be redefining the mission of GCO if they were to get involved as an organization?

How come MP posts 1,532 messages per day, but doesn't jump in when something like this comes up? :shakehead:

18. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Would it? By lending aid in a real case, wouldn't GCO be "working toward the reform of Georgia's poorly written, overly restrictive, ignored by the courts gun laws." bringing public and media attention to the issue, and showing that we are NOT unscrupulous criminals and that we DO stand by what we say?

19. FireStar

FireStar Guest

I think that type of group could be a good thing and a positive force, even though I personally would have a hard time trusting that kind of ideal.

I think if you're going to implement an organized support group like that, where the whole sees to the needs of the individuals, there ought to be a higher level of commitment (and screening) when new members join. What does the French Foreign Legion require before they allow someone to become a member?

And I think there would need to be some means in place to ensure that no one abuses the good will.

20. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

That's kind of what I was talking about. It might have DKing's number and maybe a few other legal eagle's that are members for us to have a point of contact for legal issues. But I think just to have a GCO card, like I said earlier, it could be just a business card that would say GCO member, 2 lines for you to write your name and member number, and one or two printed statements for us to refer to if we need a reminder of what to say when confronted, unjustly by an uninformed LEO. The member could pick up one of those self laminating kits from the store if they wanted to.

Just a sugestion. I didn't mean any implication of using GCO as a point of contact, just use the lawyers who would want thier name and number to be preprinted on the card.