Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen the light!
I have been to the edge and have peered into the gates of hell, otherwise known as Georgians for gun safety, and looked the devil in the eye.

From now on I will:

keep my gun unloaded at all times, and if a bad bad man breaks in I will politlely excuse myself and go and load my gun

If a bad bad fellow breaks into my house, I will not shoot him even if he has a gun. Instead, I have prepared a short but telling 50 question test which when interpreted by a psychologist will reveal the bad bad guys deepest motives for breaking in, and give him coping strategies for immediate reform.

Each night, I will bury all of my guns in the back yard, and then bury the ammunition in a seperate area to ensure safety.

I will only use my gun for self defense if I am hunting

blah blah blah (and all this from an educated man)

·
Registered
994 Posts
DrGlock said:
Each night, I will bury all of my guns in the back yard, and then bury the ammunition in a seperate area to ensure safety.
Might I suggest posting a lighted sign at each location clearly indicating what is buried for safety purposes.

·
68,974 Posts
DrGlock said:
I have seen the light!
Yeah, me, too! :D The people at GCO are bad, bad, bad!

I am going to melt down all my guns and make a "peace" sculpture.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Yeah, me, too! :D The people at GCO are bad, bad, bad!

I am going to melt down all my guns and make a "peace" sculpture.
I already did and I donated it to the UN .... here is a photo.

Yes, its big. I had lots of guns before I came to my senses.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Don't know about you, but that is appalling...

That revolver needs a serious coat of oil, and a new plating job. And whoever left that thing outside for some kid to get, should be shot.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I did a bit of snooping about GGS. Turns out that their site is owned by Atlanta Fulton County Commission On Children & Youth.

I guess they are "thinking of the children".

·
68,974 Posts
Tinkerhell said:
I did a bit of snooping about GGS. Turns out that their site is owned by Atlanta Fulton County Commission On Children & Youth.

I guess they are "thinking of the children".
What? :shock:

Got a link for this?

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Domain ID:D37327467-LROR
Domain Name:GEORGIANSFORGUNSAFETY.ORG
Created On:05-Oct-2000 01:22:21 UTC
Last Updated On:30-Oct-2006 22:10:48 UTC
Expiration Date:05-Oct-2009 01:22:21 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Network Solutions LLC (R63-LROR)
Registrant ID:2877031-NSI
Registrant Name:GEORGIANS FOR GUN SAFETY
Registrant Organization:GEORGIANS FOR GUN SAFETY
Registrant Street1:100 EDGEWOOD AVE NE STE 1008
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:ATLANTA
Registrant State/Province:GA
Registrant Postal Code:30303-3067
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.4045277426
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant *********@cc.gatech.edu
Admin ID:2877031-NSI
Admin Name:GEORGIANS FOR GUN SAFETY
Admin Organization:GEORGIANS FOR GUN SAFETY
Admin Street1:100 EDGEWOOD AVE NE STE 1008
Admin Street2:
Admin Street3:
Admin City:ATLANTA
Admin State/Province:GA
Admin Postal Code:30303-3067
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.4045277426
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin *********@cc.gatech.edu
Tech ID:5358805-NSI
Tech Name:Network Solutions, LLC.
Tech Organization:Network Solutions, LLC.
Tech Street1:13200 Woodland Park Drive
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Herndon
Tech State/Province:VA
Tech Postal Code:20171-3025
Tech Country:US
Tech Phone:+1.188864296
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:+1.5714344620
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech *********************@networksolutions.com
Name Server:NS2.IXN.COM
Name Server:NS.IXN.COM

·
Registered
160 Posts
Registrant Street1:100 EDGEWOOD AVE NE STE 1008
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:ATLANTA
Registrant State/Province:GA
Registrant Postal Code:30303-3067
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.4045277426
Registrant *********@cc.gatech.edu
Admin ID:2877031-NSI
I just did a reverse phone number lookup on the registrant phone number and it is indeed Atlanta Fulton County Commission On Children & Youth.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Makes me wonder if someone who works there is just using that phone number as a point of contact for their own personal business.

Notice the domain on the email address; wonder if that's a violation of Georgia Tech's computing policy. :)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Bah! you guys beat me to all of it.
Gotta love WHOIS. Most people have no clue how much of their personal info is readily available if you register a website.

As a side note that # is also for some other children's group that is at the same address also except for the suite #. The WHOIS is a STE 1008 but the other group at the phone # is like 508 (I called & asked em :twisted: ). Of course they might have more than one suite. Either way it's still a childrens group.

I tried to find some info on the Atlanta Fulton County Commission On Children & Youth but couldn't come up with much of anything. Work site blockers again. :censored:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
for s&g I looked up GPO. It looks good, some guy named Matt at a nice box # in Rome seems to own it.

Not sure what this wiztech thing that he can be contacted at is though... :) Apparently some kind of start up we do it all internet service company. Nice simply clean design for the site though.

Hey a, Matt, check your pm's when you get a sec. I have a question for ya.

·
68,974 Posts
Is this Fulton County Commission on Children and Youth a public entity? What is the connection to Georgia Tech, of all places?

What happened to the days when this was a school for engineers?

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Tinkerhell said:
Work site blockers again. :censored:
Ah. my friend, we need to talk about Tor. :D

I'll send you a PM detailing how to circumvent your companies' censorship software after I get back from class. The best part is that they won't even know you are doing it.

Unless they are watching a specific port for traffic, which I HIGHLY doubt.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Tinkerhell said:
for s&g I looked up GPO. It looks good, some guy named Matt at a nice box # in Rome seems to own it.

Not sure what this wiztech thing that he can be contacted at is though... :) Apparently some kind of start up we do it all internet service company. Nice simply clean design for the site though.

Hey a, Matt, check your pm's when you get a sec. I have a question for ya.
It is mine,
Correct,
Thank you,
Already answered

·
68,974 Posts
Related?

I wonder . . . got it!

The good ones listen
"On Alice Johnson's key chain hangs the key to a car stolen five years ago from one of the biggest dealerships in Gwinnett County.

The key was given to Johnson by Dre, a high school kid who came close to completely screwing up his life.

Dre called Johnson one night in 1999 and told her that he'd done something stupid. She imagined the worst. "What? What did you do?" she asked him.

"Stole a car," he replied.

"Well, what are you going to do about it?" she asked.

Dre didn't have an answer. But Johnson did. She told him that if he wanted to avoid arrest, doing time, and maybe even avoid the police altogether, he'd have to tell the dealership what he did.

"Go tomorrow," she said. "I'll drive."

The next day, Dre, with Johnson at his side, told the dealership manager that he'd swiped a car from the lot by busting open the box where all the car keys are kept. The manager then did the most unexpected thing. He offered Dre a job.

At Johnson's request, we changed Dre's name. (His current employer, a Greenbriar Mall retailer, may not care to hear he once stole a car.)

To Johnson, the key to the stolen car is a reminder that not all car dealership managers are heartless -- and not all deviant teenagers are hopeless.

Johnson, 56, was raised in Chicago by blue-collar parents who told her she'd probably never attend college. The nuns who taught at Johnson's Catholic school thought otherwise, and their encouragement served two purposes.

The first was that their support pushed Johnson to make grades that would win her a four-year college scholarship. The other was that their perseverance showed Johnson that young people could go a lot further in life with the help of caring adults. Since then, Johnson has tried to be that type of adult.

She began her career as a teacher, but the rigidity of institutional schools disappointed her. After moving to Atlanta and volunteering for Andrew Young's first mayoral campaign, she took a job at City Hall answering phones.

Ten years later, in 1992, she became executive director of the Atlanta Fulton Commission on Youth, a group founded by Andy Young's wife, Jean Childs Young. (The name of the group was later changed to the Jean Childs Young Institute for Youth.)

Ever since, she's devoted her life to helping the type of kids most people cross the street to avoid.

She met her first real gangster in 1993, at a conference she organized on inner-city youth and violence in the wake of the Rodney King riots. Several members of the Crypts gang showed up. So did their rivals, the Black Gangster Disciples. The gang members didn't fight, nobody got shot, and nothing was stolen. They just wanted a chance to explain why their world was so violent, and why they had to carry guns with them everywhere they went.

"It became pretty clear that the stereotype of gang members as bling-wearing, Jag-driving hoodlums was certainly not typical," she says. "These were young men and women who came from pretty disruptive family lives."

For the past 12 years, Johnson has met with high school kids every Thursday to hear what they have to say. It struck her that the kids were incredibly bright but felt helpless to do anything about the deteriorating world around them. No one listened to them, and she was determined to change that.

When she first met with the Crypts and the Black Gangster Disciples, they said they were being harassed by MARTA cops at the Five Points Station. She set up a meeting between the kids, MARTA officials, and the Atlanta Police Department. An investigation ensued, and as a result, some of the MARTA cops accused of conducting excessive searches were transferred to different stations, Johnson recalls.

She also took up another big problem the gang members brought to her attention. The kids told her they carried guns because they feared they'd be jacked if they didn't have protection. It dawned on her that, despite conventional wisdom, society had become too violent to ignore the problems kids face each day.

"I began to realize that if we were going to be asking young people to not carry guns, we were going to have to figure out how to make the community safer," Johnson says. "And those decisions could only be made at the legislative level, and that was what started our advocacy to work on gun violence prevention. And we've been doing it ever since."

She started a side project called Georgians for Gun Safety, which sponsors gun buy-back programs and lobbies for stronger firearm regulations. Last year, the group assisted in halting legislation sponsored by Rep. Bobby Franklin, R-Marietta, that would have allowed people to carry pistols to public gatherings such as political rallies, restaurants, bars, churches, and even football games.

[ :shock: Oh, no! :lol: ]

Johnson left the Jean Childs Young Institute for Youth in October to run Georgians for Gun Safety full time. The job doesn't pay, which is fine with Johnson because she's never really cared about making money and has enough savings to cover expenses for a while. She's lived for more than a decade in a modest house in Grant Park and drives an 8-year-old Chevy Blazer, which, she says, "I bought to drive the kids around."

By "kids" she means the teenagers she counsels every week. She doesn't have a family of her own.

Even though the focus of Johnson's work has shifted to gun control, she still keeps in close contact with the kids she's befriended. On a Tuesday night in December, she gathered with five teenagers in a meeting room on the 10th floor of the United Way building in downtown Atlanta. They ate sausage pizza, drank apple juice, and talked about the problems they're having in school.

When asked how school was going, Kelvin Ford told Johnson that he gets easily bored in class, "especially when the teacher goes over the same thing for the third or fourth time," he says. "I'd just get up and leave."

Johnson attempted to get the others involved in the discussion, but they were reticent. Instead of pushing the kids to talk more, Johnson let the silence grow longer and more awkward until someone else broke it.

Eventually, the whole group was talking about the bad teachers they'd had and the few good ones who really seem to care.

When asked how he tells a good teacher from a bad teacher, Ford answered, "The good ones listen."
http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyro ... id%3A17904

1 - 20 of 31 Posts