GeorgiaCarry Asking for Help in Appeal of 60-Day Issue Case

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by jrm, Sep 5, 2006.

1. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

GeorgiaCarry.Org is asking for help raising money to cover court costs to appeal the issue of whether probate judges really must issue GFLs within 60 days. If this case is successful on appeal, the ruling will have state-wide effect and therefore benefit all GFL holders and applicants.

Please look on GCO's home pagefor more information.

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

JRM,
    Can we get a PayPal option to make it a bit easier?

3. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Anything for you, USMCR. The GCO site posting has been revised to include a Paypal address.

4. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I just read all those court docs.

It's depressing, really. Shall only means "shall" when you're not talking about a GFL...

5. USMC - Retired

Paypal donation sent... :D

Can we get a "rolling total" of this so we can see how far we have to go?

6. wwomack

wwomack New Member

Small donation sent via paypal. I read all the court documents and I'm surprised the judge ruled the way he did. It seems to me that he didn't even address any of the plaintiff's arguments. Hopefully this will do better on appeal.

7. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

USMCR, including some Paypal donations that recently came in, we have received $122.23 so far. We also have pledges of $191.50. If we receive all the money pledged, we will have met our goal.

If you sent money, thank you for your donation. If you pledged to send money, please send it so that we can post an announcement that we are good to go.

Thanks to everyone for the tremendous show of support we have received.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:woohoo: :cheers: =D> \:D/ :goldstar: :righton:

Wow! :shock:

That was quick! I am embarassed to confess that I was not so sure many people cared all that much about this sort of thing. That is what I get for prejudging the situation.

I want to second jrm's thanks.

9. USMC - Retired

Great to hear JRM!

Just a note for folks doing a donation by Paypal. Paypal charges the recipient a fee for each transaction so if you want to donate say $20 you need to send a bit extra so they actually get the full $20 not $18 and some change....

10. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

UPDATE:

With some pledges received as donations in today's mail, we now have raised:

$258.73

and we have additional outstanding pledges of $55.

Thanks to those who have made donations. If you have an outstanding pledge, please send it as soon as you are able or PM me if you will be delayed or unable to send it.

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I pledge $20

Okay, I'll pledge $20. I don't have a PayPal account (and given their anti-gun stance, I will strongly resist ever establishing one). But I will mail a check to the law office in Roswell.

Normally I think of myself as too poor to donate money to charity, seeing as earn less money than the night shift manager of a convenience store (of course I have fewer people wanting to rob me!), but just the other day I bought some good-quality .308 soft-points for deer hunting, and they cost almost $20 for a box of 20! What would it say about me if I didn't support gun rights (and more importantly the rule of law-- probate courts must obey the rules set forth by the state legislature) to the tune of just one box of ammo?

P.S. If I get a deer this year, I'll donate several pounds of venison to the cause, too. Does that law office have a back deck overlooking the Chattahoochee and a propane grill? ;-)

12. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Gunsmoker, thanks for your pledge. We have sufficient pledges already, however, to meet our goal. Unless some of the other outstanding pledges don't come through, your donation will not be necessary. On the other hand, although the law offices are not strategically located on the bluffs of the river, we do have the technology to turn venison into a fine meal. Those donations are always welcome! And, if you deliver it personally on your way to Forsyth some time, we'll provide such additional accompaniments as to make your trip worthwhile.

13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

donation on the way

Too late. The check is in the mail. I guess you'll just have to incur some additional expenses related to this lawsuit. ;-)

14. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I have confirmed with outstanding pledgers that they are sending their donations. I am considering our goal as having been reached. Thanks again to everyone who contributed. Progress in the case will be posted when it is available.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Rule of Law

Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law. Stripped of all technicalities, this means that government in all its actions is bound by rules fixed and announced beforehand--rules which make it possible to foresee with fair certainty how the authority will use its coercive power in given circumstances and to plan one's individual affairs on the basis of this knowledge. Though this ideal can never be perfectly achieved, since legislators as well as those to whom the administration of the law is intrusted are fallible men, the essential point, that the discretion left to the executive organs wielding coercive power should be reduced as much as possible, is clear enough. While every law restricts individual freedom to some extent by altering the means which people may use in the pursuit of their aims, under the Rule of Law the government is prevented from stultifying individual efforts by ad hoc action. Within the known rules of the game the individual is free to pursue his personal ends and desires, certain that the powers of government will not be used deliberately to frustrate his efforts.

--Friedrich Hayek

16. BergerBoy

BergerBoy New Member

Blah, wish I had seen this sooner!

Well if ya'll want/need a small donation in the future, I'm a glad contributor to the cause!