Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Channel 2 news had just reported that Gov. Perdue has declared a State of Emergency until further notice, due to the weather.

Does that mean what I think it means, relative to carrying of weapons by GWCL holders?

Your thoughts?

Jerry

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
js415 said:
Channel 2 news had just reported that Gov. Perdue has declared a State of Emergency until further notice, due to the weather.

Does that mean what I think it means, relative to carrying of weapons by GWCL holders?

Your thoughts?

Jerry
Please elaborate...seriously

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
js415 said:

Your thoughts?

Jerry
I saw that and had the same thought... the good news is that the way they are predicting this...
we won't be attempting to carry outside the house for a day or 2 anyway...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
He does have the power to do that. For now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
krmbigmac said:
In some states, like North Carolina, when a state of emergency has been declared it is unlawful to carry a firearm even if you are licensed to do so, unless you are exempt (such as a police officer).

Anyone know if GA has this law?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
krmbigmac said:
js415 said:

Your thoughts?

Jerry
That means that during a State of Emergency, some rights and privileges are suspended. I dont remember all the details but for example, buying guns and ammo would be forbidden, having fuel (gasoline, kerosene) would be forbidden etc. Check the statues for complete list. :lol:

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,993 Posts
mygunstoo said:
krmbigmac said:
js415 said:

Your thoughts?

Jerry
That means that during a State of Emergency, some rights and privileges are suspended. I dont remember all the details but for example, buying guns and ammo would be forbidden, having fuel (gasoline, kerosene) would be forbidden etc. Check the statues for complete list. :lol:
Quick, before the snow hits someone go to Walmart and try to buy some ammo. :)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hcliu said:
krmbigmac said:
In some states, like North Carolina, when a state of emergency has been declared it is unlawful to carry a firearm even if you are licensed to do so, unless you are exempt (such as a police officer).

Anyone know if GA has this law?
This was my thinking, but I am unsure.

I believe it is the case, however, because we worked so hard to try and get HB 291 passed, which would do away with the power.

I "think" that it is now against the law, during the emergency, to carry outside your home.

I am not positive, and am searching, but can not seem to find the law or statute.

Maybe one of the legal folks has the info on the tip of their tongue!!!

Jerry

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Not only is the state or gov. powers, but also cities. The Mayors can assume emergency powers also and worst than what is stated on state law.

·
Registered
24 Posts
js415 said:
This was my thinking, but I am unsure.

I believe it is the case, however, because we worked so hard to try and get HB 291 passed, which would do away with the power.

I "think" that it is now against the law, during the emergency, to carry outside your home.

I am not positive, and am searching, but can not seem to find the law or statute.

Maybe one of the legal folks has the info on the tip of their tongue!!!

Jerry
After discussing with another friend, it seems like SB291 was just a protection of such orders from the Gov. to suspend rights or take our guns during emergency. I THINK (I THINK...I don't know) that perhaps at this point there is no law but it could be mandated by the Governor.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... section=51
(d)(8) Suspend or limit the sale, dispensing, or transportation of alcoholic beverages, firearms, explosives, and combustibles; provided, however, that any limitation on firearms under this Code section shall not include an individual firearm owned by a private citizen which was legal and owned by that citizen prior to the declaration of state of emergency or disaster or thereafter acquired in compliance with all applicable laws of this state and the United States; and
Now... I could see a court upholding a ban on carry or confiscation under
(c)(4) To perform and exercise such other functions, powers, and duties as may be deemed necessary to promote and secure the safety and protection of the civilian population.
Lawyers of course would know more, and better.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found this:

(8) Suspend or limit the sale, dispensing, or transportation of alcoholic beverages, firearms, explosives, and combustibles; provided, however, that any limitation on firearms under this Code section shall not include an individual firearm owned by a private citizen which was legal and owned by that citizen prior to the declaration of state of emergency or disaster or thereafter acquired in compliance with all applicable laws of this state and the United States;

Although I do not understand exactly what that whole paragraph means, in relation to carrying. It appears it does not mean anything, unless the Governor declares that carry must stop during the emergency.

It came from this page:

http://law.justia.com/georgia/codes/200 ... -3-51.html

Still looking.....

Jerry

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
For example, from the Cobb County Code Ordinances:

... 3. To suspend or limit the sale, dispensing or transportation of alcoholic beverages, firearms, explosives and flammable liquids and substances; ...

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Ya'll relax. No one is suspending anything right now.
This declaration allows the Governor to centralize the response of various State agencies, and it opens Georgia up for a claim to FEMA for Federal resources if it gets too bad, or if the disaster causes X amount of damage....
If Georgia DOESN'T declare a State of Emergency then they can't ask for FEMA help...or money.

Nothing to see here, move along.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
SheriffOconee said:
This declaration allows the Governor to centralize the response of various State agencies, and it opens Georgia up for a claim to FEMA for Federal resources if it gets too bad, or if the disaster causes X amount of damage....
If Georgia DOESN'T declare a State of Emergency then they can't ask for FEMA help...or money.

I think where people are concerned about is not knowing what the law is, since it's not 100% clearly stated. Since some other states automatically suspend carry rights (like NC), it's an important topic for people to discuss.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SheriffOconee said:

That is exactly what I was wanting to hear. I would hate to be out and about tomorrow and have an "event" because I was carrying.

Just for clarification, does the Governor, or Mayor have to come right out and state that carry laws have been suspended?

Thanks Sheriff, I knew somebody in the know would be along soon.

Thank you,

Jerry

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
SheriffOconee said:

Thanks, Sheriff!

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
The Governor would issue an executive order stopping the sale or distribution of "insert whatever it is here"
He has not done so.
This is not North Carolina.
The Governor has the power to do it, but there is no Executive Order to that effect.
Like I said, ya'll can relax....

1 - 20 of 63 Posts