Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
يفخر الكافر
Joined
·
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The state’s legislative session won't begin until Monday. But lawmakers got started weeks ago, “prefiling†bills that would block illegal immigrants from attending state colleges and punish government contractors who hire them. Yet more legislation is on the way. Much more.
http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-legislature-set-to-795367.html?cxtype=ynews_rss

Get ready for rallying cries of "Racism!", even though the legislation isn't targeting any specific race, but rather illegal immigrants in general. Wonder how long it takes the Obama administration to tar and feather Georgia like they did Arizona for upholding the laws that the federal government won't?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,204 Posts
Good, it's about friggin time.
 

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
only one can hope...but yeah thats gonna scream racism, imho.
 

·
يفخر الكافر
Joined
·
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's definitely a step in the right direction, and it appears that several other states may soon follow suit with similar legislation. We've been hearing plenty of rumors ever since Arizona took their stand, but maybe now we'll finally see some action from other state governments.

One can only hope that Congress will listen to the American people and draft some similar "racist" legislation themselves. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
Huh. I'm surprised. I thought it was already illegal to have any sort of financial interaction with an illegal immigrant whatsoever.
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,894 Posts
Yep, its about to happen, and I hope it does. If we weren't a welfare state, or if we had a Fair Tax, I probably wouldn't mind the illegals coming over in the millions, but the facts remain that WE ARE a Welfare State, and most illegals do NOT pay taxes and contribute.

We also should not promote illegal behavior by saying "ohh its ok you're here now, here is your citizenship." If we do that, our laws and our Republic, mean nothing. We are not a sovereign nation anymore. Reagan already did it once.

It would be a nice change at this time. Unless of course we want to cut ALL welfare entitlements AND institute a Fair Tax.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,998 Posts
The real question is how the GA law makers will pull this off balancing the results against the business interest of the middle and south GA farm lobby. They've got to find a way to make legislation that appears to have teeth without it actually biting any business interests. Sounds like business as usual, I'm sure the GOP is up to the task.
 

·
انا باتمان
Joined
·
11,745 Posts
migrant workers can be on an approved list so they are legal.

I think the best solution to this is to pass a law that says if you are caught with an illegal alien working for you there is a $10k fine per instance/worker on the first offense and a suspension of the business license for two weeks.

If they are caught a second time, the owner and all of the top officers in the company will be permanently banned from getting another business license in this state, linked through their social security numbers.

That would put the onus on that which is driving illegal immigration. But you need to check the farms in the south, the poultry factories near Lake Lanier, and you need to spot check construction sites.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,998 Posts
Don't forget the carpet mills in N GA, fast food places, and Mexican restaurants, but I don't see a law with that kind of "teeth" ever being passed.
 

·
انا باتمان
Joined
·
11,745 Posts
I would include all of those in the spot checks :righton:

But if we actually want to solve the problem and not just play lip service.

See you don't have to deport 10 million people, pass a law like this around the country, and the incentive for being here goes away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
It's about time Georgia did something about this scourge. Like bdee stated, we take away the incentive to squat on Georgia rolls when its made clear we aren't going to be run into the ground like California to support people that have an open, hostile contempt for our laws, don't have the first concern for our national sovereignty, and intend not to give but to take with every moment that they're here. We Georgians can't pay our bills as it is and its going to get much, much worse before it gets better. Never mind we don't need any more criminal minds or dead beats than we already have from our home grown population. Let's hope the men and women under the gold dome can make it stick. Besides, illegal is not a race.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,239 Posts
EJR914 said:
Yep, its about to happen, and I hope it does. If we weren't a welfare state, or if we had a Fair Tax, I probably wouldn't mind the illegals coming over in the millions, but the facts remain that WE ARE a Welfare State, and most illegals do NOT pay taxes and contribute.

We also should not promote illegal behavior by saying "ohh its ok you're here now, here is your citizenship." If we do that, our laws and our Republic, mean nothing. We are not a sovereign nation anymore. Reagan already did it once.

It would be a nice change at this time. Unless of course we want to cut ALL welfare entitlements AND institute a Fair Tax.
I've said this every time the immigration issue comes up. The fight against illegal immigration is won and lost at the border. You have to keep them out to begin with. You have to do this through 1) better enforcement at the border, 2) free trade to improve the Central American economy to reduce the disparity between Mexico and the U.S., and 3) and putting pressure on Mexico's government to reduce corruption within their own country. If Mexico's economy was closer to Canada's, we wouldn't have an illegal immigration problem.

Once they get into the country, everything you do is lose/lose. More strict enforcement techniques will run against 4th amendment issues. Do you want to give the government the authority to stop you and demand papers to ensure you're here legally? Even if you make it harder for them to find jobs, all that will do is stress the welfare system even more while they're here.

Plus, even if you are able to catch them without running into 4A issues, and even if you can streamline the deportation process to send them home, many of them are just going to try and sneak back into the U.S. anyways. You have to fix the problem at the source, in Mexico and on the border.

moga said:
It's about time Georgia did something about this scourge.
And this is why the General Assembly has introduced all these bills. People want the government to "do something." How can those of you who favor smaller government be OK with doing something for the sake of doing something. Shouldn't we be focusing on passing laws that work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
A few more places to do spot checks are at K-12 and hospitals. I'm not saying to deny them health care, but to deal with them when found. What I really want to say is that there are just enough liberals that trying to deny them jobs, education, etc. won't keep them out of Georgia. They will find a way to slip in and survive here. I don't know what the answer is. I don't think they should be rewarded with amnesty though. That's just rewarding criminal behavior.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,239 Posts
Melissa5 said:
A few more places to do spot checks are at K-12 and hospitals. I'm not saying to deny them health care, but to deal with them when found. What I really want to say is that there are just enough liberals that trying to deny them jobs, education, etc. won't keep them out of Georgia. They will find a way to slip in and survive here. I don't know what the answer is. I don't think they should be rewarded with amnesty though. That's just rewarding criminal behavior.
I can see both sides of the K-12 issue, but I disagree with the hospital one. If think discouraging them from going to the hospital for anything that they, who are not medical professionals, don't believe is life threatening, will have a body count. This is why passing laws that deal with them after they get here is lose/lose for everyone, and why we shouldn't add these laws to the books simply to make us feel like we're doing something.
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,894 Posts
ookoshi said:
EJR914 said:
Yep, its about to happen, and I hope it does. If we weren't a welfare state, or if we had a Fair Tax, I probably wouldn't mind the illegals coming over in the millions, but the facts remain that WE ARE a Welfare State, and most illegals do NOT pay taxes and contribute.

We also should not promote illegal behavior by saying "ohh its ok you're here now, here is your citizenship." If we do that, our laws and our Republic, mean nothing. We are not a sovereign nation anymore. Reagan already did it once.

It would be a nice change at this time. Unless of course we want to cut ALL welfare entitlements AND institute a Fair Tax.
I've said this every time the immigration issue comes up. The fight against illegal immigration is won and lost at the border. You have to keep them out to begin with. You have to do this through 1) better enforcement at the border, 2) free trade to improve the Central American economy to reduce the disparity between Mexico and the U.S., and 3) and putting pressure on Mexico's government to reduce corruption within their own country. If Mexico's economy was closer to Canada's, we wouldn't have an illegal immigration problem.

Once they get into the country, everything you do is lose/lose. More strict enforcement techniques will run against 4th amendment issues. Do you want to give the government the authority to stop you and demand papers to ensure you're here legally? Even if you make it harder for them to find jobs, all that will do is stress the welfare system even more while they're here.

Plus, even if you are able to catch them without running into 4A issues, and even if you can streamline the deportation process to send them home, many of them are just going to try and sneak back into the U.S. anyways. You have to fix the problem at the source, in Mexico and on the border.
Good post. But the problem is that we are BOTH living in a dream world. Our government is NEVER going to do anything that will effectively keep them out to begin with. Not going to happen. I'm for free trade all day long. I'm a big free market guy. HA! putting pressure on another country, like Mexico, to reduce corruption in its government? Ha, never going to happen... ever ever ever. Legalize EVERY SINGLE DRUG here and there might be a shot. Another thing that will never happen. Even the top Democrats in the country, LIKE OBAMA, doesn't want all drugs in America legalized. I'm all for the legalization of all drugs and system set up that works like the one in Portugal.

I really do not want any further restrictions on our 4th amendment rights, in fact, I want it to go the opposite way, where our 4th amendment rights are expanded, not reduced. No I do not want the gubmint to have the authority to stop you and demand papers. What I DO WANT, is for our law enforcement officers to be able to ASK citizenship if it in question, once they already HAVE someone in ARREST for a crime, so they have Probable Cause that a CRIME has already been committed. They need to get the BAD, Law-breaking, stealing, raping, murdering Illegals out of the country. I don't so much mind the ones that work their butt off, and try to be very productive people, the ones that follow most of the laws, and just want a better life for them and their family.

You go back to "better enforcement at the border" but we ALL know that NOBODY in our political system right now, is EVER going to do ONE darn thing to REALLY stop ALL illegals from crossing over the border. Not to mention, what you are talking about, is almost impossible.

We would literally have to take every military soldier that is abroad, and we would have to turn them into law enforcement officers, and then we would have to string them along the border, with SHOOT ON SIGHT orders, and every time they see an illegal crossing the border, they just gun them down. A literal WAR on our border. That will NEVER happen, so what you mention is just academic, and is not an option in our current political world. I'm trying to say it will NEVER happen. Even though this is what it would take to stop any illegal from EVER coming across our border illegally.

Even then, you've still got the people at the checkpoints, that have very good FAKE or just false ID's and documents, that make them look legal, and they get through security and checkpoints every day. You can NEVER stop all that from happening. They'll just make better fakes, and get better at hiding people in their autos as they pass through checkpoints. Its impossible to stop it all.

The ONLY way to stop illegals from coming over, is to literally take away all incentives for them to come over here to look for work. I don't even have a huge problem with those that just want to come here to work and better their lives. But if we make it ridiculously expensive and bring about very HARSH penalties for people that EMPLOY illegals, and then step up enforcement of those business owners and private small business, and even agriculture and construction, ect... then the employers will realize its become too expensive and dangerous to hire illegals, and they will once again, start employing American citizens. Also, we need to do away with high taxes on payroll and other small business taxes, and we also need to get rid of minimum wage, which will STOP the incentive for employers to hire illegals, that they pay in cash, and they do so, because they can pay them LESS than minimum wage.

This is the only way, and even that way is not perfect, and will not stop it all.

There is no way to stop it all. Just like the WAR on DRUGS, they will always find a way. The free market will always rule ALL. The truth is, that right now, business owners and farmers have an incentive to higher illegals, and illegals have a reason to come here, which is to either work, for drugs, or for human smuggling. If owners have no incentive to hire illegals, and you make the fines and punishments great for hiring illegals, and you take away the illegals incentive to come here, then you'll cut out, at least the illegals that come here for work.

You will still have the illegals that come here as coyotes or drug runners, and we would have to legalize all drugs, in a Portugal style system, and then we will cut down SOME of the incentives for the drug runners to come here... NOT ALL, THOUGH. And as far as human smuggling that should stop, when you take away all incentive for an illegal to want to come here to work, but even then, there will still be illegals that want to escape the drug wars, the violence, and the corruption of government in Mexico... so even then, you will STILL have illegal that will want to come here, because of our laws and our rights, and our justice and government system.

There is NO WAY to completely, ever make sure that not one illegal ever enters the country. The only way to do that, is to literally have the US to be more violent, more corrupt, and more bankrupt that Mexico. I don't ever want that for my country. But, it appears, if our country keeps going that way, it might just happen. We may at least one day be on par with Mexico, but we will at least, become a complete Socialist Police State, because people in this country are so wrapped up in voting either Republican or Democrat. Even if we could vote in all libertarians into all offices, I doubt that would even fix our country. It would probably just be more corrupt politicians. More lies, more BS.

There is no way to completely stop illegals from coming into the country and "securing the border" will never happen, because OUR COUNTRY has LOST the GUTS to do what needs to be done. Same reason why we can never win in A'stan. We will never let our military do what needs to be done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
How can those of you who favor smaller government be OK with doing something for the sake of doing something. Shouldn't we be focusing on passing laws that work?
We HAVE illegal immigration laws that work. That's the problem. The feds aren't willing to do their jobs, hoping that it gives Harry Reid time to pass the DREAM act in the interim and make more anchor babies. Frankly, Georgia wouldn't have to undertake legislative action if the Holder Justice Department would uphold the law. So, it is my opinion that the Georgia Assembly taking up the issue of illegal immigration isn't action taken for the sake "of doing something." It simply must be done, so that state officers have the authority to enforce that which the feds aren't willing. I agree with the idea that the effort to stem illegal immigration is best fought at our national borders but if the government won't do their jobs, it is the hope and desire of many, myself included, that the states will. That, coupled with a disincentive for US small businesses to have illegals on their payrolls, similar to the criminal and forfeiture statutes which act as a disincentive for drug lords (read: distributors) to supply dope to our communities, would be a ginormous step in the right direction IMO. We have to take away the reward for breaking our laws if we're ever to have hope of effectively resolving this issue.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,239 Posts
EJR914 said:
Good post. But the problem is that we are BOTH living in a dream world. Our government is NEVER going to do anything that will effectively keep them out to begin with. Not going to happen. I'm for free trade all day long. I'm a big free market guy. HA! putting pressure on another country, like Mexico, to reduce corruption in its government? Ha, never going to happen... ever ever ever. Legalize EVERY SINGLE DRUG here and there might be a shot. Another thing that will never happen. Even the top Democrats in the country, LIKE OBAMA, doesn't want all drugs in America legalized. I'm all for the legalization of all drugs and system set up that works like the one in Portugal.
All I'm going to say about the Mexico border is this: South Korea is radically wealthier than North Korea, but South Korea has very few illegal immigrants. The Mexican border IS an issue of National Security for us. If a terrorist wants to get into the U.S., coming in through Mexico is the most likely point of entry. We must defend the Mexican border with enough force keeping that in mind.

What I DO WANT, is for our law enforcement officers to be able to ASK citizenship if it in question, once they already HAVE someone in ARREST for a crime, so they have Probable Cause that a CRIME has already been committed. They need to get the BAD, Law-breaking, stealing, raping, murdering Illegals out of the country. I don't so much mind the ones that work their butt off, and try to be very productive people, the ones that follow most of the laws, and just want a better life for them and their family.
Don't we already do this? I'm under the impression that if you're in jail for a serious crime, they do bring in ICE if you're an illegal. If certain agencies are slack, but that's fixed by having a governor come down on the very agencies he's in charge of, we don't need new laws passed to do this.

You go back to "better enforcement at the border" but we ALL know that NOBODY in our political system right now, is EVER going to do ONE darn thing to REALLY stop ALL illegals from crossing over the border. Not to mention, what you are talking about, is almost impossible.
We don't need to stop ALL, if our success rate at stopping them goes up to 90+% from whatever the abysmal % it is now, as people will slowly stop trying.

I'm trying to say it will NEVER happen. Even though this is what it would take to stop any illegal from EVER coming across our border illegally.
That's because the Mexican border issue is always presented as an economic problem. In reality, it is also a National Security problem, and should be treated as such.

The ONLY way to stop illegals from coming over, is to literally take away all incentives for them to come over here to look for work. I don't even have a huge problem with those that just want to come here to work and better their lives. But if we make it ridiculously expensive and bring about very HARSH penalties for people that EMPLOY illegals, and then step up enforcement of those business owners and private small business, and even agriculture and construction, ect... then the employers will realize its become too expensive and dangerous to hire illegals, and they will once again, start employing American citizens.
When the current options open to them in Mexico is abject poverty and death, there's really no disincentive you can create to deter them from coming. Building Mexico up HAS to be part of the solution, there's simply no other choice.
 
1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Top