@ Georgia Tech

Discussion in 'In the News' started by GTWolfman, Sep 21, 2007.

1. GTWolfman

GTWolfman Member

[sarcasm] Yay for disarmament zones. . . [/sarcasm]

-----------
    CRIME ALERT
    (Posted 9-20-07)

On Tuesday September 18, 2007 at approximately 4:30 pm, a Georgia Tech
    Student was a victim of an Armed Robbery at the North Avenue
    Apartments.
    The victim was held at knife point in an elevator.

Description of Subject: Black male, 6'0ft. Tall, wearing blue
    jeans, a white tee shirt, black sneakers, a black baseball cap and
    carrying a black, read and white jacket.
    ----------

2. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I don't know how bad it is generally now, but when I was a PL back in 02-03 it was REALLY bad. Mostly though the Georgia State people had it the worst. I suppose one advantage of being mostly guys is that there a fewer girls to rape. However, that didn't help Georgia State's predominately female population.

3. GTWolfman

GTWolfman Member

Yah.. so I was a freshman at GT in '96.. that was back when the projects were still in existence over at techwood dr and north ave. We could typically tell what kind of gun was fired at what range based on the amount of gun shots we used to hear. I know someone got blown away at point blank with a 12ga right in front of the then GSU village on North Ave. I witnessed a guy toss a bag of drugs in our open dorm hallway one time when a cop was coming down the street in front of him.

It is WAY better than it used to be.. but unless I am mistaken, Atlanta is still proud holder of the #1 violent crime location in the country. I just think the general citizenry should be able to be armed wherever they feel they could be in a "compromising" situation. (For the record.. I work at Georgia Tech as well.. so I am still involved with campus life here and am still pretty well up to speed of the goings-on around here.)

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

According to this, we're 17: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html

They include burglary and motor vehicle theft, though, so the numbers will be different from pure violent crime numbers, but it's probably a pretty good estimate. I wish we weren't in the top 25 :(

5. moonchicken

moonchicken New Member

Aahhhh, east campus, brittain dining hall( :puke: ), dorm rooms that make you feel like you're living in a ghetto, having to share a bathroom with the entire dorm population, walking to the BP gas station in the middle of the night to get a snack while getting hassled by the bums asking for change every time you crossed the street......so many memories....:roll:

:lol:

6. Axeman

Axeman New Member

While working on a satellite dish, I have found bullets on top of the roof of one of our buildings that borders North Ave. This was around 96-97.

7. Axeman

Axeman New Member

I meant to say shot bullets from gun, not the whole cartridge. :)

8. rajl

rajl Guest

I remember being at Tech (01-05)....I lived on West Campus my first two years and east campus my second two years. I always felt safe on West Campus, though we did have some crime problems on East Campus. But I lived in the Greek sector, which was much better than the dorms which were about two blocks away.

Atlanta has this weird thing of being able to go between good and bad neighborhoods in a block, and GT is no exception. The freshman dorms on East Campus by the football stadium was where almost all the crime occured. And even there, the worst crime was Smith and Brown halls, which were right on North Avenue. The crime rate seemed to plummet dramatically with every few feet you went further into Tech campus. Perry and Mathieson dorms are only a block away from Smith and Brown (at the other end of the football stadium), but I almost never heard of anyone getting mugged outside of them.

9. CtheHammer

CtheHammer New Member

I lived on East my freshman year and West for the next three years and I never really ran into any crime problems on either side. However, now I am living two blocks north of campus in Homepark and we had some issues a couple of weeks ago with some dudes that were squating in the house next door. Seems they were cutting out the copper pipes under people's houses and selling the pipes to buy drugs. It's quite possible that they were the ones to set one of the front rooms of that house on fire too. Real nice sort of folks to be living next to.

But that's part of why I have a case to lock up my two guns...(and hate the fact that I have to leave them behind every day when I walk to class)

C

10. adcurt

adcurt New Member

What color is "read" and who wrote that originally?

At least they wrote in his race. That's helpful. At Emory (gf attends grad school there) they will actually write, "speaks with a latin american accent", but never write "Mexican". It's classic. Same thing goes for any race. It's never included. I've been waiting on the crime report that has something like, "A Male, 6'0", speaks jive, wearing..."

Ironically the only exception is if the perp is white. Then they list it. Go figure.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Now now, you don't want to go hurting the perp's feelings or anything like that. They may get angry and want to commit another crime :roll:

12. adcurt

adcurt New Member

I see your wisdom.

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:wink:

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

See www.georgiacarry.org for an update

15. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

That's funny. Yeah, I'd feel a lot safer. :roll:

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:wink:

17. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Perhaps all the perp needed was a hug. Just think, all this could have all been averted! :lol: