Georgia Primaries July 18th

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Bradford, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Bradford

Bradford New Member

I am new to this site, and to this state, (moved to Gwinnett County about six months ago). With elections coming up soon, I was wondering if anyone new the 2nd amendment views of any of the canidates. I read on Ralph Reed's website that he is a supporter, and that he is endorsed by the NRA, but havent found much on anyone else. I know there as been some unsuccesful attempts to change some of georgias poor CCW laws recently, maybe we will get some good people in office this year. Thanks for any info.

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Bradford, welcome!

If you click on Current Bills, you'll see new boxes for senate and house report cards. Only legislators are included right now.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Good to have a new member!

But jrm means Current Bills in the yellow box at the top and not the forum of the same name.

4. Bradford

Bradford New Member

I am familiar with th "Current Bills" page of the website, I have been reading through the the website for a couple of weeks now, today was the just the first time I posted anything. So, I guess I should have been more clear with my question.
    I was refering mostly to any of the challengers that do not have voting records for us to go by. Specially in the Lt. Governors seat, as someone who presides overs the state senate. their leadership could have a impact potentially, if they were a vocal supporter.
    I am aware of the "stand your ground" bill that governor Purdue passed, but am not sure of any other 2nd amendment bills that have come across his desk since he has held office.
    Also, with the attorney general seat up for election, is there the possibility of a different interpertation on the public gathering clause ? Thanks again for any info. stay safe.

5. Liberty.45ACP

Liberty.45ACP Member

I agree. While it's nice to have the report cards for the current legislators, it would be great to hear anything regarding those that don't have that background, like Reed.

Though I have to admit, after just receiving a recorded phone call from Rudy Giuliani telling me about his good friend Ralph Reed, my initial response is that anyone that liberal would support is highly suspicious in my book.

Casey Cagle was our state senator up here, so I'm somewhat familiar with him (he has a B rating).

Any other comments from those that have a better feel for the candidates would be greatly appreciated.[/b]

--Bill Tuttle

6. Malum Prohibitum

He signed everything that made it to his desk.

What interpretation is bad now?

The statute is bad, but the attorney general's interpretations are about as good as they can be since he is saddled with a terrible public gathering statute. I believe the AG opinion favors carry as much as is possible within the framework of the Jim Crow law he had to interpret.

I will go even further. The current (Democrat) AG's opinions on gun statutes are better than Mike Bowers's (Republican) opinions on gun statutes. In addition, click on the DC Gun Ban Trial thread to see a copy of the amicus brief Thurbert Baker signed onto declaring not only that the Second Amendment is an individual right, but that it is in Georgia's interest to see to it that the Second Amendment is recognized in DC to protect the right to carry of Georgians visiting there.

I am not aware of Mike Bowers doing anything like that.

Just this week, an AG attorney announced in federal court that the AG's office is researching the firearms license application form and may change the form to get rid of the requirement that one disclose his social security number and employment information to apply for a GFL, and notify all 159 counties immediately of the change. Whether the office eventually dies this is to be seen, but this is just one more example of an AG's office that takes gun issues seriously.

As for the public gathering clause, the attorney general is not free simply to disregard the statute or declare it not good policy. That is not what an AG's job is about. If you want O.C.G.A. 16-11-127 repealed, you need to go have lunches with your Representative and Senator in the General Assembly (now, in the off season) and get them to do it.

This is just a rhetorical question: Have you spoken with them lately about it? If not, how do they know you even care?

P.S. While I do know that the AG' office sometimes drags its feet on the resiprocity issue (note Missouri and Arizona currently), they do issue an opinion usually within a year or so to recognize reciprocal states.
    Other than the game that was played with Alaska, which was straightened out recently, I am not aware of the AG's office failing to recognize a state that honors Georgia's license.

7. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

I agree with Malum. With have an awesome AG in office right now. The problem is with the legislature and I am afraid that is where we are going to have to begin the fix. Malum is right, Thurbert Baker takes 2nd amendment issues very seriously and we should do whatever we can to keep him in office.

8. Bradford

Bradford New Member

My Question was not to infer the current A.G.'s interpertation is bad, but rather if we had to worry about someone else being elected to the seat with a different opinion. I thought the current AG still was Bower and was only familiar with his offices " unofficial opinion" on public gathering that is posted on packing.org. I am also aware that it is not in is power to change or disregard the statute, but interpertation of such a vague clause is relevant. I have not had the pleasure of having lunch with any of my reps., but I do email my U.S. Congressman regularly with my concerns.
    With that said, thank you for all the info on Thurbert Baker, I will probably visit his website to make a campaign contribution.
    In 2004, while I was living in West Virginia, Joe Manchin was elected gov. with an A rating from the NRA, and in two years now he still has NOT expanded reciprocity beyond Ky. and Va., nor allowed for non-resident CCW applications. Just another reason why I question A-ratings like Ralph Reeds, and try to find out any additional info. Thanks again for the info on Baker.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Here is a link to the brief he filed (well, signed onto with other Attorneys General) in the Dictrict of Columbia Court of Appeals:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... 76&start=0
    (It is the second link in the first post)

Just a word of caution - your U.S. Congressman can't really do anything about Georgia's off limits restrictions. I also think you might be shocked at how easy it is to contact your state Representative right now during the off season.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Well, we need to keep our ears open. I do not know his position on the issues to which this site is dedicated. Ralph Reed's site claims he is a "Second Amendment Advocate." I do not really know how much a Lt. Governor can influence legislation anyway.

11. hall911guy

hall911guy New Member

For Lt. Governor, please vote for Casey Cagle. Although he isn't listed as a cosponsor, he cosponsored SB396 and voted yea for it, Ralph Reed has no legislature voting record, so he can say he's a '2A Advocate' all he wants, but Casey Cagle has put it on record.

If you live in Senate District 49 (Hall and part of Jackson Counties) vote for Lee Hawkins, he is endorsed by the NRA unlike Mark Musselwhite and Jeffery Williams.

Just my .02 8) 8) 8)

12. gunsmoke50

gunsmoke50 New Member

I'm in need of some info on people that are pro 2A in my neck of the woods.I live in Forsyth county and I'm not sure who is running here that is pro 2A I would like someone who is for a bill that didn't get passed this year with was HB 998 it was a good bill until they twisted the first draft :twisted:.I don't vote that much because I'm a younger voter that think that all politician do is lie,cheat and even steal just to get into office. But I do have faith in the system to change bad laws and make good ones.The law that I really want changed is the public gathering law and public places law and give us a better list of place off limts like a court house or any goverment buildings.Which I think those two laws are wacked in the head.They need to come back with the first HB 998 that told the employer where to go**** about their policy and my 2A right to carry in my car in Georgia if you know what I mean.

13. Wiley

Wiley New Member

For those trying to find WHO is running in the primaries in their County, go to your county elections' web site or the secretary of state's web site. Download the Sample Ballot for the party of your choice (R or D). (See the Gun Links tab at the top of THIS page for the URL to the SoS's site.)

Be aware that the sample will have ALL candidates not just the ones you will be able to vote for. Your voter registration card should show what districts you are in.

14. Malum Prohibitum

The same Secretary of State web site will also inform you as to your district.

15. hall911guy

hall911guy New Member

From GGO:

16. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I don't understand why any candidate for political office would refuse to answer questions from any organization about where he stands on given issues. Such organizations are, essentially, offering free publicity to the candidate.

I agree with the GGO assessment, that a candidate that refuses to answer questions from a gun organization cannot seriously be thought of as "pro-gun." He may not be anti, but he isn't pro, either. Non-commital responses (e.g., "I support the 2nd Amendment") have to be better than no response at all.

17. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I guess that depends on the voter. I feel compelled to interpret refusal to take a stand (note that I'm drawing a distinction between not previously having a position and refusing to take a position when asked) as being opposed to my stand on that issue. I evaluate the candidate based on her stand on all matters of importance to me. And, as I said, refusing to take a stand on one of those matters puts her in the negative column. So, she's alienating some people by refusing to answer questions.

18. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I would much rather vote for somebody who sincerely says, "I don't have a position on that issue," or "I haven't thoroughly considered it" when asked about an issue, than one that won't answer. If she can't respond to voters from whom she's trying to pander votes, how responsive will she be once she's in office?

19. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Non-commital answers such as "I am pro 2nd amendment" are the same as no answer to me. John Kerry said he was pro 2nd amendment. Except his version means he can ban anything he does not like.

Exactly, to me there are 3 main levels to consider.
    A. They honestly do not have a position on that issue and welcomes input from voters.
    B. They are partially or all pro-gun by telling what their position is on many/all gun topics. Even if some answers are ones I do not agree with, a complete questionare with some disagreeable answers will get my vote before anyone in group C.
    C. The ones that wont get my vote or if all fall in this catagory will earn a flip of the coin are the ones that say: They don't have a position and have no time to discuss it; OR They are pro second amendment but believe and studies show that reasonable restrictions are ok; OR Don't respond to questions regarding that topic.

To me it is vote for B's then A's then only if no one falls into either of those will I select someone from C. In todays political climate those that are anti-gun will try to hide their position. If they are pro gun and trying to hide their position then their only hope is that the coin lands on their side.