Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three immigrants in Georgia are suing to challenge a government program that allows local authorities to enforce federal immigration law, and they are seeking to have the case declared a class action to represent many other immigrants.

Experts say the lawsuit, filed last week in federal court in Atlanta, could be the first to directly challenge the legitimacy of the 287(g) program, which has been used to identify more than 180,000 illegal immigrants for deportation nationwide since 2006.

"I have heard of nobody filing a lawsuit on this, and I would have heard about it," said Charles Kuck, a prominent Atlanta immigration lawyer and past president of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.
http://www.ajc.com/news/lawsuit-challen ... 83035.html

·
what me worry?
6,504 Posts
heaven forbid we should follow the law and kick out these law breakers!
whats next arrest bank robbers.

·
Professional Troll
2,151 Posts
"This is a bad thing, and it tears apart families," said attorney Erik Meder, who filed the lawsuit. "While these people are certainly in the country illegally, they aren't criminals and don't deserve to be locked up and separated from their families."
:screwy:

and this little gem...

One, a Mexican citizen who came to the U.S. legally in 2004 but overstayed her authorization, was arrested after a car crash for not having a driver's license and is being deported.

The second, an illegal immigrant arrested on a shoplifting charge that she is fighting, is in deportation proceedings. But the lawsuit argues she should be able to stay until her criminal case is decided.

The third is an El Salvadoran immigrant who has legal authorization to work in the U.S. but was arrested in July on felony forgery charges. Authorities say he used a false immigration document to renew his driver's license, a charge he denies.
:roll: If this SOB of a scumbag lawyer doesn't know what a criminal is, then his ass needs to be barred from practicing law in this country.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
Some 'splain to me about this whole "tearing apart families" thing. I can see it if say, one person is deported and the other is prevented from leaving the country, but as far as I know there's nothing at all prohibiting the entire family from staying together
... wherever they ILLEGALLY Emigrated From.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It sounds like they're immigrants who are in the country legally, how do they have standing to sue?

·
Registered
181 Posts
So even if we bought into that "a national border is just a line and we should all be citizens of the WORLD!" philosophy, thereby ignoring the fact that these people broke the law even coming to this country, they would STILL be criminals. And they're upset that we're enforcing the law on their sorry butts? Wow.

It reminds me of Obama's illegal immigrant aunt, Zeituni Onyango. She overstayed her visa and has lived in public housing and received welfare for the last six years or so. Yep, living off welfare as an illegal immigrant. She hasn't worked a day since she's been here (nor has she received any financial support form Mr Lets-Spread-The-Wealth-Around, but that's a different topic). Anyways, Onyango did an interview recently in which she complained that the system took advantage of her and she didn't ask for any of the free stuff she'd received, including a house (not realizing, apparently, that as an illegal she doesn't even exist in said system and would HAVE to apply for benefits). She also said that, "If I come as an immigrant, you have the obligation to make me a citizen."

Uh...EXCUSE ME?!?! Unbelievable. This is definitely one of the most infuriating political comments I've EVER seen.

Hopefully we can deport both her and her nephew together in 2012. Good riddance.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It seems logically to me that someone who enters a country illegally is by definition an invader and thus has no rights whatsoever, human, civil, or otherwise.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Hughduffel said:
It sounds like they're immigrants who are in the country legally, how do they have standing to sue?
I know we can't sue them. I tried to sue the guy that ran into the back of my car at a red light and destroyed it. He had no license, no insurance, and gave me and the cops two different names that were both false. But I can't sue him in a US court because he's not a citizen. (not to mention nobody can find him because all his info was false)

So how the heck can they sue us?

Az

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,250 Posts
You can use people who are not U.S. citizens, for bad things that they did here personally. When they choose to visit the United States and the State of Georgia, they are subjecting themselves to the jurisdiciton of our courts and our legal system.
(But if you can't find them now, that's a different issue. Regarless of what the law says, as a practical matter they may be able to flee justice by leaving the U.S. and staying away from here until they get a new false identity).

By the way, I think the only "duty of care" owed to burglars is to NOT trap them with a hidden trap or dangerous condition intended to harm them that you knew about and they did not. It's not about a negligence tort. Those should not apply. Only intentional torts (trying to hurt the intruder) can get you sued. And the main rule about hurting burglars is to do it PERSONALLY, face to face, not by the use of a trap, tripwire device, or some remote-activated machine.
That way you can say that YOU felt threatened, and YOU considered your options, and YOU decided to exercise your rights under the castle doctrine and repel the invader from your castle with force.
A machine can't think, and therefore cannot make the judgments necessary to use deadly force on its own, even if you could have done so if you were there yourself.

·
Registered
865 Posts
groats said:
Can anybody name for me another country where I can walk in, collect welfare, get free medical care, and then sue for damages when they try to enforce their laws? Name one, I might just go there!

Are we the only patsy in the world?
Most every other Western nation. :puke:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts