Georgia House Bosses Supporting Gun Confiscation

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by davidkerr, Mar 18, 2007.

1. davidkerr

davidkerr New Member

Here we go again guys. It is time to turn up the heat on the Georgia House of Representatives. I received this today from georgia Gun Owners:

"(Atlanta, March 16) -- Two Ga. House bosses are helping the anti-gunners blockade the HB 6 Gun Confiscation Ban.

Rep. Earl Ehrhart (R-Powder Springs), Chairman of the House Rules Committee, is a key player in deciding which bills die, and which bills live and go to the floor for a vote by the full House.

At the last House Rules Committee meeting, Chairman Ehrhart scheduled a handful of non-controversial bills to be debated on the floor next day instead of HB 6. If HB 6 doesn't reach the floor by Wed. Mar. 21 [Now Mar 27, M.P.], under House rules it's dead for the year.

You elected your State Rep. to go to Atlanta and deal with tough issues. You have a right to know how your Rep. stands on gun confiscation. It's the floor vote that counts.

It's time to let Mr. Ehrhart know he needs to quit stalling on HB 6.

Please act IMMEDIATELY when you get this alert. This is the beginning of a big fight. Mr. Ehrhart's committee meets next at 11:00 am Mon. Mar. 19 to consider HB 6 again. See action items below.

HB 6 was given a "Do Pass" recommendation by the House Judiciary (Non-Civil) Committee on Jan. 30.

That's when Mr. Ehrhart started stalling. First he claimed it was too early in the session to discuss the bill. But he couldn't keep on saying that.

Next he said he was afraid it wouldn't pass. But then the HB 89 "Right to Carry in the Car" bill passed 130-30, and it's clear the Ga. House is overwhelmingly pro-gun.

Now he's claiming it's too late in the session to act on HB 6. Yet between now and the midnight Mar. 21 deadline, Mr. Ehrhart will cut back room deals to put dozens of less important bills on the floor.

Rep. Sharon Cooper (R-Marietta) is a member of the House Rules Committee and former Majority Caucus Chairman (a high-level boss). Usually a fence-sitter on guns, she's been leading the attack against HB 6. She wants to amend HB 6 to let the Governor ban the sale of guns during an emergency, even though that's when people might need to buy a gun the most.

ACTION ITEMS

1. (top priority) Call Rep. Ehrhart's office at 404-656-5141 and leave a message asking him to bring HB 6 to the floor immediately for a vote by the full House. To make double-sure your message gets through, e-mail Mr. Ehrhart personally at:

eaeh@facilitygroup.com

2. (secondary) Call Rep. Cooper's office at 404-656-5069 and leave a message saying people have the right to keep and bear arms, and an emergency is just when they might really need to buy one the most. To make double-sure your message gets through, phone her district office at 770-956-8357 and leave it there too. Word is Rep. Cooper doesn't use e-mail, so please make those calls.

3. (always do this anyway) Forward a copy of this e-mail alert to three (3) people you know in Georgia who own guns or support the right to keep and bear arms.

For more information on gun legislation, go to: www.georgiagun.org"

2. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Are we sure this guy is a Republican?

Sounds more like a closet Hilary-lover...

Oh, I almost forgot Rudy is supposed to be a Republican too, but I don't like him either.

3. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I just called Rep Ehrhart's office and spoke to Keith and asked him to tell Rep Ehrhart to bring HB 6 to a full floor vote immediately! No more stalling. This bill was important to all present and future gun owners in this state.

4. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I just called Rep Cooper's office and spoke with a lady (didn't get her name) but told her that we should have the right to hold on to our legally purchased firearms in case of an emergency if our Governor declares one. We should not go through the humiliation that the legal gun owners of New Orleans did. And finally, if our Federal Government can pass this law, certainly GA can!

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

UPDATE: Crossover day is now March 27, which means success is more likely if we keep up the pressure.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Rep. Cooper is on the Judiciary Non-Civil Committee and offered an amendment allowing sales to still be banned during emergencies, but the amendment was defeated.

7. pyromaster

pyromaster Member

Does anyone know if the Rules Committee discussed this bill today at 11?

According to the e-mail I got from GeorgiaGuns "The committee could meet as early as 9:00 am Tue. morn. Mar. 20 to consider HB 6 a third time. And anytime before the Mar. 27 deadline, Chairman Ehrhart could call a special meeting to reconsider HB 6 or other bills for floor action."

I had called and e-mailed Reps Ehrhart and Cooper over the weekend and just want to make sure I know what happened, if the Rules Committee is meeting tomorrow, and if we need to keep pressuring him until Mar 27 before contacting him again.
    Thanks

Jeff

8. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Representative Ehrhart,

As Chairman of the House Rules Committee you are a key player in seeing that this Bill gets a chance to be voted on by the full House. Several minor, non-controversial Bills have been scheduled by you & your committee while this very important 2nd Amendment Bill sits in limbo. This Bill was given a "Do Pass" recommendation by the House Judiciary Committee over 40 days ago and you have been stalling on putting this Bill up for a full vote ever since. First it was "Too early in the session to discuss the Bill" then it was "You were afraid it wouldn't pass" most recently you are claiming "it's too late in the session to act on HB6".
    NONE of those statements were true Representative Ehrhart.
    This Bill was approved in Committee, it should not be your place to deprive my Legislative Representative the chance to vote for ME on this matter. Schedule the Bill and let the people of Georgia have their say through their respective Representatives. By killing this Bill you are taking my 2nd Amendment rights away. With all due respect sir you do not have the right to do that.
    Please schedule this Bill for a vote by the full House.

Sincerely,

Tinkerhell
    GeorgiaCarry.org Member

9. Malum Prohibitum

We are now one week from crossover day.

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Done again !!!

11. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Been trying to get through, but keep getting shuttled to voicemail, hopefully because we are burning up the switchboards.

12. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Just talked to Shiela Raney (admin asst.). Asked that HB6 be moved to the full house. She said she would pass on the message.

13. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

This is the reply I just got from Representative Ehrhart;

"And just when did I make the statements you attributed to me?? I would suggest that whoever told you such has a problem iwth the truth. Perhaps he is the same person calling my children and screaming at them or abusing my secretary. I was negotiating a majority to pass the bill. Now I am not."

14. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Ditto

15. kkennett

kkennett New Member

This is disturbing. Is this in response to an email? Is it posted somewhere? Either way, it is simply unacceptable if people are acting that way.

16. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I am sure that it is no one on this board if that statement is even true!

17. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

I emailed him back and asked him 'Why?" this is his response;

"Because I cannot negotiate with those who want to delay second amendment rights while those on my team are stabbing me in the back."

18. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

What does that mean? Does he think folks are trying to make him look like the bad guy?

19. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Tinkerhell:

May I ask where you got the statements you attributed to Rep. Ehrhart?

If accurate they must have a source so that we can go back to Rep. Ehrhart with proof.

If inaccurate we, who want HB6 (and HB143, which was introduced by Rep. Ehrhart) need to know who has been telling lies and working for our defeat!