Georgia fishing license

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Tinkerhell, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

The wife & I went to get a couple of licenses this wekeend as we were planning to do some paddling on the local river for a few hours & figured we would wet a line while we were at it. So I pop into the local wallyworld & find someone that can run the machine to print out a license. They requested my SS# which I declined to provide. The woman then informed me that it's mandatory, it has to be keyed into the machine that prints the license. I asked if she had anything in writing from DNR or anyhting else that explains why my SS# was needed. She said something about it does a background check or criminal record check or something then explained that the machine has declined people a license before because they had outstanding issues (warrants?) against them. I got a copy of the fishing regulation put out by DNR & the only thing listed is that a SS# is required.

So my quesiton is does anyone have any idea why they require the SS# and if it is legal for them to do so?

We finaslly did give our #'s so we could legally fish. :evil:

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

It has to do with using fishing and hunting licenses to track "deadbeat dads" down when they skip out on thier child support payments. There is a law that allows them to do this, I do not have the reference handy though...

3. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I should follow the adivse I normally give. A bit of work on the DNR page turned up the following:

So I guess half of my question is answered - why. The other half is this legal is still hanging. I know very little about what states/fed can do with the SS#. While I agree with the intent of tracking down child support dead beats I don't like using the SS# to do it.

And btw isn't the bit in italics BS. We doing have to provide the SS# for a GFL.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

There is an exception in the law for recreational licenses (includes hunting and fishing). This is, as already noted, to keep "deadbeat Dads" from hunting and fishing. Congress also passed an exception for drivers licenses back in the 1970s.

Yes, it includes all the types of licenses listed in your quote, but not "any" license as stated in the comment in your quote.

5. tony218

tony218 New Member

i got my fishn' lic. about 2 weeks ago she never asked for SSN.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, there is an exception that allows it. This does not mean that they have to.