Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the differences between the 2 manufacturers besides being on opposite ends of i-20? ive shot both and i find that atl arms being cheaper seems to be dirtier than georgia arms...what say yall? PS i cant find anything in search so i figured id ask...

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've shot both, GA Arms seems to be "cleaner" in my pistols. Both go bang everytime.
I do have have one bit$$ with a bulk can of 7.62 out of GA Arms. I wasn't thinking when I picked it up, and went through about a hundred rds in my sks. Being just plain lazy I didn't clean it for about a month afterwards, only to find out the hard way it's corrosive. Yugo surplus if I looked it up it correctly. It really chewed the up bolt face of my otherwise spotless SKS, not happy. I'd gotten away with being lazy with known non-corrosive ammo before and just didn't think about it. A simple warning label would have been nice....

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I have tried to fired a lot of Atlanta Arms .45ACP that just will not feed in 5 different 1911s with a variety of magazines. It just wont make the transition... even in the one that I would normally say will eat anything.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Georgia Arms - I like. (It shoots as well as most anything I find at Walmart.)
Atlanta Arms - Not so much. ( It doesn't seem to feed as well, seems dirtier, etc.)
Of course, this is just my opinion.
:wink:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
For what they charge nowadays, I'd rather just buy factory loads at Walmart. At least I get new, once fired brass that way to supply my own reloading operation.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
SongDogSniper said:
For what they charge nowadays, I'd rather just buy factory loads at Walmart. At least I get new, once fired brass that way to supply my own reloading operation.
:righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton:

·
Registered
308 Posts
SongDogSniper said:
I buy most of my target ammo from Georgia Arms. I get 1000 rounds of 9mm for $220, including the ammo box, at gun shows. At Walmart, I get 1000 rounds of 9mm in cardboard/plastic for $210 if they have the 250/round boxes in stock.

I think the prices are just fine for what I buy.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Your Russian ammo is dirty also clean your weapon problem solved. Man I have seen my share of nasty weapons. I shoot my AK with Winchester or Remington but is is nothing like Wolf, Brown Bear, however just clean your weapon. I will clean mine at the range before I leave or 1st thing when I get home.

I have shot GA Arms ammo but not there rifle stuff I have heard from guys like myself that train alot and are always in one class or another blewn up rifles mainly AR's and they got their ammo from GA Arms. I know of one guy who wanted to sue them and after 4 months they replaced his weapon. This was about 4 to 5 years ago.

Next thing if you are just plinking with an AR and not running it hard in a class, Russian ammo is fine, AR's don't like steel cased ammo if you are running your weapon hard they like brass I have seen AR's start to choke after a while. It also has somethig to do with the coating they put on the steel cases after you get finished clean your AR you will be able to tell the difference in the color of your chamber.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Not what you asked but I will toss this in here since it's related...

At the Conyers GunRunners show I met the guys from GUNN Ammo... http://www.gunnammo.com
and bought a small sample of each 9, 40 and 45 ammo (200 rounds of each)
My Dad and I took it to the range and ran it thru
9mm in my Jericho (which tends to be fussy)
.40 in my XDM
and .45 thru my Kimber Ulta TLE II...

No issues on any of it and I cleaned all 3 guns after the range trip..
It was hardly worth the effort to take 'em down...

I just placed an order for a few hundred rounds of each - I'm pretty happy with all of it.

btw- they're in Blakely Georgia... :D

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
RickN said:
SongDogSniper said:
I buy most of my target ammo from Georgia Arms. I get 1000 rounds of 9mm for $220, including the ammo box, at gun shows. At Walmart, I get 1000 rounds of 9mm in cardboard/plastic for $210 if they have the 250/round boxes in stock.

Just keep in mind you are comparing prices of re-manufactured ammunition that has been assembled by a local third party from re-processed range brass that has already been fired at least once (and perhaps more) times. You are comparing the price of this re-manufactured ammunition to the price of brand new factory ammunition in virgin brass cases, assembled by major ammunition manufacturers like Federal, Winchester and Remington.

Nothing wrong with re-manufactured ammunition, just like there is nothing wrong with re-manufactured brake pads or brake calipers. They work, and most folks opt for the re-manufactured parts when cost is a major concern. But I am not sure that I personally would be content paying the same price for a re-manufactured brake caliper as I would for a brand new OEM caliper.

There is a lot to be said for being "green" and conserving metallic resources by using re-manufactured ammo. :righton:

·
Registered
308 Posts
SongDogSniper said:
RickN said:
SongDogSniper said:

Just keep in mind you are comparing prices of re-manufactured ammunition that has been assembled by a local third party from re-processed range brass that has already been fired at least once (and perhaps more) times. You are comparing the price of this re-manufactured ammunition to the price of brand new factory ammunition in virgin brass cases, assembled by major ammunition manufacturers like Federal, Winchester and Remington.

Nothing wrong with re-manufactured ammunition, just like there is nothing wrong with re-manufactured brake pads or brake calipers. They work, and most folks opt for the re-manufactured parts when cost is a major concern. But I am not sure that I personally would be content paying the same price for a re-manufactured brake caliper as I would for a brand new OEM caliper.

There is a lot to be said for being "green" and conserving metallic resources by using re-manufactured ammo. :righton:
Good points. For my use -- target ammo -- I'm fine using re-manufactured. My carry loads are all Federal HST hollow-points.

As far as price, is there any recommendation for someone who sells 9mm 115 grain ammo substantially cheaper than the Walmart UMC 250-round boxes ($53)? 1000 rounds for under $200?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Signal 69 said:
Your Russian ammo is dirty also clean your weapon problem solved. Man I have seen my share of nasty weapons. I shoot my AK with Winchester or Remington but is is nothing like Wolf, Brown Bear, however just clean your weapon. I will clean mine at the range before I leave or 1st thing when I get home.

Huge difference in corrosive vs non corrosive. I dont care what the action/barrel looks like, carbon fouling will not eat the face of my bolt. Nor will it damage the gas piston and transfer rod under the sight. If it was labeled corrosive it would still be on their floor.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I got some 7.62x39 from GA Arms and it wasnt listed as being corrosive and luckily I cleaned my weapon the same day but could already see the corrosion setting in after half a day. The Ammo was good but if you sell corrosive ammo give a warning sign (Yeah I should have asked before hand also).

·
Registered
555 Posts
Atlanta777 said:
I got some 7.62x39 from GA Arms and it wasnt listed as being corrosive and luckily I cleaned my weapon the same day but could already see the corrosion setting in after half a day. The Ammo was good but if you sell corrosive ammo give a warning sign (Yeah I should have asked before hand also).
I knew I wasn't the only one out there who got this wonderful surprise.

·
BANNED (not really)
3,328 Posts
I've been shooting Federal 115gr 9mm from Walmart and getting it for $10.47 / 50. About a buck or so cheaper than the Winchester... shoots just the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts