Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
69,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not think I will be using this ammo again.

Atlanta Arms 180 grain shot straight and true.

Georgia Arms ammunition keyholed at least twice that I saw - not at close distances, but out at 20 and twenty five yards. It was their 180 grain "bag" o' ammo. It was cheap. I tried it. I did not like it. I got what I paid for, I suppose.

DKing opined that perhaps it was plated rather than jacketed and that therefore the Glock barrel no likey. I have no opinion on that, but wanted to post the results for others.

http://georgia-arms.com/new10mm180grful ... k-2-1.aspx

The ad says FMJ. It does not say who makes the bullet. Can plated be advertised as FMJ?

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
The Glock has polygonal rifling right?
Any chance you can shoot one of those rounds into a pile of wet phonebooks or waterjugs and get a picture of the recovered round?
Any deformation of an unfired round in the chamber? Like the 3rd round in the magazine for example?

Also thinking you can compare hardness with a multi tool by trying to cut a FMJ round and a plated round and then squeezing both with pliers. Of course if you have a hardness tester on hand, don't bother with the multi-tool.

Just thoughts....

·
Registered
758 Posts
Any updates on the ammo?

·
69,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SheriffOconee said:
Call Larry and talk to him tomorrow MP. Let him know, see what happens.
Left a message this morning.

·
69,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SheriffOconee said:
Forgot to update - he said to stop in and see him - he would make it right.

Apparently the issue is that the velocity involved in the 10mm results in the plated bullet slipping in the stock Glock barrel. Jacketed bullets do not do this. These bullets would work fine in a rifled barrel, and they probably work well, the exact same bullet, loaded into .40 S&W brass, but not 10mm brass.

Thanks for the advice, Sheriff.

·
Uninvited Guest
599 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Can plated be advertised as FMJ?
Malum Prohibitum said:
...Apparently the issue is that the velocity involved in the 10mm results in the plated bullet slipping in the stock Glock barrel. Jacketed bullets do not do this...
So plated can be advertised as FMJ?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Of course you can plate the jacket onto the center metal!

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
SheriffOconee said:
Forgot to update - he said to stop in and see him - he would make it right.

Apparently the issue is that the velocity involved in the 10mm results in the plated bullet slipping in the stock Glock barrel. Jacketed bullets do not do this. These bullets would work fine in a rifled barrel, and they probably work well, the exact same bullet, loaded into .40 S&W brass, but not 10mm brass.

Thanks for the advice, Sheriff.
I have always found their customer service to be outstanding......glad it worked out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts