Georgia Aquarium posted

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Gunstar1, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Posted no knives or guns and they wand you at the entrance.

Before I add it to a list. Does "Georgia Aquarium Inc. (non-profit, 501c3)" mean that it is not publicly owned or operated?

From what I have read the Marcus Foundation gave $200mil and with it set up Georgia Aquarium Inc. as a non-profit, 501c3. All donations went to this company. I don't think any tax money went into it.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

My off the cuff response would be that a nonprofit is still private. That does not necessarily answer the question of who owns the property, but I have heard nothing about any public entity ownership or operation. That does not mean, of course, that as a private property owner they cannot basically do what they want and exclude what they want.

Thank you for the heads up.

3. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Alcoholic Beverages

My understanding is they do sell alcoholic beverages there. That fact alone would qualify as a public gathering.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Surely one cannot stroll the aisles while sipping single malt scotch? Because a shop or restaurant serves alcohol, then that shop or restaurant is off limits, such as a restaurant in a mall. The entire mall is not then off limits. Neither should be the aquarium, I should think.

So, I gotta pay more then $20 a person, then suffer the indignity of getting "wanded," too? :?

The property is private, owned by a foundation to which money was donated.

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Probably afraid of an accident

One of the reasons that guns are banned is probably because they don't want a NG hitting the glass of an aquarium. What makes me think this is that they don't even want LEO to have firearms inside.

6. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

First, a handgun bullet stiking the polymer of the tanks wouldn't have a prayer of penetrating. The thinnest windows are more than an inch thick. I used to work for http://www.norshieldsecurity.com Bullet resistant doors and windows were our bread and butter.

Anyway...

I went to the aquarium for the first time on 2/20/06. As far as the wands of the security people...two words, ankle holster :)

7. wwomack

wwomack New Member

I just went the the aquarium on Sunday. I didn't care for the whole being scanned thing as it leaves a bad impression with me (as it always does).

I agree on the ankle holster as after I was scanned I thought the same thing. They just scan your body and some of your arms but don't go any lower than your waist.

I was surprised to see that they don't really look at what you put in the little tray while they scanned you. I had my pocket knife (not too small) and a speed strip of 38spl ammo I forgot to take out of my pocket when I left my gun in the car. After I was scanned I just picked it all back up and put it in my pockets.

Also, I heavily doubt any common self defense round could penetrate any but the smallest of tanks (of which there aren't many). For instance, the biggest tank (in the Ocean Voyager exhibit) has walls that are approximately 2 feet thick. The seal and otter tanks seem to be about 8 inches thick (from what I remember).

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I had someone rub my first (signed by myself) car 2 weeks after I bought it. Put a small 2in rub on the bumper. From then on that is all I saw until I got it fixed with my own money (no insurance claim, payments too high already).

Even if the barrier did not bust, a bullet would mar the see-through look.

You would have to keep shooting it to make it look like bubbles or something. :shock:

9. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

That is the main reason that cigarette lighters are off limits there too. it's easy to vandalize a plastic tank with the flame.

10. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

Just went yesterday. Didn't get wanded but you are asked to empty your pockets before going through a metal detector. Probably get wanded if you set off the detector.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Probably changed in response to the posts here . . .

12. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Aquarium Off-Limits

The Georgia Aquarium has airport-type security now, with the large metal--detecting gates that you have to walk through, and you must put your metal items and all personal effects (cellphone, etc.) in a basket to be manually inspected. All purses, bags, baby strollers, etc. are checked (well, most of them anyway). No lighters or matches are allowed. I guess they don't want somebody lighting a shoe-bomb and spilling all the fishes onto the tourists.

If you bring something to the checkpoint that is not "illegal" but merely prohibited by their own rules and policies, (like a pocket knife) they will allow you to leave it at the security station, and they will give you a claim ticket for it. You can pick it up later on your way out. I checked my pistol magazine and the loose round that came from my gun's chamber. I told 'em that I always keep a gun with me for protection, but since I knew I couldn't bring it in here, I locked it in my car, and I further told them that since I didn't want some crackhead or vagrant to obtain a loaded and working pistol if he broke into my car, I thought it was safer to take the rounds with me. They just checked it as if it were a pocketknife-- no big deal.

I would think that the Georiga Aquarium qualifies as a public gathering regardless of who owns or operates it. It's a tourist detination, akin to Six Flags. Even if wholly private, the large numbers of people who actually gather there for a common purpose of seeing the show.... wait, that makes it sound just like a movie theater. And we don't have a clear answer to whether or not movie theaters are public gatherings. And since there are many different things to do in the Georgia Aquarium -- several different tanks, different places to stand to view them, plus shopping and dining, too-- the Georgia Aquarium may be more like a mall. In fact, the inside of it LOOKS like a mall! We are pretty sure that mall carry is OK, but mostly due to the AG's unofficial opinion from 20+ years ago.

My head is spinning. I hate trying to figure out what a vague and poorly-worded law means. Especially when the stakes are so high for getting it wrong!

13. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I went to the aquarium recently with a mother in a wheelchair and a grandson in a stroller. Neither had to get out of his or her four-wheeler, and no attempt was made to wand them. Either could have been hiding a large amount of ordnance.

14. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

IMO, a place that charges $20 bucks to get inside isn't "public"

Is it a gathering, sure. A gathering of people who have $20 bucks.

I guess I now have a legitimate reason not to go to that place.

15. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Re: Aquarium Off-Limits

Or a McDonald's....we all gather there for food.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Aquarium Off-Limits

Did you ask whether they would have checked the whole pistol?

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I was thinking that same thing.

18. GAIsecurityofficer

GAIsecurityofficer New Member

As a law enforcement officer, why ask questions? Just like the laws you are protecting, obey the rules we are trying to keep. Whether or not you can "sneak" in a weapon or not, why break our rules!!! We have lock boxes for the firearms if you do not want to keep it in your vehicle. It is blogs like this that a crazy person will read and then know that they can come into the facility and do harm. THINK PEOPLE THINK!!!!

19. IcarryOPEN

IcarryOPEN New Member

Interesting first post. Welcome to the forum, and don't worry about your loaded flashlight, you can carry it in here as long as it remains holstered and the safety engaged.

20. Malum Prohibitum

Like in Home Depot? They do not do any security screening there. In fact, they encourage customers to shop while armed. AND we post about it here. It is like encouraging any crazy person to read what we post and then know that they can come into Home Depot and do harm! THINK, PEOPLE, THINK!!!!

You sure do have me thinking.