Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who recently purchased a new pistol and is selling his old pistol. I would like to purchase his old pistol, but I am very new to this. I understand I need to obtain a GWL, but what else needs to be done for a second hand gun sale? I appreciate any help you all can give me. Thanks!

·
BANNED (not really)
3,328 Posts
Its my understanding that a firearm can be sold to another resident that's legally able to own a firearm without the need to involve a dealer.

You certainly don't need a GWL to buy from a person or a retail store.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm... so no GWL. Do I need to register the pistol somehow? My thinking is, it just can't be so simple as he sells it to me and that's the end of it. Maybe I am wrong. I know Georgia has pretty lax gun laws.

·
BANNED (not really)
3,328 Posts
Nope. No registrations in Georgia are required. For any legal purposes, a bill of sale would be recommended, but it's not required. It would be only to protect either party should the firearm be used in a crime or something like that.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
All of the above is true, provided there are no other prohibitions to you owning a firearm. If your records clear, buy away! You must be 18 to buy from an individual, and 21 to buy from an FFL dealer.

·
BANNED (not really)
3,328 Posts
Kennisau said:
I know Georgia has pretty lax gun laws.
I would say they are as they should be and other states are too involved in private party transactions :righton:

Happy shooting with the new firearm!

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
Dirty J said:
Kennisau said:
I know Georgia has pretty lax gun laws.
I would say they are as they should be and other states are too involved in private party transactions :righton:
This. "...shall not be infringed..." is also in our State constitution.

Firearm registration is prohibited in Georgia (from what I understand -- I don't have a code section to quote).

As for a having a gun safe, there is no "requirement" for that either. If you want one then get one -- if you don't, then don't. YOU are responsible for the safety of your weapons, (falls under the "keep" portion of "...keep and bear arms..."). It is YOUR responsibility to decide what "safe storage" means and to deal with whatever consequences may result from that decision.

Some people have very valuable coin collections. Some of those people lock them in a safe while others keep them on display on their walls.

Freedom and responsibility are two sides of the same coin.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Like Dirty J said, you don't need a GWL for a private gun sale. And like him, I would recommend a Bill of Sale be created to protect both you and the seller. You can find a Bill of Sale online for free.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Kennisau said:
Hmmm... so no GWL. Do I need to register the pistol somehow? My thinking is, it just can't be so simple as he sells it to me and that's the end of it. Maybe I am wrong. I know Georgia has pretty lax gun laws.
This is normal for our nation. Places that put on heavy restrictions are abnormal.

Let me guess. You're not from around these parts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts