General Aviation Airport - ??

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Bulldawg182, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

As a private pilot, I spend lots of time at general aviation airports like PDK. Some of the general aviation airports around the southeast are exclusively used by private pilots while others, like PDK, also are bases for commercial operations by private and public companies. I have always carried while at the airport and while flying and have frequently entered the "terminal" buildings which serve as FBOs (Fixed Base Operators) for both private and commercial flights.

While these flights are not "scheduled airlines" as defined by the FAA's "Part 21" definition, there appears to be enough ambiguity in the Georgia Gun Laws to potentially cause a conflict.

Any thoughts on whether or not this should be a concern?

2. AV8R

AV8R Banned

First of all, I'm not sure that there's any law specifically regulating weapons at GA (general aviation) airports.

The flight school I attended and later worked for at PDK had a policy of not allowing firearms on school property or in their aircraft. I kept my firearm in my truck while working there, but would CC if I came in for a personal flight or if I was moonlighting (which was against another policy! 8) )

If I were you, I would call the airport administration office (if it is a towered field or an airport that has an office on the field) and get their guidance. Personally, GA airports are EXACTLY the sort of places one should carry. Security measures range from none to half-assed at best.

Given that you are facing only policies, CC and go about your business. OCing might get you a request to leave, and maybe even denied future business (especially with those stuck-up Signature FBOs).

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... ection=127

O.C.G.A. § 16-12-127
    Prohibition on firearms, hazardous substances, knives, or other devices; penalty; affirmative defenses

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person, with the intention of avoiding or interfering with a security measure or of introducing into a terminal any . . . firearm . . . to:

(1) Have any such item on or about his or her person . . .

So, what is a terminal?

4. Malum Prohibitum

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... ection=122

(10) "Terminal" means an aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle station, depot, any such transportation facility, or infrastructure relating thereto operated by a transportation company or governmental entity or authority. This term includes a reasonable area immediately adjacent to any designated stop along the route traveled by any coach or rail vehicle operated by a transportation company or governmental entity operating aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle transportation facility and parking lots or parking areas adjacent to a terminal.

(11) "Transportation company" or "company" means any person, group of persons, or corporation providing for-hire transportation to passengers or freight by aircraft, by bus upon the highways in this state, by rail vehicle upon any public or private right of way in this state, or by all, including passengers and freight in interstate or intrastate travel. This term shall also include transportation facilities owned or operated by local public bodies; by municipalities; and by public corporations, authorities, boards, and commissions established under the laws of this state, any of the several states, the United States, or any foreign nation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1978, p. 2238, § 2; Ga. L. 1988, p. 415, § 2; Ga. L. 2002, p. 1094, § 5.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Study carefully. These are extremely serious felonies, with penalties of 10-20 years.

Is it owned by a "transportation company" or a "governmental entity or authority?"

Well, who else is gonna own it? :D

6. Malum Prohibitum

No other state in the nation has a law like this. Look at what "terminal" includes in the definition. Are you safe leaving it in your car in the parking lot? Is that legal?

This law is so broad it outlaws being too close (how close?) to a bus stop. It is an outrage.

Research carefully before following internet advice (yes, especially mine). :wink:

7. AV8R

AV8R Banned

That's all fine and dandy for commercial aviation. Walking out onto the ramp to your little spamcan Cessna isn't the same thing.

I think if we can clearly define "terminal", "airline", and "commercial aviation" with respect to firearms and GA code, then it will all be as clear as, well, mud.

8. Malum Prohibitum

I don't think it is so fine and dandy . . .

9. Malum Prohibitum

I have openly carried in the "terminal" for commercial aviation in another state, just this year (posted here about it).

I do not see what the big deal is, especially since one can carry in the terminals in MOST states so long as one does not go past the metal detectors.

This map does not control for public building restrictions, but it gives one a pretty good idea.

Even California allows a license holder to carry in the terminal, for crying out loud. California!

10. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Flight school = transportation company?

Is an FBO (fixed base operator) that rents GA aircraft a transportation company?

Would a county owned GA airplane ramp that your personally owned aircraft is tied down to be off limits to carry based on the code you cited?

I have my own answers, but they may not be correct or lawful. :D

11. Malum Prohibitum

I don't know. Are you willing to risk 20 years in prison and being a convicted felon for the rest of your life to find out?

12. AV8R

AV8R Banned

13. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Does having the owner's permission allow you to bypass the laws that would seeming get you for walking through the "transportation company's" building to get to the owner's aircraft?

14. Malum Prohibitum

No. Different law.

15. Malum Prohibitum

But there is another exception. Unload it and lock it up in the baggage and declare it to the pilot (yourself?).

16. Malum Prohibitum

:rotfl:

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:screwy: Then you'd be talking to yourself and they'd deem you crazy and unfit to have a gun... :roll:

18. Malum Prohibitum

It is probably PC for a search warrant, at least.