Gen4 G26 pics and range report

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Melissa5, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

First off, I want to address the size difference between the Gen3 and Gen4 grip since that is the main reason I bought the Gen4. The Gen4 grip is definitely smaller in circumference than the Gen3. The Gen4 is on the left.

[​IMG]

From the picture above, there doesn't look like much difference, but check the next two pictures. The first is the Gen3. The second is the Gen4.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For a small hand, that's a significant difference. Staying with the grip for the moment, another big difference is the grip texture. I think I prefer the Gen3 texture. The Gen4 texture is a little more aggressive and might not be the best for carry or shooting hundreds of rounds in one day. I only fired 90 rounds after picking it up and noticed a slight redness and stinging in my palm. But that's just the opinion of someone with soft, girly hands.

[​IMG]

Report continued in next post because of picture limit.

2. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Here are the included backstraps that make the grip either 2mm or 4mm bigger.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for the range report. I started with Federal 115gr FMJ and had a failure to feed on the 2nd round. That kind of freaked me out knowing about the g17/g19 problems. I continued firing and had two more FTFs and one instance of the slide not locking back on the last round. Don't know if I was limp-wristing or what, but at that point I was really freaked out. Took a short break and started firing 115gr Speer Gold Dots. The G26 ate them right up without a single hiccup. I felt much better after that. In a few days, I'll go back to the range and try the Gen4 with some Speer Lawman.

Altogether, I'm neutral about the Gen4 G26. I like the smaller grip, but am not thrilled with the grip texture or failures that I experienced. Hopefully, my opinion will change for the better after spending a little more time with the gun.

3. JMan

JMan New Member

did you break it down and clean all the excess oil off before you fired it new. This will cause the same issue .

4. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

No, I never do, but it will be clean before the next range trip.

5. JMan

JMan New Member

If you clean it before you shoot it being new you will not have a single issue , you have my word :lol: :lol:

6. Ty D

Ty D New Member

If you do have issues, then just keep shooting. Chances are, it just needs to be cleaned and broken in. Most handguns are that way, Glock is no different.

The issues with the 17 and 19 were due to changes made to the guide rod/recoil springs. The guide rod and springs did not change between the Gen 3 and Gen 4 26/27s, so that is a non-issue.

7. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

I thought the Glock manual recommends leaving the factory grease on it to help break the gun in? I don't have a Glock manual with me, so don't quote me on that.

8. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I hardly ever clean a Glock.
    I am willing to be it isn't the gun, it's the 115 grn ammo, or limpwristing, or a combination of the above.
    Note that the gun functioned flawlessly with full power ammo.
    It ain't broke, don't fix it. Just feed it reliable ammo and hold on to it. It will work.

9. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks, SO!

10. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

That thing needs a good handhold and good ammo.
    I first went to Glock armorers school in March 1991. I have been an armorer since.
    ( I know when it was cause I was in Smyrna at school when I heard about Rodney King)
    Glocks have always liked good strong ammo and a strong grip.

11. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

What grain ammo do you suggest for 9mm?

12. Ty D

Ty D New Member

The Glock manual says:
    "Note the copper colored lubricant found on portions of the slide of brand new Glock pistols should not be removed, as it will help to provide long-term lubrication of the slide"

Long-term lubrication = sitting on the dealer's shelf. It's there when it leaves the factory, and it's there months later when it goes from distributor to store to customer. Leave it or clean it off, it won't matter either way. The Glock factory lubricant isn't a special break-in blend. The recommendation to leave it is because people seem to forget the importance of lubricating their firearm, and factory lube is better than no lube.

And the Sheriff is 100% correct as usual. The Glock isn't a paper punching gun, it's a duty gun, designed to shoot duty (heavier/hotter) loads.

13. Ty D

Ty D New Member

Not directed at me, but...

As you noticed when you shot, not all ammo is created equal. Grain is the bullet weight, but different manufacturers use different powders and different loads behind the same weight bullet. Speer GD is hotter than the Federal you were shooting. You can check the velocity and pressure listed on the box to find a hotter load that your gun will cycle through better.

14. JMan

JMan New Member

I ALWAYS clean mine when I buy them new .I guess from owning a Taurus Pt145 having issues cleaning it was the problem . So after that I always clean them , as they tend to throw alittle extra lube so it will not rust sitting for months .

15. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Thanks, Ty D. I just learned something new.

16. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

the "copper colored lubricant" is anti-seize. You can buy it at any parts store. Some anti-seize is grey, so if you want to match the color of the original, be sure to read the label.
    We were told in '91 that what Glock uses/used is a GM product

17. maggie

maggie New Member

The one I have is called " Kopper Kote " .

18. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Something I've not noticed mentioned, but maybe I'm onto something.... the grip texture you mentioned....

Definitely not trying to come off as sexist or anything like that here, just shooting straight:

The fairer of our species tends to have a softer epidermis than the other half which has a thicker, more leathery epidermis. I'm wondering if you might need to get a light sandpaper and soften out the roughness of the texture because the grip itself as you've shown fits you much much better. I'm betting that grip texture was bugging you much sooner than when you decided to give it a break. It probably stung you early in the session, then you gripped tighter and used better ammo and it seemed to smooth out, but you were still left with a red hand. Shoot it a couple more times and see if you are still left with a red hand, if so, I suspect you might need to soften up the texture.

Your pistol should be as comfortable as your favorite old blue jeans. Sometimes, you have to tailor something to fit just right.

19. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Makes sense, JiG. Not sure I'm ready to sandpaper my new Glock :shock: I thought about putting a rubber grip on it, but don't want to make it bigger. Like you said, I'll give it some more time and see what happens.

20. 69953

69953 Guest

Melissa, I've been eager to try a Gen 4 G26, and was thinking of getting one for my wife. Would you be willing to let her try it sometime? We shoot at The Firing Lane as well.