Gen 4 Glock 19

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Galahad, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Galahad

Galahad New Member

I picked it up on Monday and finally got some range time yesterday. No surprises...the experience of shooting a G19 has remained pretty much the same for decades, but there were some nuances to this particular incarnation worth mentioning.

1) I really like the new grip. The smallest grip (no backstrap module attached - pictured below) felt like the gun pointed more instictively than previous models. The "hump" in the backstrap was not as pronounced and the improved rough-texture is comfortable (The RTF models prior to Gen 4 were a little TOO aggressive).

2) Felt recoil is about the same, but there seems to be less muzzle-flip. The new guide-rod was a necessity for .40 S&W Glocks, but I think the former design works just as well in the G19. The main point is, the ne guide-rod does not negatively affect recoil.

3) The larger magazine release is a nice upgrade. I hardly had to change my grip to engage it and reload.

That said, I'm not sure it's worth an extra $50 to upgrade to Gen 4. I've heard this stated, and it's very accurate. "The Gen 4 Glock is an Evolution, not a Revolution).

My Walther PPS is still my primary EDC and my FNP-45 is my favorite range-gun and nightstand weapon. I just feel incomplete without a G19 that can easily fill both of those roles should I need it to.

Apologies for photo quality:

[​IMG]

2. Yeah, the new recoil spring works real well, thats why its being redesigned again .... cause it blows goats.

3. Galahad

Galahad New Member

That's interesting insight, and eloquently stated. I'm probably not as familiar with goats as Blind rat (certainly not at that level of intimacy), but I take that to be a criticism...possibly?

The recoil spring is the same concept as the compact model Glocks, and it does work well. I believe Glock had to re-engineer the G17 spring due to the length of the internal component, but the G19 spring works very well. The spring design was to address ejection issues in the G22, and was included in the 9mm guns as well due to the manufacturing cost re-calibrating machines to produce two slide-designs. 400 rounds yesterday of a broad ammunition selection. Nothing, from cheap WWB to Black Hills +p, failed to cause any issues.

4. jabara572

jabara572 New Member

Nice looking Gen 4 G19, I have a gen 4 G17 myself and it points much better for me as well versus a 3rd gen.

Its $50 more, but you do get an extra magazine!

dont worry about the gen 4 haters, they will never quit.

5. howie1932

howie1932 New Member

I was pondering getting a 19c for carrying. Thanks for the write up.

6. yeah get a compensated gun for carry ...... but make sure you have just black sights put on it.....