Gear Selection

Discussion in 'GENERAL EVENTS' started by Firearmz, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

During a recent Fighting Pistol Class I had mentioned several pieces of gear that I use or have seen used that really worked. Most of the guys did not have note books and pens to record the information so I am going to post some of them and their highlights.

When it comes to concealed carry holsters, magazine carriers, flash lights, sights and other gear if we are not careful we will spend atleast as much as the gun cost on gear that just looked cool or we thought would work only to find out it is not what we needed or wanted.

Holsters:
    There are many and they are chosen for as many reasons. I prefer IWB and my choices are anything by Alessi or Milt Sparks. The Alessi is hard to come by but if you find one jump on it. The Milt Sparks is a bit easier to get but if it is for something other than a Glock 17/19, 23/22, 1911 platforms you will have to wait. I currently have a holster on order from Sparks that has a 24 week waiting period, these holsters are not mass produced but made when you order them. If you go to http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... 0sparks&s= you will see the leather versions of the Sparks Summer Special II, this is my choice for every day carry (EDC). It has a metal re-enforced opening for easy one handed holstering, comfortable and good retention. This holster will last you for YEARS!!!! If you have a gun on a different platform (SIG, HK or something like that) or chose a outside the waist band you can go here www.miltsparks.com and take a look around.

The one review I wrote recently on the Maverick Holster which is here http://firearmz.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=522 is also a good choice. If Kevin adds the sewn in sight rails it will be a much better selection.

SIGHTS:
    Sights are used for more than just aiming with in a tactical situation and special care should be taken in choosing them. I currently have three different sets of sights on about 12 pistols.

Sevigny Carry, I really like these sights for conventional type sights. They have a .145 opening and a .125 front, this offers good light on both sides of the front blade in the rear for precise shooting. They are available with tritium inserts or plain. They are available at http://www.mle-shootingsports.com/.

My sights that I carry for EDC on my G19 are XS Big Dots. I like these for rapid front sight acquisition. You simply lay that BD in the shallow V in the rear, cover what you want to hit and press the trigger. Very fast!!!!! We sell the XS Big Dots and they are $125.00 with tritium front and rear, and less for non-triium.

10-8 Sights are on both 1911’s. They are strong and durable, they can be gotten in different openings in the rear for you preference. They are available at http://www.10-8performance.com/id14.html or http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/10-8-Per ... s-s/80.htm.

Tritium or not?:
    This is the question; my preference is YES, especially on the front. I do not worry so much about the rear; just don’t see a real need for them. If I do opt for them (and I do have them on some guns) I like the single dot in the Heine Straight Eight Design. The rear insert needs to be smaller and dimmer that the front so that they are distinguishable.

Low Profile:
    Most low profile sights are advertised as snag free, what a joke this gimmick has been. Look at a set of Heine or Novaks and the front of the sights are really aero dynamic and smooth, well we are snag free in the wrong freaking direction. We need a hook or square on the front of the sight so that we can hook the rear sight on a belt, holster or similar object to perform one handed stoppages and reloads. The snag free needs to be described at rounded edges to prevent cutting the hand and clothing. Nothing really snag free about them.

This is just an overall high light and if you have any questions just post them.

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Oh, also, the Kydex mag pouches Ken was using are made by talon tactical. He doesn't make any for my P7, but will do custom ones for me if I mail a mag to him, for the normal $15 price.

Ken, I kept forgetting to as you: what's your opinion on the Versa Max II v. the Summer Special? My Blade-tech UCH only has one clip (like the SS) and moves around a lot. Do you think the added stabilization of the extra clip in the VMII would be good for me?

3. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

The Vers-Max is a great holster! The only reason I do not use one is the amount of room it takes up. I am a tall slender fellow and not a lot of realestate around the belt. Also I recommend using single magazine carriers even if you are going to use multiple magazines, they will conform to the belt and body curve more comfortably.

4. budder

I see. I really wish I could try the holsters out for a day before buying!

5. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

BIG +1 on that...

Ken, if you don't mind, what's your height & weight? I'm 6'1" 160 and am also pretty slender (that 160 is actually about 5 lbs over what I normally wiegh. I've been getting lazy in the last month or 3 :oops: ). I'm only just getting into regular carry and only have one holster that has really worked for me & that an el cheapo fobus OWB. I also carry a G19.

In short you & I sound very similar so I'm really interested in what has worked for you.

Do you carry extra mags in your "EDC"?

btw, have no doubt that you will be seeing me in one of your classes before tooo terribly long!

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

How hard are your classes on gear? People were posting about firing with dirt in their guns and something about their holsters getting pulled on . . .
    :shock:

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Get a Glock and you don't have to worry about it. :wink:

8. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

As for my height I am 6'2" and 207lbs.

As for the gear, it is not terribly hard on the gear. It may get bit dirty and e talked about your holster being able to support you trying to keep it in while someone is tugging onit trying to get a gun out of it. If your holster will not support than then it is JUNK!! However don't wear your bar-b-que gear to this class, you will have to wait for the cook out for that stuff.

I do a demo or two with my guns if someone makes a comment about do Glocks or SIG's work.

9. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

If you are slender I must be a figgin bean pole. :?
    :p

10. budder

There are pictures of Ken in the Firearmz picture thread.

11. budder

Ken, what knives do you carry? I seem to remember the RH pocket as a Spyderco P'kal, but I couldn't identify the other two.

Also, if I am right about the P'kal, or if you otherwise have experience with it, why do you like the upper part design, as opposed to the normal Wave kept at the bottom of the pocket?

One more: I assume you would recommend a knife for each side of the body, in case one side gets incapacitated (busy with retention, you get pinned, horrible industrial accident). Is this correct? Is there anything special about why you picked each of your knives? It seems like your LH (non-dominant?) knife was a lot bigger than the RH knife. I also saw that you used your LH knife for everything except a draw demonstration. Any particular reasons for that?

Currently, I carry an Emerson mini-Commander with a plain edge. I'm used to it on my right side, so I think I will leave it there. What would be a good upgrade? A full-size Commander? What type of knife should I look for for my LHS?

12. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

At the class I had 4 knives on me, in the right front pocket was the Spyderco P’KAL, in the left was my general utility knife, the Spyderco Maxim, on the left front of my body I had the true knife built for a defensive purpose, a Shivworks Clinch Pick. (A small fixed blade is better suited that a folder).

I honestly have no preference in the wave design as long as it is large enough that my chances of missing the wave are reduced. The P’kal does offer me the opportunity to remove the wave and carry it normally.

The knife on the left is used as a general purpose knife, cutting boxes, sticks, tape or whatever, in all actuality it could have been a number of knives I own it just happened to be the Maxim that day. As for carrying a knife for both sides, I do not necessarily recommend that, I use the Shivworks Clinch Pick worn on the left of center line of the belt so that it is accessible with either hand.

I also have and frequently carry a Mini-Commander, several Benchmades, Spyderco’s as well as others.

You might try looking at the Clinch Pick if you can find one, they usually sell out pretty quickly and they are a bit pricey. If the price or availability is a problem look at the K-Bar Large TDI Law Enforcement Knife, Serrated or the TDI Law Enforcement Knife.

One knife that I had on me as a last ditch that no one could see was the K-Bar Last Ditch Knife TDI LDK (LAST DITCH KNIFE).

I also had on two pistols.

13. budder

I bet your gear weighs more than you do!

14. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

How do you deal with the knife laws, Ken? While I've always got a knife on me, I do often try to pick something vaguely non-threatening. State law seems to leave the weapon/utility call up to the officer, and county laws seem completely random and often more restrictive. As much as I'd like to have a good fixed blade in a MercHarness or a shiv stuffed in the Harley boots, it seems hard to justify such a thing as not for "offense or defense"...

15. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

I honestly have to say that I do not know much about the Georgia Knife Laws. I just carry them. I will do some research and see if I am violating any laws. The only one I may be violating that I know of is carrying a fixed blade knife conceled.

16. mswicord

mswicord New Member

where was your 2nd handgun?

Mark

17. mswicord

mswicord New Member

you have also talked about carring pepper, where do you carry your pepper spray?

Mark

18. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

I usually carry an ASP Street Defender in the summer months, it holds my keys and OC Spray. It is sturdy enough to be used as a kubaton and can easily be carried stuffed in the front of the pants. In the winter I usually have that and a 2.oz can of Body Guard in a jacket pocket.

[​IMG]

19. budder

I couldn't find out the answer to this: how does the KDK sheath attach? Or you have to use two hands to remove the knife?

20. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

It comes with a small kydex sheath and is either laced in the shoe strings, sewn in a cap or garment. Innovation is yours. I suppose you could even stick velcro it to the inside something. It does come with a neck lanyard.